It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Psoriasis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2008, 04:00 PM   #1
(female)

sdjansen HB User
Can a wheat allergy cause psoriasis?

I was diagnosed with celiac cisease 5 years ago and stayed on a strict gluten free diet for 3 years until i got pregnant with my first child. I was then downgraded to a wheat intolerance. I started eating wheat products again with no noticeable side effects except now I have developed scalp psoriasis, could they be related?

Old 01-15-2008, 02:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: Can a wheat allergy cause psoriasis?

sdjansen,

It is not uncommon for people with gluten intolerance to have dermatitis. Going back to a gluten-free diet can often help clear up the skin problems.

After being on a gluten-free diet for a long period, sometimes people who are gluten sensitive (but not having full-blown celiac) can introduce gluten back into their diets without immediately having any of the reactions that they remember from their former wheaty diet. However, the body is still having to fight with a substance that it is having difficulty handling. When you have an additional stress in your life (a major emotional event, an illness or injury, on-going stress, etc), your body may find that it has too much to handle, and you start reacting visibly to gluten again.

My suggestion is to greatly minimize wheat in your diet on a daily basis, and have just a little bit once in a while on special occasions (one piece of cake at a birthday party but no other wheat on that day or for the rest of the month). This way you are not overloading your body with more stress than it can handle.

Keep in mind that if you have gluten intolerance, chances are great that your child does too. Minimizing the gluten in your child's daily diet will help keep the child's body from over-reacting, and the chances are that the child will be able to handle one small piece of cake or whatever on special occasions.

Good luck in solving your psoriasis problem. If going back to a gluten-free diet doesn't help inside of a month, then perhaps other posters have other suggestions.

--Rheanna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2008, 07:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

I had psoriasis and food and skin allergies (chemical allergies). I have been getting treatment for my allergies from my alternative doc. My skin allergies are gone and so is my psoriasis. Psoriasis is an autoimmune disease. Allergies are an overactive immune system responding to things that it shouldn't and this immune system dysfunction can progress to the body attacking itself (autoimmune). So yes, I feel that food allergies and psoriasis are related.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
(male)

sm53 HB User

Wheat gluten has been implicated in psoriasis. A search on the web should help find some sources. There is clear evidence that in some people gluten causes inflammation and psoriasis is an inflammatory disease of the skin.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
(male)

arihalli HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sannah View Post
I had psoriasis and food and skin allergies (chemical allergies). I have been getting treatment for my allergies from my alternative doc. My skin allergies are gone and so is my psoriasis. Psoriasis is an autoimmune disease. Allergies are an overactive immune system responding to things that it shouldn't and this immune system dysfunction can progress to the body attacking itself (autoimmune). So yes, I feel that food allergies and psoriasis are related.

Sannah.....i suffer from allergies and psoriasis too.....i am curious - when you refer to the alternative doc - what kind of doctor?...naturopath?......tx so much.....bernie

Old 05-02-2008, 06:19 AM   #6
(female)

chic61 HB User

I'm surprised no one talks about all the wheat found in hair and skin products. I had taken out wheat, barley and rye from my diet as I had suddenly developed a violent allergy to it and with that came psoriasis, but no one told me to watch the topical forms. My scalp was covered in oozing patches of psoriasis and my hair was coming out in handfuls. Everything the doctor gave me to use I figured out later had wheat germ or other forms of wheat. Watch your hair spray, shampoos, really all hair products, lotions and creams as well as makeups, especially eye products as it gets into your system real fast that way. I had major problems with my eyes and psoriasis and it was my eye cream recommended to help my condition that had wheat in it. It was very costly as well. Read all the labels and you will see what I mean. More have wheat than not.
Another thing no one talks about and I figured out on my own and my allergist knew but didn't mention, is liquid Zrytec works real fast and help lessen the reaction considerably. I never leave home with out it.
My psoriasis went away when I stopped using all products with wheat and it was a severe case.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:56 PM   #7
(female)

misswallo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chic61 View Post
I'm surprised no one talks about all the wheat found in hair and skin products. I had taken out wheat, barley and rye from my diet as I had suddenly developed a violent allergy to it and with that came psoriasis, but no one told me to watch the topical forms. My scalp was covered in oozing patches of psoriasis and my hair was coming out in handfuls. Everything the doctor gave me to use I figured out later had wheat germ or other forms of wheat. Watch your hair spray, shampoos, really all hair products, lotions and creams as well as makeups, especially eye products as it gets into your system real fast that way. I had major problems with my eyes and psoriasis and it was my eye cream recommended to help my condition that had wheat in it. It was very costly as well. Read all the labels and you will see what I mean. More have wheat than not.
Another thing no one talks about and I figured out on my own and my allergist knew but didn't mention, is liquid Zrytec works real fast and help lessen the reaction considerably. I never leave home with out it.
My psoriasis went away when I stopped using all products with wheat and it was a severe case.
What hair care products do you use or suggest?? That is very interesting. I just completed a food allergy test today...I'll find out in 2 weeks...I have nail psoriasis.

Closed Thread