It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Psoriasis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2008, 06:56 AM   #1
(female)

amanda1126 HB User
Steroid Shots and Psoriasis

I've had psorasis ever since I can remember - at least 15-20 years. It started appearing on my knees, scalp, and hands. The med. OLUX has permanetly cleared up those areas (no problems for 2 years now).

However, my wedding is approaching (3 weeks) and the psoriasis never leaves my elbows. OLUX controls the plaques VERY well on a daily basis. The dermatologist suggested steroid shots after trying every med. in the book to clear up my elbows for this one time event. About 25 shots in the elbows later, it seems to be working. In just 4 days the plaques, redness, swelling, and scabs are gone! I am so thrilled. But after researching what I had done, it appears that rebound is something I should be concerned about.

Do you think the plaques and redness will reappear within the next 3 weeks? Is is possible that I won't have the rebound effect? Does anyone have sucess stories about plaques NOT coming back after the shot?

Honestly, my elbows have never looked this great and I have a hard time believing that it will come back worse!

Old 10-04-2008, 08:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User
Re: Steroid Shots and Psoriasis

Hey, congrats on the wedding. I'd like to wish you the best.

I'm in the process of trying to recover from a cortisone induced flare of my palmoplantar pustular psoriasis so I decided to wander over from the thyroid board to see what others were into.

I had a systemic injection of Kenalog 60 and I'm at the point where I would really like to strangle a dermie. He assured me nothing would happen. 3 weeks later, he declared me cured. My hands looked wonderful. At week 5 they exploded. I've visited many psoriasis boards the past couple months. Some people flare, some people don't. It seems that the people who continue to use very mild treatment after the injection seem to last out longer before they flare, if they flare at all.

What I would suggest is to stop stressing over it. You've got enough stress on your plate as it is and stress is a known trigger for a psoriasis flare. If it was a long acting steroid injection, it should get you thru the wedding. And probably the honeymoon too!!!

Take a chill pill and enjoy the upcoming event. It's the union itself that's important and not the outside appearances of things. Just try and have fun and enjoy it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread