It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Psoriasis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2010, 06:35 AM   #1
(female)

jessmari HB User
psoriatic arthritis.. anyone else?

I am 23 years old. I've been in a flare for 8 wks now and was just diagnosed 2 days ago with psoriatic arthritis. my psoriasis isnt bad at all, i really didnt know i even had it, the arthritis part is terrible! this a.m was a terrible one. I couldnt even put weight on my ankle. now it is swollen, also along with other joints painful.

Just wondering if anyone else has been diagnosed with this, or anyone of my age range? I'm trying to stay sane, but the pain is unbearable when its here.

~Jessica

Old 02-11-2010, 03:06 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User
Re: psoriatic arthritis.. anyone else?

Hi there Jessica, My husband has PA- he was diagnosed about 2 years ago but had undiagnosed symptoms for a year or so before then. His psoriasis is very mild too- just a bit in his scalp. He is a lot older than you though- 60 at diagnoses! He is mainly affected in the hands, wrists, and shoulders- so far no trouble with any weight bearing joints at all. He is on methotrexate, sulphasalazine & mobic and has improved a lot since diagnoses. His inflamatory factor has come down a lot, so we are hoping it stays there!

I hope you find the right drugs to help you soon too- it seems to be a very painful condition- & difficult to diagnose! The treatment seems to vary with the individual- just a case of trying till you find what is best for you. Hang in there.

Last edited by bubblegirl; 02-11-2010 at 03:08 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2010, 12:25 AM   #3
(female)

limpy in limbo HB User

My son and mother have it. My son really thinks he only has psorisis, but aches a lot. Mother was given the drug Enbrel and said it did nto help. I am on that same drug for rheumatoid arthritis. It really has helped me. when I was first diagnosed I was in awful pain and it took weeks to diagnose me as the tests came back neg. I found a really good rheumatologist which is esential to getting yours under control. With my son stress brought his on, a purchase of a home, a new wife coming on and a child of hers to support, another home to sell.He was in his early 30's 3 yrs ago. I want to cry for you, but there is help. Find a really good R. A. doctor. Keep complaining in order to get relief. My joints hurt so bad I could nto even pull up the bed sheet at times. God Bless, hang in there, better days are coming. limpy in limbo

Old 02-18-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
(female)

StacieinTX HB User

My mother has had it as far back as I can remember. I am pretty sure she told me she was in her 20s when she was dx'ed. She's been on numerous meds...methotrexate is one. She did the one with the IV but switched to Enbrel. That worked wonders for a while but now her hip has all of a sudden gotten really, really bad. Until that, you would never know this woman of 70 had anything wrong with her! So they are switching her, I think, to Humira (??). Her psoriasis never flairs up anymore, and hasn't in many years.

I have Fibromyalgia. Now, and the reason I have come to this board is my daughter is now having joint pain everywhere and we are still in the "ruling out" phase. *Sigh* family curse?

I feel your pain and hope you get some relief.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:26 AM   #5
(female)

jessmari HB User

U all have been so helpful with the understanding u have for ur family members illness. I am starting to feel a little bit better. I too have a hip that seems to be the worst but has been a little better for the past 2 days. They have me on meloxicam and sulfafedazine (sp?) the first week on these meds was horrible and my doc said they need time to build up in ur system, now I am half way thru the 2nd week and feeling a little better, on my 3rd week I am suppose to double my dose of the sulfa medication.
Thank u all for ur support and as always all insights are welco
e.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #6
(male)

robinhood75 HB User

I was told I had it 4 years ago. I had a lot of problems with my knees from the age of about 14. I was told it was growing pains and it would go away when I was about 17. It didn't and I just accepted that it was the way it was meant to be. Then 4 years ago my wrists, fingers, toes and ankles started to get very swollen with my finger looking more like a pork sausage. I went back to the hospital where i had blood tests, ultra sound scans and even a scan in a big loud machine. I was told I had Fibromyalgia then something else and so on till one day my nails went all funny. I went back and they sent me to see a rheumatologist who said that I had psoriatic arthritis. I was just happy to find out what I had. Since then I have been on all sort of drugs and tbh nothing has worked. I'm in a lot of pain and people look at me and say there is nothing wrong with you, your faking it. If only they knew. I am on at the moment methatrexate 20mg 8 tablets a week, folic acid 1 the day before and after methatrexate, sulfasalazine 500mg 4 tablets a day, gabapentin 300mg 3 tablets a day, diclofenac 75mg 2 tablets a day, paracetamol as and when but take 2 four times a day, and lansoprazole 30mg 1 a day as I get very bad acid with all the others I take.

I'm 34 years old and out of work, I use to work 50 hours a week on nights in a petrol station but it got too much and I quit. I had an accident in October last year where I got run over and I had a spiral fracture on my left ankle. The problems I had was trying to walk on crutches with arthritis in my wrists, I could only handle a few meters then had to rest. My foot is almost better now but I'm having so many problems with my other ankle. Its very swollen sometimes and other times I cant even walk, my two toes next to my big toe on my right foot are all bent inwards which don't help also. I cant run at all too painful. I just wish the pain would go away even for one day. I know its not the worst form of arthritis but its enough for me. I feel for the other folks. Anyways rant over n thanks for reading.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:18 AM   #7
(female)

kenaly HB User

I have PA. I was diagnosed when I was 18/19. I am 46 now. It took a long time to diagnose because at first I just had joint pain.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #8
(male)

robinhood75 HB User

i feel ur pain hope you get it sorted soon.

Last edited by robinhood75; 02-15-2011 at 06:01 PM.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #9
(female)

heksie HB User

hey Jes
Yes we all get it after awhile Go and see an Dermatologist one thing there is help for artritis try to an calsium vitamins daily and remember the Vit b12 and vit c so that you do take up the calsiuM.

good luck

Closed Thread