It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Psoriasis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2003, 07:27 AM   #16

LovelyLizz HB User
Thanks Michigan Girl. I will start using the sun more, however I live in Chicago and it is starting to get chilly (THANK GOD!) but I will take advantage of the sunlight for as long as I can. Its still really hard not to care what ppl think. I am 20 years old! I go to college! People who see this won't understand my condition and its not like I'm going to explain it to everyone I meet. I dont think I can handle ppl staring and whispering to each other. This may sound like childish worries - but this is the way life really is! No matter how old you are. My own bf of 2 years doesn't even know I have it, but thankfully he's been away w/ the Marine Corps during my outbreaks. And about the tanner, I CANNOT stop going! I just wanna remember what clear skin looks like! Once I get it, I'll stop... Anyway, I DO appreciate all your advice and thank you for sharing your story!

Dawnrise, I went 2 more times this week. So I think that makes about 5 or 6 times? How many sessions a week for how long did you go? How many sessions did it take for it to clear up??? I cant tell if its working. Well i know its not getting worse...

Old 10-10-2003, 07:31 AM   #17

LovelyLizz HB User
Dawnrise, Oh sorry, I scrolled up and saw that you had said it took you 20 sessions for it to clear up .. How many times a week were you going? How many min? I'm asking cuz I read on the tanning bed to only go once or twice a week. But I'm scared thats not enough to ATTACK the psoriasis. I wanna go everyday!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2003, 01:47 PM   #18
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User
LovelyLizz.....I went about 3 times a week. The amount of time tanning differed since I was working up to 20 minutes. Take your time with that. Wouldn't want you to burn. I know you're anxious to get rid of your psoriasis but have patience, dear. It's not going to go away overnight. I just hope it works for you like it did for me. Have you seen any improvement yet?

Old 10-10-2003, 02:06 PM   #19

quietly_serene HB User
Please don't go to a regular tanning salon. See your doctor, they have commercially available UV lamps that are specifically used in treating conditions like psoriasis. Your doc will write you a script for it. (At least in the US, you have to have one.) UV therapy is safer than tanning. I've been going for the past 9 months and it's made a difference for me. You won't tan (since it's a different kind of radiation) but it will most likely help. Although just like anything else regarding psoriasis, what works for me may not work for you.

Old 10-10-2003, 05:40 PM   #20

michigan girl HB User
lovelylizz,you do not sound childish at all and I totally understand your feelings,I felt the same way when I was your age.I still to this day do not feel attractive or sexy expecially when I am intamite with my husband,it has never bothered him but it sure does me.You realy need to sit your bf down and tell him about your condition,you wont be able to hide this from him for ever expecially if u2 ever get married.I know this may sound mean but any who reads this post would agree that if your bf can't except everything about you then he is not worth being with and if he can't theres always someone out there who will except you for what you look like and who you are.Good luck with the tanner and with your bf.

------------------
God bless you and yours

Old 10-14-2003, 09:37 PM   #21

LovelyLizz HB User
Michigan Girl, i'm not worried about him leaving me when he finds out, but i still feel embarassed by it... I'm coping with and managing it, and most of all have accepted it, but i still curse the day the first sign of it popped up on my skin! and i still ask myself, "why me?"... i'm sure you feel the same.

Dawnrise, I'm starting to see improvement! well my limbs mostly, its flattening and clearing up! I wish i can say the same for the rest of my body... I'm gettin pretty dark here.. and i had my tan asian skin to begin with.. This will sound stupid, but putting on sunscreen will defeat my purpose right?

Old 10-14-2003, 09:41 PM   #22

LovelyLizz HB User
QuietlySerene, yes, i did the UV treatment when i was a kid.. if the tanning doesnt work, i'll most likely go back to that, however my derm told me my case wasnt "that bad" to have to use it when i last saw him, but i beg to differ!!

Old 10-15-2003, 08:05 AM   #23

quietly_serene HB User
I don't know why your doc said that.. maybe you need to find a doctor that will listen to you? Or maybe check why he didn't send you to UV? I don't understand why he wouldn't do it, but he's gotta have a reason. If he's truly not paying attention to your requests, it may be time to look for another derm. I went though 5 before I even heard about UV, others just prescribed steroids.

Old 10-15-2003, 09:06 AM   #24
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User
The first lesions to clear up were the ones on my back. And it was almost completely covered. It took longer for the ones on my legs to clear up. Also, I have no idea if you use a sunscreen if it will defeat the purpose. But I've never used sunscreen in my life.

Old 10-19-2003, 07:34 PM   #25

elliebelle HB User
Hi. I am new to this site but I am a long time aquaintance of psoriasis! I too have psoriasis and have had since I was a child(I think I must have been born with it because I can remember always having it!) I am now 34. I have it everywhere and have tried all the treatments, tar soaks, steroidal creams, lotions, you name it! My very best success is with the tanning bed. When I go regularly my rash is not noticeable at all. I wanted to make sure you know to use a moisturizing lotion (I use cetaphil)after you tan. I have found that once I get it under control I can usually keep it at controlled somewhat with just the lotion. Has anyone else been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis as a result of thier psoriaisis??

Old 10-19-2003, 08:49 PM   #26

LovelyLizz HB User
Thanks and welcome EllieBelle! I haven't been applying lotion after my sessions, but if it'll help then I will. I've heard of Cetaphil, my derm had recommended it to me awhile back. Do you apply anything to the skin before going in? like medication or anything that helps it to go faster?

Dawnrise! I'm about at the same point i was the last time i responded.. It IS getting better but VERY VERY slowly.. AND im getting SO SO tan!! i have an appt w/ my derm this thursday. I will discuss w/ him if doing UV treatments is an option, QuietlySerene.

Old 10-20-2003, 11:25 AM   #27
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User
Elliebelle.....yes, I also have psoriatic arthritis.

LovelyLizz....glad to hear its going well. It'll take time.

Old 10-20-2003, 06:53 PM   #28

tomeboy147 HB User
I have a mild case of ps on my knees and elbows. I also have ps under my nails and have pa in my toes. My little toe swells and is sensitive to the touch.

Closed Thread