HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Psoriasis (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/psoriasis/)
-   -   Psoriasis (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/psoriasis/317028-psoriasis.html)

missdistress 08-20-2005 07:39 PM

Psoriasis

Anyone know something that I can do to help clear it up? It's on my scalp, so it's hard to get through all my hair. But its spread over the last few years and its starting to creep past my hairline and I have to get it in check. ANyone?

cjjjjp 08-22-2005 04:26 PM

Re: Psoriasis

May a Doctor appointment, they have great creams to put on to clear it up, there is no cure just can easily be treated

HELLASRULES 08-22-2005 05:44 PM

[QUOTE=missdistress]Anyone know something that I can do to help clear it up? It's on my scalp, so it's hard to get through all my hair. But its spread over the last few years and its starting to creep past my hairline and I have to get it in check. ANyone?[/QUOTE]
I don't know if this will help or not, but have heard that taking Omega-3 (fish Oil) can be beneficial to the skin. I've taken it for other things, but only for a short time, and I don't have skin problems other than acne. Others have used it with good results for excema, so maybe it would be beneficial for psoriasis, too. Not sure on that, and it isn't going to work overnight, but since it's supposed to have a lot of health benefits, it shouldn't affect you adversly in any way, and may even help.

SusanGene 08-23-2005 02:06 PM

There is a liquid from the bark of the NEEM tree you can buy in capsules.
They sell the caps plus you can use, at the same time, NEEM cream. I don't have a skin problem but I read about Neem on the internet.

greensky 08-23-2005 06:38 PM

I use a cream made of argan oil. It dosn't completely get rid of it, but it does keep it down.

ratboy83 08-26-2005 09:17 AM

EPO and fich oils have been shown to be effective to an extent. also, royal jelly has been shown to be beneficial. research more into the latter.

alex.

summerblue 08-26-2005 10:04 AM

Hi missdistress, :wave:
I have posted on the thread under, (Skin Problems). I had psoriasis from head to toe, and what worked for me was taking fish oil and soaking in a tub of dead sea salts every evening. You can get the fish oil and the dead sea salts at a health food store, I hope this helps.

HELLASRULES 08-26-2005 04:53 PM

Hi
Well I was just researching flaxseed oil, after my eye dr told me to try it for dry eye.
and under flaxseed oil it said 1 tbsp flaxseed oil in the a.m. and along with 1000 mg fish oil 3X a day for psoriasis. As a side note, I refrigerate my flaxseed oil and fish oil. Flaxseed oil should be refrigerated as it goes rancid fast. And it also said you'd have to take 14-1,000mg flaxseed oil capsules to get all the benefits of 1 tbsp of flaxseed oil. Guess I'm getting the oil tomorrow!

wannahelp 08-28-2005 06:18 AM

what kind of shampoo are you using? Nizoral, t-gel are a couple of good ones. Have you noticed any thick patches on your scalp? If so, you need to apply this shampoo and leave it on a few minutes, do it every day. You will suffer bald spots if you do not get these thick scales sloughed off. If you already have some thick patches, you will have a sore, tender, and maybe some bleeding on your scalp once you have sloughed off these scales. Make sure you condition each time, to prevent drying. There are also some prescription shampoos you can get from the dermotologist, but in my personal experience, the tar shampoos and Nizoral (my favorite) work just as good. This is a common problem with the elderly, and this is what I've done in the nursing homes on patients with this problem. Getting it under control is the hardest, but once you've gotten most of the thick scales removed, you have to keep up a regimen of doing this at least three times a week. Also, when there is no signs of tenderness on the scalp, I apply an astringent to help with the itching.

inzall 09-04-2005 10:17 PM

[QUOTE=greensky]I use a cream made of argan oil. It dosn't completely get rid of it, but it does keep it down.[/QUOTE]

i use elidale it work great

inzall 09-04-2005 10:18 PM

i use elidale its great

cjjjjp 10-02-2005 05:50 PM

anyone ever used kalwalla, a supplement?

biggummybear 10-27-2005 01:03 PM

Hi,
I like this product called: [B]Aqua Glycolic Shampoo & Body Cleanser[/B]. It's pretty gentle. But you have to order it online. Usually costs $9 for 8 oz.

Whatever you do don't try mayonaise or apple cider vinegar.

I have also heard about Zinc Soap Bars (are good for maintance to prevent flare-ups) and a brand called Carmol (they make a shampoo which is supposed to kill the yeast that causes the psoriasis flare-ups) to be good as well. I think you have to order these as well. I found a really good site that has all sorts of beauty products. But if you do a search you will probably find it. Sorry I could not post it.

Cascade.Raven 10-31-2005 01:20 PM

I've had excellent results with 1 tablespoon of fish oil with breakfast. My ND prescribed it. I don't remember the brand name but it comes in a green bottle. You can get it lemon flavored which tastes just fine. The psoriasis started healing within a few weeks of starting the oil and is now (six months later) just a patch of discolored skin. No more scales or raw sores. I also rubbed Emu oil into it every day which is, if nothing else, soothing. I was told it acted as an anti-inflammatory and was good for psoriasis. It helped soften the dead skin so itd come of easily and also helped cut down on that unpleasant feeling of something foreign being attached to your skin. Im sure it was taking the fish oil that really made a difference though.