HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Psoriasis (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/psoriasis/)
-   -   eczema vs. psoriasis (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/psoriasis/321404-eczema-vs-psoriasis.html)

goob123 09-03-2005 09:40 PM

eczema vs. psoriasis

hi there. so i was wondering how can you tell the difference between eczema and psoriasis... in high school a dermatologist told me i had eczema. i got it on my hands then eventually on my arms back and a few other places. i have some cream that makes it go away but it usually finds a place to come back to. recently ive been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis and my rheumatologist believes that i have psoriasis actually.

on my arm the rash was red and kind of bumpy (small bumps) and itchy. now i have a rash behind my ear which gets red and kind of flakey. i also have itchy toes which now are more scaley actually. is it possible i could have both eczema and psoriasis? thanks for the help! :bouncing:

South656 09-13-2005 10:52 AM

Re: eczema vs. psoriasis

[QUOTE=goob123]hi there. so i was wondering how can you tell the difference between eczema and psoriasis... in high school a dermatologist told me i had eczema. i got it on my hands then eventually on my arms back and a few other places. i have some cream that makes it go away but it usually finds a place to come back to. recently ive been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis and my rheumatologist believes that i have psoriasis actually.

on my arm the rash was red and kind of bumpy (small bumps) and itchy. now i have a rash behind my ear which gets red and kind of flakey. i also have itchy toes which now are more scaley actually. is it possible i could have both eczema and psoriasis? thanks for the help! :bouncing:[/QUOTE]

Hi Goob123- I have a friend that has eczema and they have patchy slightly red spots mainly in the folds of their hands and fingers. Their doc gave them "cetaphil" lotion to help along with another type of cream to soothe the itching.

I have been seeing a rheumatologist due to red inflammed areas in my ankle joints which is a symptom of psoriatic arthritis. But my rhemy believes I have what is known as rheumatoid arthritis. I have not yet been truely "diagnosed" yet but there are so many other factors that could lead to something else. So he wants to be sure. I have had scalp problems for about 9 or 10 years now. Sometimes it goes away and then sometimes it comes back. It itches a lot and sometimes I scratch it so much it tends to bleed. (Sorry for being so graphic) but I am trying to find out what it is that I have. I have been reading up about psoriasis recently and I am beginning to believe this is more like what I have then Rhematoid Arthritis. I think it is all linked up...the flaky scalp, the red patchey area around my elbow and the inflammed joints in my feet. My rheumatologist has me on sulfazalazine which can also be used to treat psoriasis arthritis aswell as many other arthritisis. Since the meds, I have not had any more inflammation and joint pain but the scalp issue is back. I am considering seeing a dermatologist about it.

But I think your case sounds more like psoriasis to me (red, scaley behind the ears, the rashy area on your arms....etc) those are all symptoms of psoriasis. Have you have any joint pain or swelling?? That would syptomize the arthritis part. Have you seen a dermatologist yet? Hope all is well and you are feeling better!

Sincerely,
South

goob123 09-18-2005 12:32 PM

Re: eczema vs. psoriasis

hi south! thanks for the reply. how is your diagnosis going? did your rheumy give you blood tests to rule out ra or anything else? my results came back normal except a slightly elevated inflammation rate. which would make sense.

psoriasis is definitely often found on the scalp which i actually think i may have had back in high school. but i use T gel shampoo which i think works really well if you are still having problems with that. with the joint inflammation and scalp issues it sounds like you may also have the same thing as i do. i have had a lot of back problems randomly (which no one could figure out what it was for a while) and then that led into other joint pain. i use elocon for the psoriasis (or whatever it may be) and it helps for a little while then just comes back. hope you're feeling well!!!