It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Psoriasis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2004, 01:46 PM   #1

Ciela372 HB User
Unhappy Psoriasis: The Social Problem

I don't think anyone who does not have psoriasis actually understands how very painful it can be. I have encountered people who have thought I was just lying about the pain. When you cannot walk because you have it on your feet, when you can't wear shorts because it's on your legs , when you can't pick up your daughter because it is on your hands, why can't people see that? Don't they see the bleeding and cracking, the open sores with stuff oozing out? It is hard for people with psoriasis to get around especially if they have no money to see a dermatologist and to buy the prescriptions that cost so much yet last for so little time. I have had my thumb nail fall off twice because of this hellacious disease. The skin falling off and all that I have mentioned still will not convince some that psoriasis victims are suffering. I have met some that are sympathetic but the majority are sickened by the sight. Saying, "Eww, what is that?" will not get me to shop at their stores. Has anyone else had bad social experiences because of P?

Old 05-15-2004, 11:05 PM   #2

Flutegirl7 HB User
Re: Psoriasis: The Social Problem

I have eczema (dyshidrotic eczema, on my fingers, toes and elbows). I feel the same way!!! It is so hard to walk sometimes, the more I'm on my feet the more they itch, and soon my toes start burning, they feel like they are on fire. My hands look pretty gross at times, but luckily it's typically not as bad as on my feet. But I'm a classical musician, and people (especially students) are looking at my hands more closely. I find that my students are very sweet and concerned, not grossed out at all. But strangers, like you mention - especially at stores, can be so rude!

I hate how frustrating it is, to not be able to do such simple things.

When I have to go grocery shopping and my feet are really bad, sometimes I want to ask for those motorized carts - but I'm only 27 and feel embarrassed, like I'd be made fun of.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2004, 12:35 PM   #3
(female)

mome22 HB User
Re: Psoriasis: The Social Problem

I also have psoriasis. I have it on my face mostly. It seems to be going elsewhere now like my arms and belly. They are small patches on my arms and belly but they tend to get itchy. People dont seem to understand how it feels, I seem to get self concious, I walk with my head down when it gets bad so people wont see it. I tried to use makeup to cover it up but it only makes it worse. It is very annoying, with the itching, pain and cracking. Along with the looks and comments about maybe you should try this or maybe that. Some people even thought I had an acne problem and have addressed me on it. It doesnt seem to bother me too much anymore as I get older besides that my face has cleared up quite a bit from living in sunny Florida.

Closed Thread