It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Psoriasis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2009, 08:09 AM   #1
(female)

NaturalBlondie HB User
Cool Newbie--and has psoriasis

I am new to the site...I have had psoriasis for 13 years now. I have a pretty moderate case, but I'm trying to limit the use of some treatments because of all the side effects. If anyone has any suggestions or remedies, I would appreciate them.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
(male)

dvdsackey HB User
Lightbulb Re: Newbie--and has psoriasis

Have had realy bad psoriasis for years (about 30 years) until I tried humira injection, 40mg under skin every other week, every thing is gone !! Even Enbrel stopped working; expensive but works. forget about all those hydrocortisones and fish oils, over the counter psoriasis treatment. You would be throwing your money away. Of course you need moisturizers to reduce dryness, but that is it, the new treatment of choice for most people is the MABS.

Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
(female)

NaturalBlondie HB User
Re: Newbie--and has psoriasis

Thanks! I am a little wary of Humira b/c I'm still in my child-bearing years and worry about long-term side effects. What exactly is the MABS?

Old 06-30-2009, 11:39 PM   #4
(male)

dvdsackey HB User

The "MABS" are disease modifying drugs recently developed for several disease conditions such as arthritis and psoriasis. * link to commercial website and related info removed by hb-mod, moderator * These drugs are not "cures"
because the main problem with psoriasis is your genetic makeup that cannot be changed, but you would live a reasonable life style again and discard your long sleeves and wear shorts again. Contact your doctor to discuss other issues with these drugs. The number one problem is its effect on your immunity and infections. You cannot use it if you have a chronic infection and test and monitoring has to be done whiles on this. Not heard of effects on child birth, but again check it out at HUMIRA website and discuss with your doctor.
Its working for me now b/c I inject every other week as opposed to twice weekly like others drugs, and above all my patches are gone except one stubborn patch on my legs.
stay blessed

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-01-2009 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Please don't post links and/or information regarding commercial websites as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:10 PM   #5
(male)

semr HB User

I have had Psoriasis since a child...about 40 years off and on. I am currently using Enbrel injections and either Vanos Cream or Taclonex. I have tried virtually all of the over the counter treatments and various prescription creams by themselves. None of that worked for me. It made modest short term improvements at best. The enbrel has worked well...although I had to stop taking it for finacial reasons a year ago and have since restarted the treatments, it has not been quite as effective this time. I have much smaller patches on my elbows and a couple of stubborn spots on my knees that flair up even with the cream but they are mostly gone. I also have a couple of spots around the ankle that just don't want to go away, even with cortisone injections. They are better with the Taclonex but they have not gone away. My main concer with side effects is of course the lymphoma and it seems to have affected my vision somewhat but, at my age it is hard to tell if that is just age, or the medication. My Doctor said that he has not heard of any vision problems associated with Enbrel...which is why I am on this site researching that. I have noticed very few other side effects. I am at a job where cuts, scrapes and dirt and grime are part of the daily grind. I haven't had any problems with infections that I can blame on the medication. I haven't gotten "sick" more often that I have noticed either. I do have more sinus issues than I have had at a younger age but so does my wife and she isn't on any medications so that is most likely our location not medication. Hope this helps you make an informed decision

Old 10-11-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
(female)

southenngal HB User

The Doogroo oil that you can buy at Walgreen or CVS works great. It won't go away totally but keeps it under control and smells nice. I have struggled with scalp psorasis for 30 years and it is the only thing that controls it the best, with the less trouble, less mess, and I have tried alot of things. Good luck

Closed Thread