It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Psoriasis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
(female)

ljf4744 HB User
Guttate Psoriasis

Son was diagnosed about 3 years ago with Severe Guttate Psoraisis. Dr. believed it was from Strep throat infection which son had between 2 wrist surgeries. The psoriasis spread very quickly and he was treated with Methotrexate. He lost 20 lbs while on the medication and had lots of stomach issues. Drug requires constant testing of the liver to be sure the drug is not affecting its function. The drug did clear it but it is very hard on his body. Later he had an outbreak again and this time we are using vitamin D3 2000 iu daily and it is working. We also purchased a narrowband UVB light and used it regularly. Pine tar soap has also helped scaling and soaking the scalp in Apple Cider Vinegar for 30 min then rinsing has helped the scalp. Former very thick scales are now reduced to what looks like a skin burn peeling. We are currently trying LIMU to see if it will help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
(female)

ljf4744 HB User
Re: Guttate Psoriasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago21 View Post
How old is your son? I have psoriasis and for years it was only plaque limited to about a dozen spots which I could control with topical meds. About 3 years ago it turned into guttate and covered over 60% of my body. Topicals were out of the question at that point so my derm doc put me on Enbrel. It took about 5 months for it to clear me up completely. I have been in remission for the first time in my life ever since. I have taken methotrexate unsuccessfully in the past for arthritis, but never for psoriasis(The toxicity scared me). Enbrel is a biologic med, so lowering your ability to fight an infection is the major side effect. There are other biologic meds out there, but I can only speak of my results with enbrel. It is an expensive treatment even with good insurance, but there are assistance programs out there to take advantage of(as I did). I only had to pay my copay of $30 a month.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
(female)

ljf4744 HB User
Re: Guttate Psoriasis

My son is 23. He was also covered about 60%. Face, arms, chest, back, neck and scalp. Seems like once a year he has a flare up and it also takes 5 or 6 mos. to clear up. We now have his face cleared and spots on back are improving. His stomach and chest are always the worst. We have been on the treatment I described above since August. Hoping for continued clearing....think flareups could be caused by stress. I have heard on enbrel but thought it had serious side effects. The methotrexate worked for him over time but the weight loss, nausea etc were not worth a second try.

Reply Reply