It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Psoriasis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2008, 01:49 AM   #1
(female)

bakingnut HB User
possible psoriasis with arthritis?

I have been diagnosed by a rheum. with osteoarthritis. All of my bloodwork came back normal for sjorgrens and RA even though the dr. was thinking I may have had both of them.
At my visit I tried to tell him that my scalp is starting to peel and it is covered on one side with white scaling. He paid no attention, but it is getting much worse. I have never had any scalp problems in my life. At age 51, this came on me just a few months ago. I don't want to be gross, but it isn't just dry skin, its really something different that I have never experienced before.
I have read on here that you can have psoriasis and arthritis, does anyone have any input on this?? Thanks.

bakingnut

Old 07-07-2008, 05:18 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Ronnied HB UserRonnied HB User
Re: possible psoriasis with arthritis?

Hi,

I have psoriatic arthritis, I had psoriasiss 5 years ago all over my body, hair included (it came out with it) and after many different steroid treatments the psoriasiss abated and never came back, but after a year all my joints started to hurt, and 4 years ago I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. I was told you can either get pa after the psoriassis or during. Usually its after. I have arthritis in neck, wrists, fingers, chest, hip, knees, ankles, and toes. They are not all painful at the same time, but I have good days and bad days. Next time you see your doctor ask about psoriatic arthritis, but you also need to see a dermatologist regarding the skin problem in your scalp, because not all scalp problems are psoriassis. Hope this helps.

Ronnie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2008, 06:52 AM   #3
(female)

bakingnut HB User

Ronnie,

Thanks so much for the advice. I will get the scalp looked at. It sounds like you went through quite a trauma, cannot even imagine. I am glad that the skin is better for you.
I have arthritis in all of the places you mentioned including my hands/fingers quite badly, and my spine. So I was trying to put two and two together, but I realize it doesn't need to be and could just be a scalp problem. Thanks again.

bakingnut

Old 07-07-2008, 02:33 PM   #4
(female)

terri38 HB User

Hi,

I've just been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis, Ronnie who spoke to you earlier was a great help to me as I didn't even know such a thing existed. I've had psoriasis on my scalp for years (raised itchy patches, that never really go away). My Rheumy was fantastic, I'd been referred with suspected R.A but she knew instantly it was psoriatic arthritis because it was in my back. Also you might notice your fingers swell up and go a bit numb and sort of useless (they look a bit like sausages??) Also I have big lumps on my tendons.

So there is most definitley an arthitis connected to psoriatic!! Apparently its quite rare, go back and tell your Doc to look again at your symptoms! Ronnie is great for advice because she's lived with this for so long, I still a bit clueless.
Take care!!

Old 07-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi, I've never been checked for this condition, however...several months ago I suddenly got some sort of rash on my scalp also. It was scaly at the base of my hairline, like where my hair meets my forehead and it would come & go. Since last summer, I keep getting similar rashes around both outer elbows and both ankles. And recently I noticed my entire scalp looked sort of flaky. I even tried dandruff shampoo & everythign, nothing is working. I tried all sorts of lotions on my ankels & elbows and that doesn't help either. I have no clue what my symptoms are from....but I just wanted to share that I also have something similar on my scalp. I also have OA...it's bad in my spine and my right ankle, it's worsening in my hips, and my entire pelvis hurts and I get what I think are joint pains in other areas as well. I also have problems in my neck & shoulders but haven't had those areas checked yet. I agree it's good to see a doctor about your symptoms...I hope the doc can figure out what is going on with you.....

Old 07-10-2008, 03:41 PM   #6
(female)

terri38 HB User

Hi

maybe when you point out the rash, it will make more sense to the Docs, but it sounds like psoriasis to me! I've been dx, they're just sorting out meds to keep it under control!

Last edited by terri38; 07-10-2008 at 03:42 PM.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:47 AM   #7
(female)

bakingnut HB User

Baybreeze

It sounds like you need to have your skin looked at as well. This really gets confusing, doesn't it. I never in a million years thought that arthritis had a "skin" component. Thanks for writing, I am certainly not alone on this one.

Terri38

I will point it out this time and it might put the puzzle pieces together. Thanks so much for writing. Hang in there

Bakingnut

Old 07-11-2008, 10:50 AM   #8
(female)

terri38 HB User

Hiya,

thanks for that. I know what you mean!! When my Rheumy asked if I had psoriasis , I was thinking, 'what has that got to do with anything!!' But unfortunatley for us, it has plenty to do with it. :-)

Old 07-11-2008, 10:56 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Baking - actually I had an appt. w/ my Rheum a couple months ago for something else; before then I had this rash on & off for several weeks. My podiatrist saw it & said it was probably eczema, he gave me some lotion, but it didn't help. But of course, by the time I saw my Rheum, the rash has gone away. I did tell him about it but there was nothing really for him to see. I bet if I see a Derm about it, by the time I see that doc, the same thing would happen. I do have lupus, but I don't think these rashes are connected to that. And I never got these before with any lupus flares. So who knows. But I do hope your rash will get diagnosed and hopefully there is some treatment that will help!

Closed Thread