It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Psoriasis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2006, 09:59 AM   #1
(female)

bloodyhell HB User
Psoriasis caused by Beta Blocker

I took a beta blocker many years ago to treat HBP. I have been battling plaque psoriasis (an immune response skin disorder) ever since. No one warned me of this possibility when I was given the drug. No one admitted that this strange new "rash" was caused by the drug. Now, it's a known fact that beta blockers can cause psoriasis in some people. I wish that I had tried other safer methods to lower my BP instead of just swallowing a pill.
Be very aware of the possible effects of all drugs. Ask lots of questions, do your own thorough research, and don't let anyone tell you how you feel. Trust your instincts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2006, 05:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Psoriasis caused by Beta Blocker

What you say is true, beta blockers can exacerbate or even cause psoriasis.

Alas, almost every drug has rare side effects...but the side effect isn't rare if you are the one who gets it.

It is possible that you had the defective immune system and the beta blocker merely pushed you over the edge, instead of the next irritant to come along but you;ll never know for sure.

I hope it gets better for you, psoriasis can be a nightmare to live with.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2007, 09:34 PM   #3
(male)

DW123 HB User

I was on a beta blocker for years. I developed a persistant rash on my chest and back of my neck, after reading in a British journal that there was a correalation between beta blocker and early onset of diabetes I decided that it was time for me to ween off this medicine. Since discontinuing the beta blocker my skin rash has disappeared.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

There's a logical connection between beta-blockers and any allergic type rash. Basically beta-blockers prevent the effects of many adrenal hormones...some of these hormones routinely suppress inflammation anywhere in the body.
Hence blocking the effects of adrenal hormones can lead to an increase of inflammatory and allergic processes.

Even people allergic to a bee sting for example might be in more danger with beta blockade because when given the antidote...a shot of epinephrine (adrenaline)... the drug is partially blocked by the BB.

Closed Thread