It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Psoriasis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2003, 03:23 PM   #1

adriannita HB User
Question sufferers of scalp psoriasis: what's your routine?

so tired of the periodic breakouts!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2003, 01:07 AM   #2
(female)

Ninnerz HB User
Unfortunately, I haven't found one single thing that will work for mine. I tried everything from Coal Tar Shampoo's to Head and Shoulders and stuff with Salicyclic (sp) Acid. Been through RX after RX with no real results. 2 years ago I was getting in shape for Navy Basic Training and I noticed that my scalp had cleared a lot. I don't know if it was because of the sweat ( I live in Phoenix and this was in the summer) or what. I still work out and sweat but this time it still won't go away. I have had this now for 10 years and I am only 20. I have arthritis because of the psoriasis which is what got me medically discharged. I wasn't even supposed to go into the military with this condition but the military doctor said he seen no evidence of the psoriasis and let me in. This was when it was in remission. I don't even know what a normal scalp looks like now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2003, 05:42 PM   #3
Inactive

NotGiving Up HB User
Hi! I was beginning to think I was all alone until I read your post! I have had psoriasis on my scalp for 16 years. It began when I was 10, and it was a very small area...about the size of a dime. Now, it's all over my scalp and itches constantly. I, too, have tried every prescription, every over the counter drug, shampoo, gel, liquid, and cream you can think of. I have even recently lost 50 pounds, since I heard losing weight "always" improves psoriasis. It hasn't improved mine. it's so embarrassing to have white flakes on my clothes all the time and it's REALLY embarrassing to go to a salon to have my hair done. I always feel like they're going to think I'm "dirty".
You said you have developed arthritis because of psoriasis? How does that happen? I have never heard of anything like this. Could you explain?
Thanks!

Old 07-27-2003, 10:07 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User
That type of arthritis is called psoriatic arthritis. I've had it for about 20 years. My psoriasis is in remission right now (hopefully permanent). I was going to a tanning salon and it cleared it up. And if I start to see signs of psoriasis I go tanning a few times. I don't know if this will work for you but you could give it a try. No medications, ointments, creams, pills, etc. ever helped my psoriasis. Good luck! I really understand what you're going through.

Old 07-29-2003, 11:42 AM   #5
(female)

SimpleSally HB User
I have scalp psoriasis since I was 10 (29 yrs now). I accidentally used selsun blue at 11 and discovered it kept it away as long as I continued to use it about 4xs per week. This was until I was 28. Then I moved to a town with extremely hard water, and the OTC Selsun blue would no longer work. I then began using the prescrition strength which I believe is 2 1/2% selenium sulfide lotion. This worked for the next ten years, but started to lose a little of its effect. I came to this board, and I tried the tee tree oil recomendations which did not work for me.
I then tried Sebulex Shampoo (available OTC), I suds my scalp up and let it sit there for a few minutes. This has worked for me. I also tried DHS Shampoo which has also worked for me. This is a great relief because I am in an HMO and for me to get the prescrition for my old Selsun, I had to see a primary, get a referral and then see a dermatoligists who wouldnt give me more than 5 refills (about 3 mos worth). That got to be expensive and time consuming. I hope this helps someone out there, I know how frustrating and painful this condition can be.

Sally

[This message has been edited by SimpleSally (edited 07-29-2003).]

Old 07-29-2003, 07:47 PM   #6
Inactive

NotGiving Up HB User
I'm so glad to hear these new suggestions. For the last few years I haven't been using anything on my scalp...i have just "accepted" that i will always have a terrible, ugly, ITCHY, FLAKY scalp. But I'm going to try some other shampoos. I have tried tanning beds in the past, and I had no change whatsoever.

Do you think that there are some cases of psoriasis that never respond to any type of treatment, and never goes away?

Old 07-31-2003, 10:57 AM   #7

mariee HB User
try about 10 drops of pure tea tree oil in your shampoo (10 drops for the entire bottle), or there is a prescription foam called luxiq i believe. i have had success with both of those things in the past.

Old 07-31-2003, 02:54 PM   #8

Christyus HB User
Try Neutrogena T-Gel. Works really good.

Old 08-01-2003, 06:56 PM   #9
(female)

SimpleSally HB User
The tea tree oil in the shampoo and the nuetregena did not work for me. But you should try everything because we all respond to different things. Just because something doesnt work for one person doesnt mean it wont work for you.

I thank my lucky stars I only have scalp psoriasis. I know some people who have disfuguring psoriasis and the stigma alone is enough to send you into a deep depression.

Good luck

Closed Thread