It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Psoriasis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2007, 04:15 PM   #1
(female)

teachingpenguin HB User
Re: psoriosis

Hey all!

I'm new to the board and have been suffering from psoriasis since 2004. It originally reared its ugly head in response to stress on my left elbow and left knee. Well, apparently my body likes things symmetrical because my right elbow and right knee followed suit. Then I developed a small patch on my right foot, followed shortly by a small patch on my left foot. Then the right hand, left hand, right side of my right calf, and now right side of my left calf. It's frustrating. I have been trying all of the creams that my dermatologist recommends and then some. Currently, I am supposed to be using Triamcinolone Acetonide 4 time a day. The problem I have with the creams, aside from the fact that I have yet to find one that works and one actually caused my skin to burn when out in the sun, is that they are time consuming. I teach elementary school and can't take time out of my day to apply the cream and wait for it to somewhat dry so it won't stick to my clothes. I was reading these posts and noticed that Milk Thistle was mentioned. What is this and where can I get it? It definitely can't hurt.

Also, any other remedies you have found helpful will be greatly appreciated. I am counting the days until summer because, like many of you, my symptoms ease in the summer, but they never clear up. I know that psoriasis nevers "goes away", but I would love for mine to go into a remission.

Thanks so much to all!

SB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Alagaesia HB User
Re: Any remedies to help Psoriasis?

Yes milk thistle is a good thing to try. You can find it pretty much in any health store. Just make sure you get one that says 80% silymarin somewhere on the bottle. You can also try aloe vera gel. Just rub it on about 3 times a day. There's also calendula or comfrey cream. You can actually use both if you wanted. Do not use comfrey if your skin is cracked, open, or raw. These too are found at health stores.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:26 PM   #3
(female)

nailchick2000 HB User

Actually (mirror image) spots occuring on both sides is a sign of psoriasis, so that's not unusual. I had psoriasis for it seems like forever, but I have been clear for about 6 years now. I had it for almost 18 years strait. Burdock root is supposed to help as well as some other herbals. I used to wash the areas with sylic acid soap, to thin the skin, then use burdock root extract on the spots... it did help some. If you clear up in the summer, why don't you try tanning indoors? I truly believe that tanning has saved me from having it return.

In my personal opinion, some dermatologists really don't want to cure you.. they want you to keep coming back. I say this because I went to at least 5 dermatologists with no results.. just "gentle creams" Then I decided to give one more doc a try, he had me cleared up within a couple of months. He gave me shots every 2 weeks under my leisons. I don't know what was in the shots, but my doctor's name is Scott Karlene, in Flint, Michigan. Maybe you can look him up and find out what he uses. He also rx'd Dovonex cream.

But I really feel for you. All through my 20's and part of my 30's I could never wear shorts or dresses.. and my legs are my best feature!

Old 04-16-2007, 09:30 PM   #4
(female)

nailchick2000 HB User

Actually (mirror image) spots occuring on both sides is a sign of psoriasis, so that's not unusual. I had psoriasis for it seems like forever, but I have been clear for about 6 years now. I had it for almost 18 years strait. Burdock root is supposed to help as well as some other herbals. I used to wash the areas with salicylic acid soap, to thin the skin, then use burdock root extract on the spots... it did help some. If you clear up in the summer, why don't you try tanning indoors? I truly believe that tanning has saved me from having it return.

In my personal opinion, some dermatologists really don't want to cure you.. they want you to keep coming back. I say this because I went to at least 5 dermatologists with no results.. just "gentle creams" Then I decided to give one more doc a try, he had me cleared up within a couple of months. He gave me shots every 2 weeks under my leisons. I don't know what was in the shots, but my doctor's name is Scott Karlene, in Flint, Michigan. Maybe you can look him up and find out what he uses. He also rx'd Dovonex cream.

But I really feel for you. All through my 20's and part of my 30's I could never wear shorts or dresses.. and my legs are my best feature!

Old 04-17-2007, 02:08 PM   #5
(female)

teachingpenguin HB User

Thank you both so much for the suggestions and words of encouragement. I am gearing up to go to the health food store right now and try out these remedies! Thank you, thank you, thank you

Old 04-17-2007, 09:35 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Alagaesia HB User

I forgot to mention a couple of things. Milk thistle isn't taken long term. You take it for like 3 to 4 weeks then you stop for a few months. The second thing I forgot to mention was probiotics may help as well. That is something that can be taken long term. Two good brands are Dr. Ohhira's essentil probiotics and Garden of Life HSO primal defense probiotic. The Garden of life brand is much easier to find.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:18 AM   #7
(female)

bee07 HB User

Teachingpenguin, I have had plaque psoriasis since I was 9 years old and my teen years were a nightmare, so I understand your frustration. I am now in my 40's and the lesions on my body are very few, but my scalp psoriasis is almost constant, covering about half of my scalp. The medication that has worked best for me is Dovonex ointment. If you get it on your scalp, the best thing to do is just to keep trying different shampoos until you find one that works for you. I have good results with anything with Tea Tree Oil in it and it's good to leave it on your scalp for at least 3 - 5 minutes before rinsing. You can also get a liquid solution Dovonex for your scalp, which is also very helpful. I also take Milk Thistle and I've heard many times that Fish Oil supplements are really beneficial.

Last edited by bee07; 07-12-2007 at 07:20 AM. Reason: correct grammar

Old 07-12-2007, 07:05 PM   #8
(female)

horseygirl14 HB User

try skin zinc - my husband and a co-worker use it for their eczema but it's made for psoriasis. You can get it by phone order and now (in canada anyways) in the drug stores.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:41 PM   #9
(female)

cassi22 HB User

What does Psoriasis look like? I have big red sploches on my legs...and some smaller ones. Started on one leg only and now is on both. Some of the sploches have little bumps in them. Could this be Psoriasis?

Closed Thread