It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Psoriasis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2011, 02:50 AM   #1
(female)

wena HB User
Unhappy Psoriasis I need help

I need help I developed what has been diagnosed as psoriasis but may be a side effect from Lamicatal I need something that will keep it from reoccuring does anyone know of a good over the counter drug I tried dermarest worked but came back Psor:confusedasin working well but slowly and coming back Is there a treatment that keeps it from returning It is good at times then bad It is causing a problem in my living arrangements

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #2
(male)

australianboy HB User
Re: Psoriasis I need help

Hi Wena, My advise to you is not to use any creams and steroids, they make the psoriasis worse and worse. What helped me is a UVB lamp that I purchased.. The psoriasis is not cured but when I use the lamp every day or 2 there is only about 5 percent of it. I think that my situation became worse because of the steroids and that is why it is hard to cure my skin. I heard from many people that the creams make it worse.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-01-2011 at 09:38 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website, for any reason.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
(female)

wena HB User
Smile Re: Psoriasis I need help

Thanks for the advice the regular over the counter ointments and creams help but It comes back when I am stressed

I dont use steroids and I am not sure if I can use Light therapy because I am Bipolar and they use Light theraphy for depressions to lift it and if it lifts a deoression it would send me into mania

I dont know the answer I have to see another doctor I think this has been going on for the past year without much relief

It is better though in some places than before on my forehead and my scalp it is almost gone so I just dont know what to do if it works in some places why not others ???

Old 10-01-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
(male)

australianboy HB User

Psoriasis phototherapy is not the same. It cannot harm you, on the contrary it makes a good mood like tanning in a tanning bed or in the sun.
Some clinics have a comb of UVB or another kind of UVB source. It is a matter of few minutes only since the scalp is very sensitive to the light and the cure is permanent or for a long time.
Also you can try coal tar shampoo.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
(female)

wena HB User

Thanks I have tried a few thingwws and it is better just seems to be taking a long time to go away I am using one now that is working very well it is expensive My sister told me about another ointment which works the best and I will try that How long (If you dont mind my asking) have you had it does it go away or is it something I have to live with My doctor said reduce the stress and it will respond better I better tell him and let him see if it is doing better I only scratch at times of stress which makes it worse Thanks for your help and advice

Old 10-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

my ex-husband was bi-polar and had psoriasis and he had a light machine and it never caused him any problems....it worked well for him

Quote:
Originally Posted by wena View Post
Thanks for the advice the regular over the counter ointments and creams help but It comes back when I am stressed

I dont use steroids and I am not sure if I can use Light therapy because I am Bipolar and they use Light theraphy for depressions to lift it and if it lifts a deoression it would send me into mania

I dont know the answer I have to see another doctor I think this has been going on for the past year without much relief

It is better though in some places than before on my forehead and my scalp it is almost gone so I just dont know what to do if it works in some places why not others ???

The following user gives a hug of support to rosequartz:
wena (10-03-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to rosequartz For This Useful Post:
wena (10-03-2011)
Old 10-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
(male)

australianboy HB User

Hi Wena, What ointment you use now, that you say is good for you?
There are endless medications that can help for a short time but make things worse after some time. Even if they say that there are no steroids in them, they might lie. There are no miracles in Psoriasis.

And about your question: Sometimes the psoriasis leaves you for years, and sometimes it loves you and does not want to leave you.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #8
(female)

ccbloom HB User

hi i have had this since i was 12 yrs old. i have it just on my head and it is embarrassing and itchy, sometimes its ok and then flares up,worse in winter?! also i do know that stress triggers it off too. i have over the yrs used lots of different lotions,shampoos. none of which work and some smell bad! i got some mild relief from it but not too much really. i dont have it as bad as some-with raised pink skin bleeding, mine tends more to be smaller clusters of extra dry skin like dandruff in overdrive!! any way i met a lady whilst on holiday, we got chatting about our kids etc and met a couple more times and got talking about this and that. it turned out she worked for a company that sold cosmetics etc. she kindly gave me a sample she had with her and i could not believe that it worked! i thought after all these yrs i have found smething that works. when i got back to uk i ordered some online and at times i have not had it and it flares up again. it may work for u but it may not. all i can suggest is trying it in the smalles amount to buy. i know she explained there was shampoo and also creams that help both psoriasis and exzema. the brand is called arbonne- i dont know where it originates from but the lady who i met was canadian. maybe look it up. i am currently without it myself and my psoriasis is geting on my nerves at the mo. gd luck

Old 10-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #9
(male)

australianboy HB User

Hi CCBLOOM,
I don't know what arbonne put in their cream, but your temporary relief from the Psoriasis can be from the psychological effect of trying a new thing, which increases your hopes and positive mood, that made your P. better.
Also maybe they put some steroids, or something that helps the P. for some time.
The shampoo that you mentioned with the bad smell, probably coal tar shampoo, is very good and I think you should try it again. Wash it only it is 10 minutes on the hair and search for the shampoo with the highest percentage of coal tar.
Together with UVB it is called Geokerman treatment (A doctor that worked at mayo clinic) and this treatment is very common in hospitals. Normally with 100 percent coal tar for few hours over the whole body.
Some people enjoy this smell. really.

Closed Thread