It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Psoriasis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2008, 05:34 PM   #1
(female)

wmjsease HB User
7 year old daughter diagnosed with Psoriasis

My seven year old daughter was diagnoses with psoriasis today. I knew she had the scalp kind. She's had it for a few years. She had a lesion so to speak on the back of her leg that's been there for several months, and no matter what she's tried, it won't go away. I've been thinking it's psoriasis (my dad has it really bad, and the lesion looks like his), but finally the doctor agreed and said it is psoriasis. She's being sent to a dermatologist about it. I want to cry, because I know the trouble my dad has with his and how bad his hurts and itches. I've been doing some research and am going to putting her on cod liver oil. Also, found that sunlight or uv rays are good for it to. I'm going to discuss a uv treatment with the dermatologist. Also, tar treatments are good. Any more suggestions? I'm open to any. I really worry about her being so young, but I know there are a lot worse out there that she could have, so I'm trying not to stress much. thanks for any input.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

CaringMom HB User
Re: 7 year old daughter diagnosed with Psoriasis

Just wanted to say that my husband and my father both suffer from psoriasis. My father mainly a few spots on his legs but they are getting better.
My husband has problems with his scalp. Yes, tar shampoo helps, the darker the better, but doesn't get rid of the problem. Just makes it a little less.
I was also told grapeseed oil. I have problems with eczema during the winter and it seems the lotion with grapeseed did help somewhat. Most drug stores have it. And UV light, talk with your doctor. I used to manage a tanning salon and a few people who suffered from psoriasis thought it helped them though there are no medical claims to that. That was their personal opinion on it.
Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2008, 07:49 AM   #3
(female)

wmjsease HB User

thanks so much! Our pediatrician actually said that tanning beds do seem to help people with it some. We are going to talk to the derm about uv therapy, and also a tar solution that can be put directly on the spots. It itches her so badly, and her leg looks terrible. I feel bad for her.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
(male)

nosix HB User

Hello,

I have had psoriasis for going on 14 years now and I can confirm that "controlled" amounts of narrow band UVB treatment does help in alot of cases as does UVA but it is more dangerous then UVB so I would start out with just the UVB treatment and see how that works before going over to the more intensive UVA treatment. I had this treatment just a couple of years ago when I was in the UK and it took around 30 sessions for most of the spots to go away and I had about 60% body coverage at the time. 30 sessions is all anyone should ever have at any one time and you can only do this so many times in your life (I think it's 18 times but don't quote me on this) ..

The problem with your standard tanning beds is they are not in controlled amounts and contain both UVB and UVA bulbs and I would not recommend them for children for the reason mentioned above so you might be better off taking them to a dermatologist and having the treatments done under a controlled environment.

As for the tar is concerned all it really does is flatten the plaques on the skin and make you smell really bad but in my case it did help alot with the the itching so if that is a problem for your child then I would suggest something called MG27 which is a very thick and smelly petroleum jelly mixed with coal tar which is waterproof and tends to stay on the skin during heavy activity (which is good for kids since they tend to have an endless supply of energy) anyway your dermotologist should be able to assist you further but hope this have given you some food for thought and good luck.

Mike.

Closed Thread