It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Psoriasis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2006, 12:09 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

boicrazy3188 HB User
psoriasis treatments that work for you

I've had psoriasis for 6 years now, and i'm only 18. When it first started, it was my scalp. I thought maybe it was just dandruff, since thats what my father has, so I used head n shoulders. Well, It just got worse. By 16 it was on my scalp, skin and eyebrows. I go to a derma and each time get something new. I am at the point where I can control it around my hairline and eyebrows, but not my skin or scalp. I have used several creams, steroids, shampoo with tar, sal. acid, cobetasol, etc and just recently over the summer had light treatments. Well the past few weeks I have broken up horribly all over my skin. Its not as bad as you think, but I'm having huge issues with it and my body image. I'm going to the derm on the 28th and i'm thinking of asking him about the pills that supress your immune system. I know its like a last resort, but I have tried everything, and I can't handle this anymore. I am too young to shut people out, but I have to because I don't look "normal".

I need to know what everyone else uses and how bad you have it.
Thanks

Old 11-21-2006, 02:27 PM   #2
(female)

Granny Fran HB User
Re: psoriasis treatments that work for you

I'm so sorry to hear you have this dreadful disease. I've had it for 35 years now, so I certainly can sympathize with how you're feeling with it. I also have a brother who has been battling it for many years now. It used to be such a huge embarrassment to go out with my legs or arms uncovered - that's where I almost always got it - all over the legs, and light on the arms.

Did you have the the psoralen UV treatments? A 6 week round of those would work for me for about a year or so afterwards (plus I got a beautiful tan to go with it). The psoralen makes your skin more sensitive to the UV and is better than just sunning or UV alone.

I've gone through breakouts that last years -a few times where it covered a good portion of my body. 2 of those times I was given methotrexate for about 3 months with close blood monitoring. The psoriasis went away completely for over a year. I found out later it was a chemo drug, and met a women who got leukemia from taking it. So I guess I would say use caution - you don't know what some of these meds might cause a few years down the road. There's also Remicade now, but they usually won't prescribe either of these drugs unless it's extremely severe or disabling.

I usually use dovonex along with a cortisone cream now. These drugs tend to work okay for a while, then you have to switch to something else. I never cared for the tar preps. Also, I try to keep up with it and do a light treatment or sun tanning as soon as a bad breakout starts as it seems to work quicker if you do it sooner.

The funny thing is I had a complete thyroidectomy 3 years ago, and it completely went away - not a spot until about 3 months ago. I started taking a beta blocker about 5 months ago, and I suspect that's what triggered it again. But it did make me wonder if the thyroid plays some kind of part in psoriasis.

I've read that a combination of 2 drugs - like tar treatment and a topical steriod or like the dovonex/topical steroid I use tend to do a better job of keeping it under control.

I wish you luck in getting this under control. It can be so miserable sometimes, but always remember that no matter what your skin looks like, you'e still the same old you inside it. Keep that part shining through and you'll find that for the most part people simply won't notice the skin condition much.

~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread