It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Psoriasis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2007, 09:29 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Psoriasis

Hi. My grandma had it. Her son has it. And now I think I've got it. I have two small spots that are red (one is beginning to flake). Neither hurt, burn or itch. I think psoriasis is an autoimmune disorder, isn't it? I have another autoimmune disorder as well.

I have a couple of questions. How does a doctor test to see if what I have is psoriasis? What kind of treatments are available? I know there are creams and ointments out there that claim to help with psoriasis but I know that my uncle hasn't found anything that helps him much for any length of time.

Is there any medicine out there that will help lessen the amount of outbreaks?

Thanks.

Barb

Old 10-22-2007, 09:40 AM   #2
(female)

Dee2000 HB User
Re: Psoriasis

Hi Barb,

Yes, a dermatologist will do a skin test - and truly diagnose you with psoriasis. Likely since you have a family history. There is no cure - but creams and light therapies will lessen the effects. Stress and weather changes can aggrevate it!

TIP: My grandmother (she's 86) loves the Udder Balm (kind they use on cows for weather extremes (I know - I was shocked too). I have not seen her 2 spots (elbow and hands) in about 15 years so maybe she's onto something. She recommeds the balm for EVERYTHING now...funny.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2007, 06:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

LOL!!! My dad always kept a jar of udder balm in the medicine chest. He too thought it was a cure all. In fact, I think I have a jar here. I'm going to try it. It can't hurt. Thanks!!!!

Thinking back as children, my mom put udder balm on every little scrape and cut we had. It's an antiseptic so I guess mom thought why not?

You know, I think some of these old time remedies really do work. The only problem with many of them is that the pharmaceutical companies wouldn't see profits with them.

Years ago, my grandma would sit outside on her side porch to get some morning sun. I asked her once why she sat with her arms uncovered when she had bad outbreaks. She said the sun helped ease the outbreaks. This was way before anyone ever concidered some sunshine to be good for psoriasis.

Thanks again Dee!

Barb

Old 10-23-2007, 08:18 AM   #4
(female)

Dee2000 HB User

Hey Barb,

I hope the balm works for you!!! Yes, the sun is proven to help - the plastic surgeons and derms are now offering the light therapy in office which is thought to help....Guess we should start listening to our grandmas!

Hopefully, one day there will be a cure!!

I know she put that balm on about 3 times a day for several weeks and then it just disappeared. Sadly, she had spent thousands prior on rx creams, injections and such that never helped. She still tells everyone that story.

Good luck and I know the ointment (it's actually in a big tub/container) made by Eucerin called Aquafore is very good for moisturizing extremely dry skin. The plastic surgeons recommend this after some laser treatments. The Aquafore is in an ointment form but Eucerin also makes a lotion with the same ingredients minus the petroleum - if the ointment is too greasy (should be right next to Aquafore in the same type of container.

Last edited by Dee2000; 10-23-2007 at 08:24 AM.

Closed Thread