It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Psoriasis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
(female)

Marydu26 HB User
Scalp Psoriasis?

My scalp is super itchy and flakey. It's getting so bad that my scalp is getting really clumpy and scaly. Is this psoriasis of the scalp?

Is there anyway I can treat it at home since I don't have health insurance.

I have tried Nioxin shampoo & Denorex, but they aren't working.

My hair is falling out & becoming suuuuuper thin due to this. What can I do? Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 05-26-2012, 05:22 AM   #2
(female)

Mrs Beschier HB User
Re: Scalp Psoriasis?

I started using this stuff called "Butt Aid" diaper rash ointment, you can get it from the dollar tree... it's been 2 days and it's gone! Not one flake... I cried I was so happy.

I had chunks of skin i could pull out of my hair and my hair got so thinned out i have a bald spot on the top of my head ... now the flakes are gone so I am praying my hair will grow back.

But getting the butt aid out of your hair is really difficult so don't use it if you have work early in the morning... It took me 3 long hot showers with lots of conditioner and dish soap to remove it, shampoo alone did nothing to it.

Last edited by Mrs Beschier; 05-26-2012 at 05:24 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
(female)

deepdrifter HB User
Smile Re: Scalp Psoriasis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marydu26 View Post
My scalp is super itchy and flakey. It's getting so bad that my scalp is getting really clumpy and scaly. Is this psoriasis of the scalp?

My hair is falling out & becoming suuuuuper thin due to this. What can I do? Thanks in advance for any help!
The symptoms you have described were exactly what I was going through, even going to the extreme of having to wear a wig.
I would recommend using Neutrogena T/Gel shampoo and T/Gel conditioner.
My scalp psoriasis cleared within a week and I have never looked back.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:31 AM   #4
(male)

chboards HB User

I've had it for 20 years, and nothing has worked outside of Bumble & Bumble extra moisturing shampoo. It does leave me with a very moisturized scalp, and then something to 'work out' afterward with the inevitable placque. But what I've learned is that the 'edges' of my scalp are what need treatment to be around customers- I use vaseline intensive gel (yes, the goop) and it takes care of those areas. The vaseline helps to congele the psoriasis so that I can either ignore it on good days, or literally peel it off on bad days. I am very employee/customer facing and hell if I will let this disease get in my way!!!

Old 08-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
(female)

rjm77 HB User

I have had scalp psoriasis forever and have never been able to get rid of it. I have tried all the shampoos, and the steroid creams the dermatologist gave me and nothing worked. The medicated shampoos just made my hair dry. I started using an all natural psoriasis shampoo and it has eliminated the itching and the patches have started to clear up.

Bonus, my hair is back to normal and doesn't feel like hay anymore.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-13-2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website for any reason

Old 09-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
(male)

muliar HB User

Quote:
Sometimes I have this type of psoriasis, it recurring especially after hair colouring (!).

I am using сream with betamethasone + salicylic acid - the best combination for me! Just for one day in weekend. You would have 1 day insomnia but almost free skin after that.
I have also Addison's disease, so betamethasone does not make me feel unusual (and doesn't harm as well).

Old 09-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
(male)

SMcDuff HB User

I've had Psoriasis for many years... since I was a teenager. I found my hands and feet stopped showing symptoms a long time ago and have only recently come back since I caught Norwalk a year ago.

My scalp however has always shown signs. It looks like I have bad dandruff all the time. I won't even change hair dressers because of it. M current hair dresser knows my problem. It makes things a little less embarrassing for me. It also shows up in my BEARD! (Gross!)

I've found temporary relief with Neutrogena TGel but it doesn't help completely. My doctor gave me some samples of Dovobet ointment to try. This helped a bit more but it got awful messy.

To deal with it lately I have been using an over the counter product called Psoriasin. It not only helps on my hands and feet but I rub small amounts into my scalp (trying to spare the hair) and let it sit for an hour or two. Then I wash with TGel. This has provided me with the best protection of all. I still get small amounts of flakes but it has brought it under control. I will say though it is a bit messy. I am going to try applying a treatment before bed and wearing a shower cap to bed. Then washing it out in the morning. Just to see if it gives me a longer amount of relief.

People who don't suffer from this don't understand how hard it can be on you. Good luck.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
(female)

xSky HB UserxSky HB User

Quote:

Yes, it is. Know that you aren't alone. I am also suffering from this, but in my case it's not that extreme. It only gets worse since my hair is oily and if I'm stressed out.

Maybe try Neutrogena T/Sal Scalp Build-Up Control? I use it most of the times.
The itching and stuff won't completely go away, but you'll feel a bit better .

Old 01-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #9
(female)

grayfox HB Usergrayfox HB Usergrayfox HB User
Smile Re: Scalp Psoriasis?

Hi,

I have had scalp psoriasis for over thirty years and still can't get rid of it. I have been to several dermatologists and used prescriptioned shampoos that were specially mixed, every type of shampoo that you can buy over the counter and still can't get rid of it. Right now I'm using Redken All Soft shampoo because my hair started to feel like straw using the medicated shampoos. It has helped but when I get stressed the itching becomes terrible and I constantly scratch my scalp.

I fully understand what you are going through. I don't know if this shampoo will help you, but it has helped me tolerate the itching.

Grayfox

Old 02-01-2013, 01:45 AM   #10
(female)

Finest1104 HB User

I have scalp/ear psoriasis..lately I have been using natural aloe. I buy aloe leaf for $2 at supermarket, slice open and remove insides, liquify in blender and apply directly to scalp. I leave on from 1/2 hour or over night. Washes out easily. Have noticed some significant improvement. You can also try coconut oil or warm some olive oil and apply to scalp. Please let us know if any recommendations work for you.

Last edited by Finest1104; 02-01-2013 at 01:46 AM.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #11
(female)

nana b HB Usernana b HB Usernana b HB User

My son is 25 yrs old and struggles daily with psoriasis. His hair, face, and ears are scally and flaky. I need some help for him.

He has been to so many dermatologists with cream after cream, nothing seems to help.

any suggestions, vitamins? shampoos, anything.. he really doesn't want to take the shots since he has a baby and knows it will knock down his immune system. and the baby may bring home sickness for him to catch.

help

Old 02-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #12
(female)

California Ann HB User

I have had psoriasis for 50+ years and tried everything. The only thing that really helps me is Clobex spray. They say you should only use it for 2 weeks and stop but that doesn't work for me. I use it for a couple of weeks, stop for a few days and get down to a couple of days a week. If I forget it starts to worsen again. I swear by the stuff. I use it "almost" everywhere on my body. I wish I could buy it by the gallon.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #13
(female)

nana b HB Usernana b HB Usernana b HB User

Where can I buy that spray?

Old 02-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #14
(female)

California Ann HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana b View Post
Where can I buy that spray?
You need a prescription. Then go on the internet to their web site and you can ******** a coupon so it only costs $25 a bottle. It lasts a long time and is well wort every penny. If you have a dermatologist they probably have samples too.
Ann

The Following User Says Thank You to California Ann For This Useful Post:
nana b (02-15-2013)
Closed Thread