It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Psoriasis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2008, 10:12 AM   #1
(female)

Sugar64 HB User
Question what's the difference between eczema and psoriasis?

Okay, so I went to my doctor about my itchy scalp and itchy little bumps on my skin (elbows, knees, etc), and she said it could be either eczema or psoriasis. She said my scalp looks fine, just a little irritated and that the swollen glands on the back of my neck are from scratching my scalp so much, that I may have introduced some bacteria through a little cut from scratching. She said the swollen glands would go away and to be patient, but that I don't have a fungal or bacterial infection. She referred me to a dermatologist and told me to try Neutrogena T-Gel shampoo for my scalp. Stinks, but it helps! She said to let the dermatologist prescribe any creams after she decides if it's eczema or psoriasis. So, what's the difference between the two? Have any of you tried anything over the counter that works for these? I'd like to try something because my derm appointment isn't for another few weeks.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

willy8512 HB User
Re: what's the difference between eczema and psoriasis?

Psoriasis is when the body produces excess skin and the skin gets thick and red. this is pretty rare. Eczema is supposedly an allergic reaction to an innocuous substance. Which could be anything. The body reacts by sending histamine to the location and your skin breaks down and gets dry. That is all a guess as the doctors don't know or care. The symptoms of eczema seem to be diverse, as most doctors say eczema when they don't have a clue. The primary symptom seems to be dry irritated itchy skin. I don't have any of those symptoms but they said it's eczema anyway.
Their is no cure and the treatment varies from moisturizers to heavy duty steroid creams. Diet seems to play a huge role as does staying away from substances that irritate your skin.
I am allergic to pine tree's but I can get sap all over and never sneeze or have any reaction to pollen.
I went to five different dermatologist and received as many diagnoses. So I don't have much respect for dermatologists. They seem to have a dart board.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2008, 10:32 AM   #3
(female)

leighmarker1313 HB User

did you ever find out if it was psoriasis ?

Old 08-11-2008, 05:30 AM   #4
(female)

Sugar64 HB User

I have my derrmatologist appointment tomorrow. My PCP was no help at all. I've been using medicated shampoo, and it helps, but my scalp still itches. The itchy red little bumps on my skin are gone, but once in a while they still pop up randomly. From the descriptions I've read about it, it just doesn't seem to be psoriasis.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:17 AM   #5
(female)

leighmarker1313 HB User

well let us know, I have been told I had serebrha (sp??) dermittis, but I am very doubtful...

Old 08-15-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
(female)

Sugar64 HB User

Well, I went to the derm, and she told me that I have "localized scratch dermatitis" and the medical term for it is lichen simplex chronicus. She said it's in the very early stages and gave me a corticosteriod lotion to use. I think I've used it a total of four times now and my bumps and itch are pretty much gone. I have to use it for 2 weeks and she said I may have outbreaks from time to time. So basically, I have dry itchy bumps Mystery solved.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:42 PM   #7
(female)

Rowana HB User

Psoriasis is an autoimmune disease. Be grateful you don't have it.

Glad you have your eczema under control.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:36 PM   #8
(female)

betwon HB User

I've been really upset these few days because of my ezcema or psoriasis (whatever is it) has been flaring up quite bad lately, all over my body.

My symptoms are:
extremely round itchy bumps (rosy colour, when it's not infected)
bumps approx 3mm - 5mm
harden thicked bumps after applying steriod creams
bumps that are symmetric (i get a spot on the left, same place on my right)
weeping after stratching
gets worse everytime i stop steriod treatments (prednisone 20mg)

I have these itchy tiny (water) blisters on my hands, palm and fingers too, they're starting to spread now, the symptoms are the same as above, but bigger as it's spreaded and they're attached to my other rashes on my hands.

Can anyone tell me what I have or advice?

Thanks

Old 05-13-2011, 04:37 PM   #9
(male)

apple HB User

The biggest difference between conditions can be found by looking at photos online of those conditions.

I've made a simple, though unscientific, approach to the difference by the shape and size of the sore.

If you look at psoriasis photos you typically see small, circular red spots on the skin. And when viewing ezema photos, you typically see a large swath of all red, like a birth mark. The redness just engulfs an area; there is seldom just small red spots like you see in the psoriasis photos.

Therefore, psoriasis if small red spots.
And most likely ezema if an entire area is red.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:53 AM   #10
(male)

australianboy HB User

With biopsy it is possible to diagnose Psoriasis. Eczema is a name for an undefined skin problem.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:09 PM   #11
(male)

australianboy HB User

It is possible to detect Psoriasis only after biopsy.
Also, In Psoriasis, the dry skin is 1-2 mm above the healthy skin.
Another aspect, is that Psoriasis is a chronic disease, and if the skin has the problem for few weeks, it does not have to be Psoriasis.
To my opinion many people get Psoriasis after they came to the doctor with another problem, and the steroids caused the Psoriasis.
But you will not find a doctor that will admit it.
In a lab it was demonstrated that a mice can get psoriasis after receiving steroids.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:12 PM   #12
(male)

davee76 HB User

This topic is so frustrating. I've seen several doctors over the years for my issues and have gotten as many diagnoses as doctors I've seen...

Old 12-05-2011, 05:00 PM   #13
(male)

GOMER2 HB User

I have had psoriasis since my teen years. (along with a few other autoimmune issues). I know its psoriasis because it was biopsied back in 1982 after a lymph node cancer surgery, just to be sure.

Gomer

Closed Thread