It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Psoriasis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
(female)

medpoor HB User
Unhappy Worried & at my wits end

My 16 year old son has inverse psoriasis all over his genital area starting down his thighs, his bottom, under his arm, in his ear, on his nostrils, and on his scalp. It started when he was 8 and has been ongoing since. First of all we went through all different creams and ointments for bacteria infections and yeast infections. He was on meds for ADHD and asthma. He also has aortic stenosis. During the course of these 8 years he has had a collapsed lung and was on real strong antibiotics. He has been off of all medications for 7 months. (I thought that the meds may have been causing some of the problem.) I need to give you a medical history so you know where I'm coming from.

Six months ago, I finally asked our family physician to send us to a dermatologist. The dermatologist diagnosed it as inversed psoriasis and gave him a prescription for Protopic for his body and Clobetasol for his scalp. The problem is that when he starts to heal in the genital area, it starts to itch him real bad so he won't use the Protopic anymore. He can't take Benadryl or the like because of the heart disease. I'm so tired of dealing with doctors with this problem and hoping some one out there can help me out.

He has been taking fish oil for the past 3 months for his ADHD, but does not seem to be helping the psoriasis. We have changed his diet, changed laundry soaps, the brand of underwear he wears, I have tried everything I can think of.

He is miserable, I am miserable. Can anyone give us some suggestions, we are willing to try almost anything at this point. He has always had short hair and has now grown it long to cover up his ears. I'm sorry for taking up so much of your time with such a long post, but its pertinent that all the facts are out there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
(female)

cadbrm HB User
Re: Worried & at my wits end

There is no cure for psoriasis I have had it for years and have spent heaps of money on creams etc I found a good dermatologist and for the last 5 years have been on Methotrexate and have not one mark on me. I have blood tests every month as this drug is toxic but quality of life is worth the risk. Keep you eye on your son as Depression can develop with this disease as it really makes you feel ugly. Also you could try Coal Tar liquid in a bath but these are all temp measures and high maintenance
Good luck

Old 11-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
(female)

cadbrm HB User
Re: Worried & at my wits end

Hi unfortunately there is no cure for psoriasis over the years I have tried everthing on the market costing heaps of money. Most of the creams etc are really high maintenance. I felt ugly and ended up very depressed quality of life was NIL. I found a good Dermatologist and he put me on Methotrexate and I have never looked back. I have no marks on my skin at all it cleared up within a month but I will need to stay on this medication or it will come back. I get blood tests monthly and have had no problems at all. I realise your son is very young and may not be eligible to use this drug but if he is its well worth considering as at his age appearance is everything and he would be able to be happy in himself.
Coal Tar would give him some relief in his bath but battling this on a day to day basis is so hard for anyone never mind a young lad.
My thoughts are with you both good luck.

Closed Thread