It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Psoriasis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2006, 01:55 PM   #1
(female)

ImTheLucky1 HB User
Psoriasis, severe dandruff

I'm not sure if I have psoriasis or severe dandruff but in the last 2 years I have gone from major itch to major flakes. I have a lot of lose skin, sores and (yuck) crusty spots.

My question is does anyone else have this problem and have you found that shorter hair or longer hair is better to "hide" what shampoos and meds don't take care of?

I'm wondering if with short hair there is less styling and therefore less disturbance.

Last edited by ImTheLucky1; 02-26-2006 at 01:56 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2006, 02:28 PM   #2
(female)

alfiegandon HB User
Re: Psoriasis, severe dandruff

I remember when I was younger it was really bad for me.. Mother bought me this Coal Tar stuff... But, Neutrogina T-Gel works pretty good. I find the less I wash my hair- or if I dont condition my scalp is a little worse..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2006, 05:30 PM   #3
(female)

ImTheLucky1 HB User

I've been using Dermarest Psoriasis shampoo. It helps with the itching and crusty spots but nothing completely stops the flaking. I've tried several other shampoos but nothing really works. That's what puts me under the impression it's actually psoriasis and not dandruff. In any case, I'm spending 10 extra minutes styling my hair b/c I have to pick through and get the visable flakes. Then I spray hair spray so it doesn't move much and totally spaz if any one tries to touch my hair. That's why I'm considering cutting it very short. But I was hoping someone else had tried this and could tell me if it's a good/bad idea.

Old 02-27-2006, 12:26 PM   #4
(female)

confused_girl5 HB User

I have bad dandruff if I don't wash my hair properly. What I've found helpful is running a brush through my hair whilst pouring clean water on it when I'm washing shampoo from my hair. I also make sure that I put my hair forward and brush it that way and rinse it there too. It helps me a lot!
Also make sure, if you do try this, to rinch the brush incase it gets shampoo in it. Hope this helps!
Oh, and if you have a few stray flakes on top of your head still when its dry, try brushing it thoroughly. It doesn't really help me, but my mum said it can sometimes. Just a suggestion!

confused_girl5 x

Last edited by confused_girl5; 02-27-2006 at 12:30 PM.

Old 02-27-2006, 01:32 PM   #5
(female)

dreamingdenali HB User

I'm 21, I've had severe scalp psoriasis since I was 13. It's bad right now because it's dry and extremely cold in Boston.

The T-Gel and tar shampoos never worked for me. I tried injections, topical treatments (basic and acidic), sun therapy, etc etc. A million different ways of washing, not washing, etc etc my hair. The only thing that has given me any comfort is Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree shampoo. Leave it on and just let it tingle at your scalp for awhile. I have very long hair and it's easy to hide as long as you don't pick at it, but psoriasis is horrible and very difficult to deal with. Waking up in the morning is the worst because you scratch at night and I always have chunks of skin in my bed. It's totally gross. I'm sorry for anyone who has it, and I wish they would figure out how to treat it.

Last edited by dreamingdenali; 02-27-2006 at 01:32 PM.

Old 02-28-2006, 06:41 AM   #6
(female)

ImTheLucky1 HB User

Brushing or touching my hair makes it worse. That's why I was thinking about getting a short cut. If I don't have to touch it as much it won't "stir" the dead skin. I woke this morning to a huge flake of skin in my hair. What's worse about it is all the hair that was still going through it- yuck.
resweden: Tea tree oil is great for alot of skin ailments. I don't know why I didn't think of using it! I LOVE the stuff. Works on everything from poison ivy to a cut. Thanks for the mention.

Closed Thread