It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Psoriasis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2005, 05:11 PM   #1
(male)

a_little_lost HB User
I have Psoriasis and she has Shingles...

I have a small patch of Psoriasis and my fiance has a small patch of shingles on her back. She went to the doctor they did an HIV test. We get the results next week but we are both extrememly nervous. I've read that Shingles is possible for ANYONE to get, healthy immune system or not...but I also read that Shingles is more common in HIV. There is so much conflicting information that it's easy to get confused. I also read that Shingles in HIV + people usually occurs when TCell counts are pretty low, which would mean that we had this for a long time. The longest we could POSSIBLY have had HIV would be 3 years.

Anyway, Psoriasis is said to be an immune disorder and I'm just connecting the dots.

Do you think it's a coincidence or a sure sign that we are HIV+?

Would her Shingles be worse if it were HIV related?

Old 03-15-2005, 05:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

panaSONIQUE HB User
Re: I have Psoriasis and she has Shingles...

I used to work w/ a woman who contracted shingles for no apparent reason...I'm getting tested for toxoplasmosis, which is more common in HIV+ patients, but i'm HIV-....soo you can't really rely on information and symptoms such as those...weird things happen to our bodies that no one can explain. Congrats on the courage of both of you for getting tested...Did you find that info (about prevelance of shingles/psorasis)on the net? Bad idea if so..
GL :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2005, 05:50 PM   #3
(male)

a_little_lost HB User

Yes, I pretty much found all my info on the net. I know that it's bad to self-diagnos...but it's hard not to constantly search on ****** for everything/anything that I can find.

We are both worried but we're trying to be strong for eachother.

Old 03-17-2005, 12:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

lost spirit HB User

They are both very very comon problems.
1) stay off the internet.... It will only make you even more stressed out
2) you're mind will either relate to what you read or in fact create the symtoms itself.
3) shingles is a mutation of chicken pox after it lays dormant in you're spine for many years or she could have been exposed to some1 who was about to come down with shingles . Pox and shingles both start off like a cold or flu like illness befor they start to drane .
Psoriasis is absolutely comon in anybody healthy or not .
When you're worriad or stressout about hiv every and anything can be a symtom and the search engines on the internet only help to fual the fire .
Get tested and that's the only way for sure to find out .........
In good health..........
.................. Lost Spirit ..................

Old 03-17-2005, 10:10 PM   #5
(male)

ScottCA HB User

My sister had shingles for no reason at all last year. She's super religious and never has sex (she's waiting for marriage - wish i had that strength). The doctor told her it could have been stress.

Relax, i think you guys are fine for what it's worth. All the best.

-Scott

Old 04-12-2005, 07:42 PM   #6
(female)

kuppermama_3 HB User

i had shingles for no reason what so ever they can be very painfull but i doubt that there are from the hiv virus it could be that she has diabetes casue i do know that shingles occur in people with diabetes alot so don't worry so much and just wait for the test the best of luck to you and your fiance hope you keep everyone updated on what you find out thank you

Last edited by kuppermama_3; 04-12-2005 at 07:43 PM.

Closed Thread