It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Psoriasis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2006, 07:12 AM   #1
(female)

abbie1505 HB User
psoriasis on my scalp

does anyone else have this? mine is really bad. my dermatologist has pescribed cocois ointment, a steroid mousse and special shampoo and its only helping a little bit at the moment. it gets me down because people think i have dandruff! does anyone else suffer from it and what treatments are they using?

Old 03-08-2006, 03:20 AM   #2
(male)

Micousa HB User
Re: psoriasis on my scalp

Hey there I have psoriasis on my scalp too. if people think its dandruff let them think it because they probably dontknow what psoriasis is.

Any ways I went to the dermatologist and he gave me some oil. I think it is called Derma-Smoothe. You put it on at night with a shower cap. and wash it out with shampoo in the morning. it works pretty good its just that you have to have a consistent use.
I use it one night (with a showercap)
I use it as a hair styling oil the next (I do not wash it out)
The day after that i wait till night and put some more on with a shower cap.

I hope you find something that works. If you read the other post you may find something helpful. GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by Micousa; 03-08-2006 at 03:37 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2006, 11:56 PM   #3
(male)

MyPlague HB User

Take vitamin e and fish oil.

This did nearly a complete 180 with my scalp health. Mine was inflammed, and I had bleeing/red bumps all over my forehead.

Some of those bumps are still there, but very very faint. No bleeding, no itching and a very smoothe feeling forehead.

Old 03-09-2006, 09:38 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

lins6108 HB User

My sister had it EXTREMELY bad on her scalp.....she got on a perscription called Humira. It is an injection every 2 weeks. ITs pretty new and pricy if you don't have insurance. She has had 2 injections so its been about 4 weeks and it is completly gone. They say to take before and after photos because it will complety go away and insurance companies will not insure unless they see proof that you have or had it. She has had no side affects but everyone is different...

Old 03-22-2006, 10:51 AM   #5
(male)

zigwyth HB User
Question Re: psoriasis on my scalp

Iv'e been on Fish oil and Vit e for 2 months. Haven't seen much improvement, although I know these are good to take for other ailments. How much do you take? I tried a prescription called clobetasol(spelling?). Only helps with the itching.Apple cider vinegar has been suggested. This stuff is driving me crazy!! Anybody else out there with success for treatment of Scalp psoriasis???

Old 03-22-2006, 11:16 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

How long have you been using the mousse? I have horrible scalp psoriasis as well. My dermatologist perscribed Olux I believe it's called. She also perscribed the shampoo and another ointment. The shampoo didn't do anything for me at all, and it made my hair feel like straw and it was impossible to comb through after using it. I didn't think that Olux was working at first...it probably took a good two weeks, but then I noticed a huge improvement. The thing is keeping up with it. I will go for days in a row and not use it because I don't feel like messing with it and it will come back with a vengence. But I have found if you use it consistently it seems to help tremendously. That of course is just my experience with it. I also like the mousse because it doesn't constrict you to only using it on certain areas of the body like the ointment does. You can use the mousse anywhere, whereas the ointment...yeah putting that on your scalp is a great time and afterwards, you feel like a grease monkey! I'll tell you though, before I had the mousse I was desperate enough to try anything! The only thing that bothers me about this is that it's a life long thing...it will never truly go away....Ugh. Good luck, I hope you find something that works for you....believe me, I know how irritating it can be.

Last edited by Delia79; 03-22-2006 at 11:18 AM.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:27 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

My ex-husband had psoriasis and he used T-Gel Shampoo by Nutragena
It worked for him.

Old 03-22-2006, 08:32 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

bunny9987 HB User

i have had it most of my life. Some precrips and shampoos worth for a while, but then it always comes back. Vitamins seem to help a little, but sometimes it flares pretty bad with the bleeding too. On top of that, i have ecezema, and acne. my acne is under control, but to keep it under control, i have to take high dosages of A, E, C , Zinc, and the oils. Western-Doctors say i am crazy, am i??

Old 03-25-2006, 10:52 AM   #9
(female)

Bikebabe HB User

Hi,

I have had psoriasis on my scalp since I was 7 - I am now 29. What works for me every time is Diprosone scalp application. It is brilliant! use it for about 3 days and you should find that it completely clears up. It is a liquid that kind of evaporates after a few minutes of putting it on but it doesnt particularly make your hair greasy which is a bonus. The only thing is is that it is a steroid but you will find that you will only need to use it when the scalp psoriasis comes back (which inevitably it does) but it keeps it at bay. I wouldnt be without it.

I hope this helps
xx

Old 03-25-2006, 11:00 AM   #10
(female)

tawnyjade HB User

I also get it bad! I alternate a tar shampoo, selsun blue, and tea tree oil shampoo monthly. When it gets real bad, i have a prescription for Betamethasone Valerate lotion. That works really well, but it is spposedly strong stuff, so use sparingly.
Let us know what works for you!

Old 03-25-2006, 11:06 AM   #11
(female)

tawnyjade HB User

Oh, yeah...I put them on the irritated areas and leave them on for 10 minutes before I shower and lather. The doc says I can use any conditioner I like, but I find that it gets left on the scalp, and the shampoo doesn't work as well.
Also, The doc says to use tar and only tar will help. I believe he's wrong, as i seem to get more reief from the tea tree shampoo and the selsun blue.

Old 03-26-2006, 09:17 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Steroids thin the skin, so they should be used sparingly.

I have battled this for fifty years. I switch out my shampoo weekly. I use MG217, which has to be ordered through a pharmacy but is not a prescription. In the state of CA, it has been deemed to cause cancer. (That part never made sense to me.) It is tar based. I also use Head & Shoulders for dry scalp. When it is really bad around the hair line and travels to my eyebrows, I use a MG217 ointment that stinks to high heaven.

I also use T-Sal, Tea Tree, and many others that are out on the market. I find that I have to keep switching out.

The most important thing that I found out is that it is not always psoriasis. You can get a yeast infection on your scalp that resembles psoriasis. For that, you need to see the doctor for a prescription for Nizoral that is stronger than what you can buy over the counter.

My main problem is that I will get it all cleared up but my glasses sit over my ears, causing irratation. If I were my contacts only, it goes away after a week. I am considering Lazik just so this problem will go away.

I think that that key is to switch out treatments as your budget allows.

Old 03-29-2006, 03:00 AM   #13
(female)

Maya1984 HB User

I cant believe I have found other people out there with this, in Australia barely anyone has heard of it! When I was born to age 15 my psoriasis was so bad I could barely go in public, because I too felt like everyone thought I had nits or dandruff. I used a product calle poly-tar, for my hair and some cortisone for my skin. I stayed out of sunlight(as you know when you sweat it irritates it), and also as hard as it is to resist, to stop scratching. Now I am 21 and I am completely cured, I have not had it in my hair for about 6 years and my skin for about 5yrs. I went to hundreds of dermatologists, and not being well known, they all tried to give me many medications including anti histamines, food allergy medicines and tonnes of creams. Towards my latter part with it, once a week went swimming in the ocean, the salt has a very calming affect on the skin and hair. Dont wash your hair after the swimming, the salt helps dry it out! I hope some of my remdeies help everyone, and dont let the scratching drive you crazy: ) )

Old 04-14-2006, 05:38 AM   #14
(male)

zigwyth HB User

I,m curious if you can buy Sea Salt and wash your hair with it if you don't live near the ocean. I have heard other people that have swam in the ocean and it helped their psoriasis. Anyway if anyone else has any suggestions please keep posting. I am currently trying Vit e and fish oil and different shampoos with little success so far.Thanks

Old 05-04-2006, 04:44 PM   #15
(female)

Texanne HB User

I've been on Fish oil and Vitamin E for years, just because I think they are valuable for other reasons. They don't seem to have any effect on my psoriasis that I can tell. I was diagnosed with psoriasis in 1999 and the only thing that has helped my scalp has been the Clobetasol liquid and extra strenth Denorex with 3% salicylic acid. In the winter and spring it is much worse and I keep my hair tinted a light blonde to minimize the appearance of flakes during flare ups. (I have to avoid wearing black during flare-ups too). Yes, people start trying to tell me their home remedies for dandruff at the beauty shop. I agree that it is embarrassing. The Denorex shampoo is dulling to my color but it does give me some relief. An older lady (mid-seventies) I know swears by the tanning bed, she has gone for years and says nothing works like the extra strength Denorex and UV. She has skin like shoe leather though. My dad had UV treatments for years back in the '60's and '70's and now he is having many precancerous lesions removed from his face, ears and head. It is kind of a catch-22. I have it under my thumb nails and nothing has ever, ever, helped there. I've used the clobetasol, red vinegar, fungal liquid, etc... nothing helps. Good luck!

Closed Thread