It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Psoriasis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

tiredpoet HB User
Psoriasis

What works to help clear up psoriasis?

Old 06-21-2008, 06:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User
Re: Psoriasis

My sister in laws mom had psoriasis and eczema for years, you know what they finally figured out was the cause? Her thyroid was all screwed up. Isn't that weird! It totally cleared up and has had a problem since she was treated for her thyroid issues. I hope you find something for your troubles. Diana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2008, 10:27 AM   #3
(female)

ladydi13 HB User

My cousin just tried a lotion called Renew that has down wonders on his psoriasis on his lower legs due to diabetes.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

Listen to Drs. What she said is so true. I had psoriasis, in my ears of all places, and on the back of my head for years and never connected it to my thyroid. I went to about 10 different drs. and tried everything and never got any relief. It would keep me awake at night because it itched so bad. Now that my thyroid is being treated it has gone away.

Nothing worked for me except the Armour which contain both thyroid hormone, T3 and T4.

Last edited by SHMILY; 06-27-2008 at 02:20 PM.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

It might be a good idea to at least get some of what SHMILY is talking about,

I'm NOT positive but Armour may be something more natural than regular thyroid Medication. If you could at least get something that makes your thyroid function better (like in a health food store, you can ask the clerk if they have any) it might improve your condition. It's always best to make sure it works at optimal levels, more and more people are having thyroid problems due to our environment we live in these days.

They have a place on here for symptoms of problems in that area, if you want to take the time to check that out. Good luck, Diana

Last edited by drs; 06-27-2008 at 03:36 PM.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

If you think you could have a thyroid problem here are the test that are important to request. Many drs. won't do anything but a TSH and possible T4.

You need:
TSH
Free T4............NOT just T4
Free T3............Not just T3
Tgab and TPO [these are the 2 antibodies tests] they tell you if you have thyroid antibodies which would tell you if you have an autoimmune thyroid disease called Hashimoto's which is a very common cause of hypothyroidism.

If I am not mistaken psorosis is also auto immune. If you have one autoimmune disease, you are more likely to have others.

If you are hypothyroid you would need a prescription for thyroid hormone. In most cases what you get from the health food store is not enough to correct a real thyroid problem. Also, if you do get the tests done post your results along with your lab ranges on the "thyroid disorder" board and you will get some help. Many doctors will call your results normal when they are not.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:08 AM   #7
(female)

Texanne HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredpoet View Post
What works to help clear up psoriasis?
I have psoriasis, and so does my dad. We use several topical (cortisone-type) prescriptions when the going gets rough (especially during the winter) but a couple of natural remedies that have clinical evidence:

UV Treatment: Still the gold standard of treatment for psoriasis. If you can sit outside where the sun can shine on the worst part, it will help. I have it mostly on my scalp and I started using a visor instead of a hat when I am outside walking or working in the yard. I just flip the part in my hair when I think about it.

Tumeric: I started taking tumeric capsules for other reasons, but ran out. I couldn't understand why my scalp was worsening although winter was on its way out. While reading up on Tumeric, I found that some countries are using Tumeric in the treatment of psoriasis. It's good for many things, being an anti-inflammatory, and it's pretty cheap. I got mine at Walmart.

You can find more information on the Skin Problems board, if you search under "Psoriasis".

Old 07-26-2008, 08:50 AM   #8
(female)

happyfoot17 HB User

I suddenly developed Psoriasis, it got to 90% coverage of my legs and was heading that way fast with the rest of my body, I saw western doctors, it was very depressing, nothing worked my P got worse and worse, tried more things...same result. Then I went to a chinese medicine doctor (P was starting to appear on my face (only place I didn't have P). and with a treatment of herbs and accupuncture from the registered chinese medicine doctor I was clear in 2 months... I don't know anyone else with P, but I know about 5 othre people with excma who had similar results with CMD's and who go back for maintenance one month a year and haven't had it again ever. (One of my friends had excma since she was 3 until 26 (went to CMD) and with the maintenance is still clear. It is pretty amazing, and if you have tried the other stuff worth a shot even for an alternative medicine sceptic like me... it takes a while to show signs of working, but then clears up really quickly once it starts kicking in.

All the best

Old 07-27-2008, 10:16 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wow, happyfoot! Alternative meds can work miracles, I know that for a fact. Diana

Old 09-05-2008, 11:06 PM   #10
(female)

betwon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfoot17 View Post
I suddenly developed Psoriasis, it got to 90% coverage of my legs and was heading that way fast with the rest of my body, I saw western doctors, it was very depressing, nothing worked my P got worse and worse, tried more things...same result. Then I went to a chinese medicine doctor (P was starting to appear on my face (only place I didn't have P). and with a treatment of herbs and accupuncture from the registered chinese medicine doctor I was clear in 2 months... I don't know anyone else with P, but I know about 5 othre people with excma who had similar results with CMD's and who go back for maintenance one month a year and haven't had it again ever. (One of my friends had excma since she was 3 until 26 (went to CMD) and with the maintenance is still clear. It is pretty amazing, and if you have tried the other stuff worth a shot even for an alternative medicine sceptic like me... it takes a while to show signs of working, but then clears up really quickly once it starts kicking in.

All the best
Hey Happyfoot,

I see that your locations is in HK, Hong Kong? Where abouts it this Chinese Medicine Doctor? It is in Sham Shui Po?

I've heard stories about this doctor in Sham Shui Po and I really want to go and try it out.

Please let me know about it, I really was to go visit the CMD at the end of the year.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:08 PM   #11
(female)

betwon HB User

Hey Happyfoot,

I see that your locations is in HK, Hong Kong? Where abouts it this Chinese Medicine Doctor? It is in Sham Shui Po?

I've heard stories about this doctor in Sham Shui Po and I really want to go and try it out.

Please let me know about it, I really was to go visit the CMD at the end of the year.

Closed Thread