It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rape / Sexual Abuse Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2004, 01:04 PM   #1

fleetsgirl06 HB User
Question statutory rape & age of consent questions

Hi everyone! I'm just needing some questions answered. Ok so I'm 16 and will be 17 in August and my boyfriend is 19 and will be 20 in October. I recently got pregnant in March and my dad is threatening to put my bf in prison for statutory rape. I'm from AL and the age of consent here is 16. My question is even though I'm 16 and was willing to have sex with my bf, can my dad still have my bf put in jail because he's not a minor and I am a minor. If you can help PLEASE respond to this message. Thanks so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2004, 02:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User
Re: statutory rape & age of consent questions

If the legal age in your state is 16--there is nothing your dad can do--except threaten you--in my state, the legal age is 16--and i was with a much older guy---my parents tried to press charges against the guy, but with my being 16--there was nothing they could do. but had you been 15--yes he could have presses charged----and if he were to find out that you had sex with him when you were 15 (just saying that if you did)--even though you are almost 17 now--your dad could still have charges brought against him---but he has to be told, and has to have proof--so if this be the case---do not tell him or anyone else---or have anything lying around to where your father could find it. but to be 100% certain of this, you can call your local law enforcement about this issue and they can tell you what the law is exactly---because there may be some kind of stipulation to the laws there, that we dont have. (I am in NC). Such as 16 being legal age, but person no older than 18 can touch a 16 year old. So, its better to call someone in your town that can tell you exactly what the laws are.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2004, 02:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

According the the stuff I read your bf can indeed get in trouble ifyou father does press charges. You see you are 16 and able to consent but arent able to consent since your bf is over the age of 18. If your bf was under the age of 18 then your father couldnt do anything. But considering your bf's age he can have him arrested. Your bf faces life as a sex offender now if charges are pressed against him. That means no matter where he lives he has to register with the county he lives in so that others will know a sex offender lives in their area. He can face time in prison as well and very strict rules after he gets out. Such as not being able to contact you or be near your child. Or like one guy I know he isnt allowed to be alone with any child no matter the time frame. That even includes his own children.
You can try talking to your dad and explain that with your bf in prison you wont have anyone to pay child support for the child. And see if that will get him to not press charges against him.

Lady,you forget some states do have laws set up that protect even those who are of age to consent. Most range between the older person being over 2 to 4 yrs older than the minor.
Also since she is pregnant that is all the proof her father needs. A simple dna test will provide any other proof he might need.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Last edited by Blastoff9600; 06-22-2004 at 02:50 PM.

Old 06-22-2004, 02:50 PM   #4

Passion4BskBall HB User

how do you find out what the age of consent is in your state. I live in arizona.. i would like to know some of the consent laws how do i go about finding that out?

Old 06-22-2004, 04:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

i didnt forget....thats why i said she still needed to check further, to make sure that there isnt a stipulation to the law there, that doesnt apply here. As far as the proof that I was talking about--I was saying that IF she was sexually active with this guy BEFORE she turned 16, her father would have to prove it. Of course if she is pregnant now, there is proof--but she is almost 17--I was talking prior to turning 16.

Old 06-22-2004, 04:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well since her state does have the stipulation then her bf can get in trouble and it isnt minor trouble either.

As for finding out one's consent laws you can either look online,your state's website or call a local lawyer and see what he/she has to say.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 06-22-2004, 05:02 PM   #7

so_confuzzled HB User

Oh my what a big jumble of mess.. Yes he can get introuble.. Thats the sad part about this. How does your dad feel about you being pregnant anyways? Omgosh i dunno how you do this pregnancy scares the crap out of me. I hope everything goes ok and your dad doesn't press charges. But yes he can get in trouble, just trying explaining things to your dad. I can tell he cares but it was your decision not his. -chrystal

Old 06-24-2004, 10:08 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Your dad is probably pretty mad right now, but if he has any sense, he'll realize that it is not in your or your child's best interest to have the baby's father put in jail. If your bf is being a stand up kind of guy, it will make a big difference in your dad's attitude. I hope he's being a good guy for your sake. Good luck to you.

Old 06-26-2004, 09:27 PM   #9

johnkerry4prez HB User

are you guys sure? If the consent age is 16...then isn't that all she has to worry about? In Ohio i think it's 16...and once your 16 you don't have to worry about anything

Old 06-26-2004, 09:36 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

John,all states are different. Yes Ohio has it set up that if one is 16 they can consent to sex and not worry about sub laws of set number of years of seperation in ages.
Fleet,on the other hand lives in a state in which there are sub laws for set years apart from the consenting age.
It is just depends on one's state and you just happen to live in one that doesnt have as strict of laws when it comes to consenting to sex.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Last edited by Blastoff9600; 06-26-2004 at 09:37 PM.

Closed Thread