It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Psoriasis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2003, 11:06 AM   #1

quietly_serene HB User
Post Crazy Psoriasis Hear-Say

When you have a condition like psoriasis when the doctor visits and the medications they prescribe can prove to be really expensive, people tend to recommend and try things that aren't usually meant for psoriasis. In this article, I'd like to mention some of the crazy things that I've tried that aren't meant for psoriasis but may or may not work. If you decide to try some of these, please know that you're doing that at your own risk. If you have some crazy ideas of your own to contribute, please do so.

Deodorant
On a psoriasis oriented site I read a personal account of a woman who put on cream deodorant on her P lesions by accident and found that they were clearing up. In her case it was Tussy brand of deodorant in a little cream jar. I've foun this in dollar stores and tried it. It didn't do anything for me, but boy did I smell nice all the time.

Mouthwash
This was recommended to me by a hair stylist at during a very painful and itchy evening, I decided to try it. She recommended Listerine blue over others. It helped with the itching, but it burned since mouthwash is 20% alcohol (at least Listerine is). I did this for a while when my scalp P was so bad - I'd wash my hair with plain shampoo and then soak it with 2 capfuls of Listerine for 5 minutes and then wash with tar shampoo. I find that this works as well as a salicylic acid shampoo in removing flakes, but helps the itch. Be ware if you have a place on your head that's an open wound, this will burn a lot!

A&D Ointment
This is meant as a diaper rash cream. It has cod liver oil in it and some menthol stuff to make it smell better. It didn't smell really bad to me or anything, but my husband doesn't like the smell at all. I found this worked as well as Vaseline on P lesions - it would make them soft so that you can peel the skin off the top easily. This is a good thing to do before a UV treatment, because you want to expose as much of the new skin as possible. I still use this occasionally, but it is messy to use.

Desitin
This is the zinc kind of diaper rash ointment. It is very hard to get off your skin. I was annoyed at that and stopped using it soon after I began. The mess on my clothes wasn't worth it. Maybe I'll go back and try it but not for a while.

Toothpaste
People recommend this for pimples (leave it overnight to dry) but I found that it dried skin even more. It does nothing for P except maybe make it worse because of the drying.

Tape
Here I'm referring to regular tape you use to tape a box before you ship it. The theory is that when you put one piece on a psoriasis spot, it gets moist and warm underneath and the spot gets better. I tried this on some stubborn spots, and it helped make them soft but it did nothing to make them go away. Saran wrap works on this same principle but I never tried that. Sleeping wrapped in plastic doesn't appeal to me at all.

Oatmeal Baths
This is where you take some oatmeal and you grind it in your blender and you put that in your bath and sit in it. I find the whole bathing experience kind of stressful so I hated this. Oatmeal did nothing to help me, but I know of people that swear by it.

Ok, that's about all the crazy things that I can think of for the moment. If I think of something else, I'll let you know.

~serena

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2003, 09:15 PM   #2

quietly_serene HB User
I remembered another thing:

Sea Breeze
it's that toner that teenage girls put on their faces. It contains salicylic acid so it works pretty much like T-Sal shampoo - removed scales. Only problem: burns if you have open wounds on your scalp.

Old 10-28-2003, 10:14 AM   #3

quietly_serene HB User
Here's another thing:

Zinc
There's a flyer floating out there where this guy, if you send him some money will send you instructions for 'curing psoriasis'. Don't fall for this - he just recommends that you take large doses of zinc (50 to 100mgs, I think). And while for some people this will help for most people it just makes you feel sick to your stomach. Nausea is a known symptom of zinc overdose. As I've said before, each person has different triggers for psoriasis and for some people zinc blocks the triggers so they don't get lesions again. I tried zinc supplements (but a regular dose) and I never got much better and my stomach was upset all the time. Not good.

Old 11-15-2003, 09:46 PM   #4

imatestwentbad HB User
My eyes are tearing up just thinking of put mouthwash (OUCH!!!) on my psoriasis. OMG sniff

Old 11-17-2003, 08:01 AM   #5

quietly_serene HB User
It didn't hurt me that much actually, but I'm pretty good about not scratching so much that I bleed. I can see how much it can suck if you've got open sores and stuff. It can also depend on what kind of psoriasis you have. But my hair did smell minty fresh! Something about the Listerine wintergreen smell would never wash out of my hair.

Last edited by quietly_serene; 11-17-2003 at 08:06 AM.

Closed Thread