It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Psoriasis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2003, 11:23 PM   #1

LovelyLizz HB User
Post PSORIASIS and TANNING

Hey everyone,
I'm 20 years old now and have had this pesky psoriasis for 10 years.. It comes and goes, but lately I've been breaking out all over my body and scalp. It's horrible and I'm young and like to wear the cute outfits but now have to cover up my body! I used to do the ultra-violet treatments at the derm and those worked but were costly. I've been reading alot about the tanning beds. The only thing is i'm asian and have dark skin already. Do you still need to apply tanning lotion if your purpose isnt really to tan? Are there meds that you combine w/ the tanning? If anyone out there using tanning beds as psoriasis treatment reads this, can you share your routine? THANKS. hope to hear from someone.

Old 09-26-2003, 04:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
I don't go to the tanning salons anymore even though I don't have psoriasis - I don't go because I am 55 now, and don't want anymore wrinkles than I already have

I have heard, though, that tanning is good for psoriasis because of the UV rays. They are reduced in the tanning beds than the amount you get from the sun because tanning beds do not emit the UVB rays that can cause skin cancer. I wouldn't apply the tanning lotion if you go into the beds - you shouldn't need it for protection unless you use a sun blocker - but then I believe you would defeat your purpose.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2003, 10:38 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User
I've had psoriasis for quite a few years and no kind of medication, ointments, etc. helped. I ended up going to a tanning salon (to get a tan) and ended up clearing up my psoriasis. I've been in remission for over 2 years now. Now I only go tanning when I see the psoriasis start to flare up. But even that is becoming more rare. I never used any tanning lotion even though I know you should. But that's just my way of doing things. I also take meds for another condition and it hasn't affected the tanning/psoriasis treatment.

[This message has been edited by Dawnrise (edited 09-26-2003).]

Old 09-26-2003, 09:02 PM   #4

LovelyLizz HB User
thanks for the reply guys! i know that tanning is not good for your skin but i figure i'd take clear skin any day no matter what the consequence. unless you have psoriasis you wont know what it really feels like ... anyway, so ultimately its ok to go into the bed w/out applying anything to the skin? dry tanning, i think they call it...

Old 09-28-2003, 09:19 PM   #5

BennaGayle HB User
Be careful not to get a sunburn. It will make the psoraisis worse.

Old 09-28-2003, 09:31 PM   #6

LovelyLizz HB User
Ahhh! how do i avoid getting sunburn? a sunblock would defeat the purpose right? should i just go for really short amounts of time at a time? help..

Old 09-29-2003, 02:22 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User
If you go outside do not go out between the hours of 2pm and 4pm (I think) cuz that's when the sun's rays are the strongest. If you go to a tanning salon they should start you off with short sessions. My first session was only 5 minutes. They will eventually work up to 20 minutes.

Old 09-29-2003, 11:16 PM   #8

LovelyLizz HB User
Thanks for all your help guys and especially Dawnrise. If you check back to this, Exactly how many tanning sessions did it take for you to start noticing improvement? Did it clear it up completely or just control it a little? Sorry if I'm being a pain w/ all these questions ...

Old 09-30-2003, 02:11 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User
The first time I went tanning I only went a few sessions and it only partially cleared it up. Then, maybe, 3-4 years went by and I started going again and it was probably less than 20 sessions and it was cleared up completely. So now I only go when I start to see it show its ugly little face.

Old 09-30-2003, 08:23 AM   #10

LovelyLizz HB User
Thanks Dawn. I started going tanning yesterday. I was in for only about 10min and I plan to go every other day until this sucker is cleared up.. Well hopefully it works at all. Wish me luck!

Old 09-30-2003, 03:02 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User
I wish you the best of luck and hope it works for you like it did for me.

Old 10-02-2003, 01:39 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User
LovelyLizz....I know its only been a couple days since you started going tanning but I was just wondering how you're doing. I know you probably don't see any difference yet but would like to hear about your progress.

Old 10-02-2003, 02:21 PM   #13

LovelyLizz HB User
Hey Dawn.. I've already gone twice at 10min each.. I'm going again tonight. The psoriasis seems to be drying up a bit so I moisturize more, but other than that no significant changes or improvements yet, but i'm still hopeful! I'll keep u up to date on the progress

Old 10-08-2003, 01:41 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User
LovelyLizz....how are your sessions going? Hope you're improving. Give us an update.

Old 10-08-2003, 08:08 PM   #15

michigan girl HB User
Hello lovelylizz,I have had psoriasis since I was 17yrs old I am now 33yrs old.I know how you feel about wanting to cover up your body,I have a sever case of it so bad I have been hopitalized 3 times for it.For the first 5 years I had it I would wear pants all summer long no matter how hot it got,I wouldn't go swimming at the local man made swimming hole in fear parents would snatch their kids out of the water worried I had something their kids could catch and afraid people would laugh and point at me.I used to watch my friends and husband play out in the water as I sat on the beach and cried inside wishing I didn't have it.After 5 years of hiding my legs and arms and suffering in the heat and missing out on so much,I finally saide to myself why am I hiding my skin,why am I suffering in the extrem heat and missing out on so much fun?It was becuz I was afraid of people laughing at me or what people would say.I no longer hide my skin and no longer miss out on any fun.Hon please don't hide your skin,the more sun you get to your skin the better for your psoriasis.If you are worried about what people think or what they will say don't worry about them,they don't live with this condition on a daily basis like we do and we need to feel confortable in what we wear.I was told by my derm doc that our psoriasis are like open wounds and we should never go swimming any where other than a pool with chlorine.Please be carefull using the tanner,my derm doc told me NOT to go to the tanner becuz using the tanner could cause skin cancer,so now I use the sun as much as I can.Even on over cast days we still get 60% of the uv rays.I hope my post has help you and hopefully some day they will find a cure for us.

------------------
God bless you and yours

Closed Thread