It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Psoriasis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2007, 10:04 PM   #1
(female)

gailci HB User
psoriasis on the scalp

Can any one tell me what is a good shampoo & conditioner for psoriasis on my scalp? Would olive oil be helpful? I believe it is caused by nerves?
THank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2007, 06:24 AM   #2
(female)

alice52 HB User
Re: psoriasis on the scalp

any of the dandruff shampoos are good if you color your hair but the best
I've found (that I use) is T-Sal. But if you color your hair it will also take
the color out. You can find it in the grocery store next to the shampoos
and dandruff stuff.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2008, 07:18 AM   #3
(female)

motown HB User

I have found that shampoo with tea tree as an ingredient works best, smells great and will not take the color out of your chair. I always keep some on hand for those breakouts.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:18 AM   #4
(female)

gmtric HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailci View Post
Can any one tell me what is a good shampoo & conditioner for psoriasis on my scalp? Would olive oil be helpful? I believe it is caused by nerves?
THank you
I massage olive oil with a drop or 2 of mint essential oil into my scalp about 1/2 hour before I shampoo. I do this about twice a month and it has really helped. I was at the point where I was losing hair by the hand-full and the itching was driving me crazy. But now all that has stopped and the flaking has all but stopped. I alternate between head & shoulders and an herbal shampoo with tea tree oil. I also try not to blow dry my hair, but rather let it dry naturally...the heat of blow drying seems to make it worse.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:20 PM   #5
(male)

Bitter Stranger HB User

A few recent studies have found that topical olive oil and green tea may help with psoriasis. The studies didn't specifically focus on scalp psoriasis but logic would dictate that if it helps with the skin ... it will likely help with the scalp.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
(female)

pru82 HB User

Hi there, I've also had scalp psoriasis for ages and have also experienced hairloss the last 6 months (stopping birth control, iron deficiency).. the shedding is slooowly decreasing.. but I'm also worried that the patches of psoriasis on the scalp might be preventing regrowth (esp. in the part, where I need it!)..
I've been using emu oil for a month or so, ingesting a teapoon daily and mixing a little bit in with my shampoo, and I have noticed that the psoriasis has become a little softer and paler- not so 'hard packed'. I believe it takes about 3 months to see any real difference.. so time will tell. Just thought I'd mention!..

Old 05-14-2008, 12:08 PM   #7
(female)

isaddesign HB User

my FIL has it on his scalp & i got him a natural ointment from the health food store & he loves it!!!

Old 05-15-2008, 10:26 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

Gailci..............You might want to do a search on Healthboards or Yahoo on Psoriasis and Hashimoto Thyroidism. Hashimoto is an autoimmune disease and if I am not mistaken so is Psoriasis. I know I had what I thought was Psoriasis on my scalp and in one of my ears. I fought it for yrs. Then I found out my thyroid was low and I had Hashimoto Thyroidism and when I got my meds up (still not optimal) it goes away.

I did a search on Healthboard and found that others who corrected their thyroid condition got relief. Many doctors are not "up" on this. The important test to run are:
TSH
Free T3
Free T4
TPO antibodies
TG antibodies.............................a nd your free T's should be a least midrange or in the upper 1/3 of range to be optimal.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:13 AM   #9
(female)

socialhermit HB User
Thumbs up Re: psoriasis on the scalp

Hi, my son has psoriasis on his scalp also. I tried sooo many different ideas to treat it and finally found a shampoo called Dermarest!!! You can find it at Wal-Mart for 5 bucks a bottle. It cleared his psoriasis right away. The skin was pink and next day, gone. But you have to keep using it about 2-3 times a week. That's it for my son, may be different for you. His hair is soft and it doesnt seem to damage his hair. But this stuff is great. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Closed Thread