My 14 year old daughter began having very very dry cracking skin on her
hands and feet it Dec.04. I took her to are family doctor and she was
diagnosed with eczema and giving triamcinolone ointment. This was working
until the ointment ran out and her skin then got worse. More cracking and
bleeding and she had alot of trouble even walking. In Jan. 05 it was back to
the doctors again she was given the same treatment and again she got
better until the ointment was gone. It again came back but, only getting
worse. Her nails started looking deformed and her fingers became swollen
and the cracks more deep and painful. Back to the doctors we go in Mar.05
This time a senior doctor was called in and he said eczema was what it is
and she could no longer keep using the triamcinolone ointment it was not
good to keep using for long periods of time. He said summer would be coming
and the sun would make the eczema get better. I was at my breaking point
watching my daughter suffer and get no better at all infact she was only
getting worse. I can only go to a dermotologist with a doctors referal with
my insurance so I called and asked the doctor for a referal. I finaly got the
referal for April 28th which was over a month wait. I called my sister -n- law
a nurse of 25 years and she came over and said she did not believe it to be
eczema at all and believes its a rare type of psoriasis that she has herself.
She gave us some tips and some home treatments we could do. Once again
it started getting better ** alot better } . Then as luck would have it the
day of her dermatology appt. My entire family came down with a terrible flu
virus and I had to cancel the appt. The receptioncist said she would call me
later in the day with the new appt. and never did. I have made several
attemps to reach the dermotologist to only get a answering machine in
which I have left numerous messages. In the mean time Katie is having
another out break and just feeling misserable. It was so bad on her feet
that by walking on her heels she ended up with tendanitis in her knee.
So I took her back to the family doctor tonight and ended up with a subsitute
doctor. This doctor was soooooo rude and said they had exhausted there
efforts with Katie and it had to been seen by the dermotologist. Then I
explained how the dermotologist would not respond to my messages and she
said keep trying. I left in tears and Katie in such pain that I took her to the
ER. After waiting 4 hours to see the doctor he said she had to see a
dermotologist and gave her the trimcinolone ointment again.
just at a loss and feel so bad for my daughter. I will just have to go to this
stupid office to get the appt. made in person. The problem is the doctor at
the ER knows of this dermotologist and said even after I finaly do get a appt.
the wait to get in will be a month or so.
Anyone with any thoughts or suggestions on what else I can try until she
does get in?
Anyone ever had these symptoms before? If so
any tips on helping making it more comfortable?