It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Psoriasis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2002, 06:28 PM   #1

cowboy51 HB User
Psoriasis

I've had psoriasis for 30 years, but the last ten years it has gotten worse. I've used Valisone cream and it used to work, but has lost it's effectiveness, plus as the areas have gotten larger, it takes too much. I've seen some info on the net about Anthralin, also known as Drithocreme. Has anyone used this? And how's is it's effectiveness? I understand you apply it once daily, then wash it off minutes later. Or does anyone have any other good remedies?

Old 03-16-2002, 09:01 PM   #2
(female)

nailchick2000 HB User
Re: Psoriasis

I've had psoriasis on and off since my teens...mostly on until I discovered a fantastic dermatologist. He prescribed Dovonex and Cormax for daily use, plus I have injections in the spots as they reappear. But before I went to him,(my case has always been severe} I had almost cleared it up myself. I bought a product (I just can't think of the name of it now) that I saw advertised in the rag magazines..(I'll think of it in a minute..it's on the tip of my toungue). It gave me terrific results, and one of the main ingredients was burdock root. The lotion was quite expensive so when I ran out, I bought burdock root tincture. It's a liquid that comes in a bottle with an eyedropper top. It was like $7.00. You can get it at healthfood stores and herbal shops. I applied it directly to my skin and the lesions thinned out dramaticly!! The milder lesions completely disappeared. This was the most effective at home solution for me. But I've also heared success stories of people bathing with Murphey's Oil Soap, and Clairol Herbal Essence Body Wash did the trick for a friend of mine. I haven't tried the product that you mentioned though. I still can't think of the name of that mail order product though. I know that it will come to me as soon as I submit this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2002, 06:35 PM   #3

slummyj HB User

My derm had me try Protopic. It was developed for eczema, but it has sometimes worked for psoriasis. Many times it has releived redness and dryness for me. The derm said that it, like Dovonex, isn't a cortisone, so it is preferred.

Old 03-17-2002, 07:00 PM   #4

blessedtwice2001 HB User

This will open up a whole new discussion, but currently I am getting in a tanning bed and it is helping. Phototherapy had been recommended by dermatologsit but I couldn't drive 60 miles three times a week. (One is,I think< UVA light therapy...tanning bed is UVB light.)

Anyway it is working. Also, my brother said to try Tea Tree Oil (he has been into natureopathy for a long time and is studying to be a Doc of Natureopathy)

I have Dovenex and one other product but after 12 years of skin problems, I get tired of the creams.

Old 03-18-2002, 08:33 PM   #5

slummyj HB User

I have used a tanning bed once in a while. Usually about 2 or 3 days after using it, I would notice an improvement. I haven't used it for the last few months since I haven't had the time. I found Dovonex gradually seems to work, but it is drying. This week, I decided to try nothing and see what happens. I haven't noticed any changes for the worse, and it has been about 4 days.

Old 03-26-2002, 08:58 PM   #6

cowboy51 HB User

I tried the burdock root tonic and it does seem to help. I bought 2 ounces for about $12, then decided to try to make my own. I found a burdock plant and cut up the root and added a little water and boiled it till tender. Then strained out the pulp and boiled the liquid down. It is still watery, but still helps. It's too soon to know for sure, but I'll keep you posted. I apply it with the dropper and rub it in 2 or 3 times a day. The boughten type had glycerin in it, so it wasn't as drippy, but made it sticky. The glycerin also helps soften the skin. You could add some glycerin to the homemade tonic as well.
I also tried the tea tree oil one day, but it didn't seem to help and dried the skin out, plus the smell is almost toxic. Maybe it would work better if I stuck with it, but I was trying the burdock root tonic also, and it seemed to do better for me.

Closed Thread