It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Psoriasis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2008, 12:37 AM   #1
(male)

Maddman HB User
treatments for psoriasis or eczema: damn skin problem!

heres the backround,sorry for ramble

So I have been fighting with a very annoying skin problem . Probably considered psoriasis. I once thought it must be some kind of fungus, alot like athlete foot, that I have had problems with. When playing many different sports, with extreme heat and sweaty socks on for hours the athletes foot was a problem. eventually I pretty much got rid of it, with the usual anti itch and anti fungus otc meds, and keeping the feet cool and dry.
it was probably all gone for a while , but years later more itchy spots on the feet and then on the hands, fingers knuckles. this became the problem .
Spots and area of inflamed, blistering skin would develop. if left untreated , it could get terribly bad. Itchy, blistering spots, on the fingers , hands, feet.
Well, this has gone on for years . remembering back I believe a doc gave me a dose pac of methylprednisolone or something and that was one of the only times it went away for a long while. So after every few weeks or couple months i would end up going back and getting more topical ointments and then they wouldnt work so well. So I would see another doctor would give me the dose pac and more different ointments to try. Some of the ointments had good effects , but they seemed to be corticosteroids also. Not that they bother me at all, but thats the only thing that has worked .
But then the effectiveness has really worn off, and sometime the blistering itchy spots would return. So i let it get a little bad and returned to a doc and got him to prescribe alot of prednisone.
Well thank goodness for that sh*t. Its antinflammatory functions would take care of business. it appears my body likes the stuff(pred) .
The skin problem was/is psoriasis like showing up at my hands, around my fingers and at the borders of my palms ,and also on the tops of my feet...
The medication would clear it up in short order.
But then it would come back like usual . Now it appears it might be coming back a little more quickly .....
I know what is happening , and feel I should get off the pred stuff.

I need to find some other antinflammatory acting medicine or herb or treatment....
WHat oral anti inflammatory meds are htere out there???

Anyone have any ideas for a strong antiinflammatory for the skin ???

to replace oral or topical corticosteroids???

apparently there are some severe cases outhtere....

any herbs ,oils, nutrients or anything help anyone????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2008, 06:21 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

willy8512 HB User
Re: treatments for psoriasis, or eczema,dam skin problem

What you seem to be describing is eczema. It is close to psoriasis in the way it feels. Their are a lot of medications but not all work with everyone. Eczema is thought to be related to allergies and for some people diet makes a huge difference and others no difference.
If the dermatologist said it was psoriasis then diet will not do anything. If you haven't been diagnosed by a dermatologist I would do that. Then ask for Enbrel
Take a look at some of the information on eczema and see if that resembles your symptoms.
If it is eczema you need to change your washing habits and products. Then go on a produce diet staying mainly with alkalizing fruits and vegetables.

My skin problem is perplexing to the dermatologist. The skin doesn't itch and doesn't turn red or scaly it just hurts and stings periodically. some times for minutes sometimes for half an hour. But it always goes away after a shower.
They prescribed steroids which always made things worse. I'm on my fourth dermatologist. This time the doctor is actually listening not just saying it's eczema everything is eczema.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:49 AM   #3
(male)

Maddman HB User

ah the doctors seem to call it eczema also . but it seems they like to generalize ....

It is always poping up in circular spots , and seems more inflamed and blistery at times....if it gets bad, if it let develop I think its really alot like the psoriasis types

I have thought that drinking lots of beer has made it worse , i don't know if this is a function of hindering the immune system or something from the alcohol or yeast ....

all I can say is that it very unnatural and has gotta get eradicated....

I am about to start trying these various herbal remedies, and the magical potions found on the net

Last edited by Maddman; 07-11-2008 at 06:50 AM.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Um, if you have allergies, a whole mess of herbs might not be the best idea, either. Plenty of people are allergic to plants.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:19 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

willy8512 HB User

I agree
Herbal medicine is probably not the best choice.
Alcohol will definitely make it worse. This is eczema. I would bet that you would have better luck with modifying your skin care routines and especially your diet.
Try going a few days with just fruit and water absolutely no carbs or meat. Get short cool showers with oilatum not soap. Apply Vaseline on the areas that are giving you problems. Then see how much it improves. I say Vaseline because I bet you are allergic to some of the moisturizers that you have been using. I found out the hard way.
Diet for eczema is funny it's not that you are allergic to a specific product but you might not digest that product properly. You might test negative to something and later recognize that every time you use it your symptoms get bad.
I know that no one wants to be forced to have to live a certain way because of a skin problem, but even though I love hot spicy food, I realize the consequences.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Really treating skin problems is more about what to avoid than what to use.

Just like Willy, I can't use any moisturizers other than vaseline. I never touch perfume or hairspray, the only thing I wash with is Dove sensitive skin version soap, I use hypoallergenic laundry detergent, I avoid anything labeled "antibacterial." I do not change my brands of shampoo or deodorant, and I minimize contact with household cleansers.

None of these habits are paranoia, these rules have all been developed through painful experience.

Oh, yes, funny you mention Athlete's foot. I'm violently allergic to both the fungus and the treatments. Either one causes my foot to turn bright red, swell up, and become intensely painful, as in I could only rest with my foot propped above my head. I live in dread of ever contracting it again.

I think I'm getting a handle on my skin issues, though. I got a rash about a week ago, went to doctor monday, and.... I'm basically recovered. Less than a week, without any oral steroids! I used a steroid cream sparingly and took heavy doses of antihistamines, non-drowsy in the daytime, Benadryl at night. While steroid creams are not something you want to use every day, because they can eventually weaken the skin, not much gets into the bloodstream, so they are less dangerous than the pills, unless you are rubbing the stuff all over your body.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:56 AM   #7
(male)

Maddman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy8512 View Post
I agree
Herbal medicine is probably not the best choice.
Alcohol will definitely make it worse. This is eczema. I would bet that you would have better luck with modifying your skin care routines and especially your diet.
Try going a few days with just fruit and water absolutely no carbs or meat. Get short cool showers with oilatum not soap. Apply Vaseline on the areas that are giving you problems. Then see how much it improves. I say Vaseline because I bet you are allergic to some of the moisturizers that you have been using. I found out the hard way.
Diet for eczema is funny it's not that you are allergic to a specific product but you might not digest that product properly. You might test negative to something and later recognize that every time you use it your symptoms get bad.
I know that no one wants to be forced to have to live a certain way because of a skin problem, but even though I love hot spicy food, I realize the consequences.

What are the consequences ? of eating hot spicy foods for you ?

Old 08-14-2008, 01:10 AM   #8
(male)

Maddman HB User

yeah this skin crap is unbelievable ....

it really appears to me to be coming from internal causes , but I dont have a clue to what it might be .

I dont think I can give up spicy foods or read meat

Can a good dermatologist find out what might be causing this?

Docs seem to call it eczema, but most of the pics I have seen show eczema to be a dryer scaley redness... no ?
whatever this is , seems to be like ringworm spots(in some places),like psoriasis maybe, and then even more blistery, inflammed and itchy at other spots... very similar to an athete foot flare up ,but ...
I had a test done on it, and dermatologist said it was ....eczema ....
It was like they didnt have a clue , or even an idea ....

same ol story

Last edited by Maddman; 08-14-2008 at 01:13 AM.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:07 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

willy8512 HB User

When I eat spicy food, my skin will get bad about a day later. I will have to apply thick coats of Vaseline for a week. If I stay away from certain foods, My skin looks and feels normal. Even if I sweat, swim or whatever. It's all connected to food. I tested for food allergies and have none. I can eat five chicken wings and be fine. But if I eat twenty, general chows chicken or anything with high fructose corn syrup. I will have problems.
I usually apply olive oil after shower. I don't use soap, but I usually get two showers a day.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:13 PM   #10
(female)

betwon HB User

to Willy and Maddman,

I loveeee spicy food, and yes, the consequences are so bad that I've given up on all hot and spicy foods. Not just that, there's so much food that I've stopped eating.

I'm Chinese and most (Chinese) people know that beef is very bad for people who have allergies/eczema. Moreover, duck, taro, turnip, mango, kiwifruit, dairy (chocolates, ice creams) and even vitamin B12, these can trigger flare ups of eczema. I was absolutely shocked when I found out that people can be allergic to vitamins.

Try avoiding the foods above for approx 2 weeks, slowly adding one by one of them back into your diet, if you get itchy (esp. at night), maybe you are allergic to it.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:36 PM   #11
(female)

betwon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddman View Post
heres the backround,sorry for ramble

So I have been fighting with a very annoying skin problem . Probably considered psoriasis. I once thought it must be some kind of fungus, alot like athlete foot, that I have had problems with. When playing many different sports, with extreme heat and sweaty socks on for hours the athletes foot was a problem. eventually I pretty much got rid of it, with the usual anti itch and anti fungus otc meds, and keeping the feet cool and dry.
it was probably all gone for a while , but years later more itchy spots on the feet and then on the hands, fingers knuckles. this became the problem .
Spots and area of inflamed, blistering skin would develop. if left untreated , it could get terribly bad. Itchy, blistering spots, on the fingers , hands, feet.
Well, this has gone on for years . remembering back I believe a doc gave me a dose pac of methylprednisolone or something and that was one of the only times it went away for a long while. So after every few weeks or couple months i would end up going back and getting more topical ointments and then they wouldnt work so well. So I would see another doctor would give me the dose pac and more different ointments to try. Some of the ointments had good effects , but they seemed to be corticosteroids also. Not that they bother me at all, but thats the only thing that has worked .
But then the effectiveness has really worn off, and sometime the blistering itchy spots would return. So i let it get a little bad and returned to a doc and got him to prescribe alot of prednisone.
Well thank goodness for that sh*t. Its antinflammatory functions would take care of business. it appears my body likes the stuff(pred) .
The skin problem was/is psoriasis like showing up at my hands, around my fingers and at the borders of my palms ,and also on the tops of my feet...
The medication would clear it up in short order.
But then it would come back like usual . Now it appears it might be coming back a little more quickly .....
I know what is happening , and feel I should get off the pred stuff.

I need to find some other antinflammatory acting medicine or herb or treatment....
WHat oral anti inflammatory meds are htere out there???

Anyone have any ideas for a strong antiinflammatory for the skin ???

to replace oral or topical corticosteroids???

apparently there are some severe cases outhtere....

any herbs ,oils, nutrients or anything help anyone????
Maddman,

I have the same issue. I started getting the blisters on my hands about 4 years ago, it was only one, and then two.. didn't do anything about it, because I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT IT WAS.

After about 6 months, hundreds of them started to pop up on my hands, fingers and palm. It started to grow on my feet and toes, esp. around my ankles, that was the worse. I couldn't stop popping them too. But I've realised that it reduces the itch if they're popped to let all the water out.

I was on "prednisone" too, I loved it - I wouldn't mind taking that for the rest of my life. But I can't. My body is not coping well with prednisone now. I used to take it and it clears up my skin completely, and now, it just minimises the inflammatory, stops the weeping and my bumps remains there. And the eczema kicks back in before I even stop prednisone, it kicks back in when I reduce the dosage.

Prednisone is a very powerful drug with strong side effects, I couldn't sleep for 3 months, I only got my rest by lying on the bed half asleep (only if i'm lucky) during that time. My skins is so thin that you can see the blood vessels on my hands and feet. And I'm not sure if you've noticed this, but everytime you stop prednisone, it comes back quicker and worsens each time too.

Have you ever taken flaxseed oil? I've been taking it for about 2 months now, it's great. My skin is now soft, moisturised (it use to flake, I could see it when I take off my black clothes), and not inflammed as much. Maybe you should try it, it's natural stuff, shouldn't do you any harm.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:39 PM   #12
(female)

amyII HB User
Red face Re: treatments for psoriasis, or eczema,dam skin problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by betwon View Post
to Willy and Maddman,

I loveeee spicy food, and yes, the consequences are so bad that I've given up on all hot and spicy foods. Not just that, there's so much food that I've stopped eating.

I'm Chinese and most (Chinese) people know that beef is very bad for people who have allergies/eczema. Moreover, duck, taro, turnip, mango, kiwifruit, dairy (chocolates, ice creams) and even vitamin B12, these can trigger flare ups of eczema. I was absolutely shocked when I found out that people can be allergic to vitamins.

Try avoiding the foods above for approx 2 weeks, slowly adding one by one of them back into your diet, if you get itchy (esp. at night), maybe you are allergic to it.

Betwon,

that's not true. if you're skipping all that youre torturing urself. don't give up BEEF, TARO, MANGO, OR DUCK or SPICY FOOD. i'm chinese too and my dad told me the same things... and Pineapple and seafood like crabs and lobsters. I have those issues too. just wash dishes or whatever with gloves on or use only natural or mild soap like dove or baby johnson soap and use Aveeno lotion that's what i use and i'm not complain anymore. believe me i used to cook and wash dishes everyday. nothing can heal it it comes and goes. ask me ask me....my tears gonna come streaming down my face just from recalling those days when my dad used to limiting what i eat Do eat, and eat and avoid antibacterial whatever soap always wear gloves I can not avoid eating the above

i think if you avoid eating all that, u gonna go malnutrition then there's gonna be more problems w/ immune system

Last edited by amyII; 09-16-2008 at 02:54 PM.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:31 PM   #13
(female)

amyII HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by betwon View Post
Maddman,

I have the same issue. I started getting the blisters on my hands about 4 years ago, it was only one, and then two.. didn't do anything about it, because I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT IT WAS.

After about 6 months, hundreds of them started to pop up on my hands, fingers and palm. It started to grow on my feet and toes, esp. around my ankles, that was the worse. I couldn't stop popping them too. But I've realised that it reduces the itch if they're popped to let all the water out.

I was on "prednisone" too, I loved it - I wouldn't mind taking that for the rest of my life. But I can't. My body is not coping well with prednisone now. I used to take it and it clears up my skin completely, and now, it just minimises the inflammatory, stops the weeping and my bumps remains there. And the eczema kicks back in before I even stop prednisone, it kicks back in when I reduce the dosage.

Prednisone is a very powerful drug with strong side effects, I couldn't sleep for 3 months, I only got my rest by lying on the bed half asleep (only if i'm lucky) during that time. My skins is so thin that you can see the blood vessels on my hands and feet. And I'm not sure if you've noticed this, but everytime you stop prednisone, it comes back quicker and worsens each time too.

Have you ever taken flaxseed oil? I've been taking it for about 2 months now, it's great. My skin is now soft, moisturised (it use to flake, I could see it when I take off my black clothes), and not inflammed as much. Maybe you should try it, it's natural stuff, shouldn't do you any harm.

Hi,

don't pop 'em or scratch them they spread. if u do nothing to it, it'll go away on its own about 4 to 7 days( if you leave it alone and try not to let ur fingers touch each other ). there's nothing you can do but wait till it heal on its own. once it heals on its own, u gonna have to stop using antibacterial soap or wear gloves to wash dishes or your car. i recommend using mild soap because i use baby Johnson soap and aveen lotion and everything is under control for me about two years now, but once i break those rules(not using gloves) it pops back up.

warnings: garlic,juices of fruits, soap and shampoos...etc

do use:natural or mild soap(dove,baby johnson soap(i uses that))

do use:eucerin or aveeno(that's what i use)

must do: wear gloves

Old 09-16-2008, 09:26 PM   #14
(female)

betwon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyII View Post
Hi,

don't pop 'em or scratch them they spread. if u do nothing to it, it'll go away on its own about 4 to 7 days( if you leave it alone and try not to let ur fingers touch each other ). there's nothing you can do but wait till it heal on its own. once it heals on its own, u gonna have to stop using antibacterial soap or wear gloves to wash dishes or your car. i recommend using mild soap because i use baby Johnson soap and aveen lotion and everything is under control for me about two years now, but once i break those rules(not using gloves) it pops back up.

warnings: garlic,juices of fruits, soap and shampoos...etc

do use:natural or mild soap(dove,baby johnson soap(i uses that))

do use:eucerin or aveeno(that's what i use)

must do: wear gloves
Hi Amy,

I've read things about not to use anibacterial soap? But why?

I use baby shampoo, moisturisers and soap, it's great - not has much fragrance and harsh chemicials.

I know popping them are not recommended, but it's so hard not too. But I'll take your advice and stop =)

Old 09-16-2008, 09:37 PM   #15
(female)

betwon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyII View Post
Betwon,

that's not true. if you're skipping all that youre torturing urself. don't give up BEEF, TARO, MANGO, OR DUCK or SPICY FOOD. i'm chinese too and my dad told me the same things... and Pineapple and seafood like crabs and lobsters. I have those issues too. just wash dishes or whatever with gloves on or use only natural or mild soap like dove or baby johnson soap and use Aveeno lotion that's what i use and i'm not complain anymore. believe me i used to cook and wash dishes everyday. nothing can heal it it comes and goes. ask me ask me....my tears gonna come streaming down my face just from recalling those days when my dad used to limiting what i eat Do eat, and eat and avoid antibacterial whatever soap always wear gloves I can not avoid eating the above

i think if you avoid eating all that, u gonna go malnutrition then there's gonna be more problems w/ immune system

Amy,

It's so weird what people tell you what not to eat and CAN you eat. I guess everyone's body and system is different.

I have gotten myself into a stage that I have to avoid those foods whether if it's true or not. I just can't afford for my skin to break out again. Not like it's all gone now, but atleast it's not all raw from the itching. My life is ruined by this skin crap, I wanted to have babies but then I can't look after the baby if my hands are weeping all the time.

I never had a skin issues when i was a child and it only started to kick in when I reached my late teens. And I ate all of the above besides beef when I was little because my family are buddist and my parents would never cook it, therefore, no beef. However, now that I'm older, I kind of broke the rules and started to eat it, maybe that's why I broke out with all these problems. So, I stopped.. =( I really miss it.

Closed Thread