It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rape / Sexual Abuse Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2005, 10:05 AM   #1
(female)

LoveAthena HB User
HIV/Rape

Ok well I went to my dr. today to get an HIV test and will get my results Friday... I was raped last october and since then I have been freaking out that I am HIV positive. I know no one can diagnois me.. but does rape add an extra risk of catching the virus? Have you heard of many people getting the virus through rape? Not to be graphic- but he didn't ejaculate into me just outside of me near my gent. I am just having trouble assesing the siutation. I always had protected sex everytime before that. I am just really worried and depressed about it... I don't have a very good support system at home and I guess I just want a little hope. Any tips, advice, prayers?
Thanks

Old 08-16-2005, 10:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SPECTACULAR HB User
Re: HIV/Rape

I'm not sure about the stats of transmission via rape...but, please know that you are in my prayers. I'm sorry you went through something so horrible.

God bless!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2005, 11:09 AM   #3
(female)

its2late2dream HB User

im not good with advice but you have my prayers. i do understand about the support issue, and you definately found the right place for that. your in my thought s and prayes barb

Old 08-16-2005, 11:23 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

damaris121598 HB User

I'm sorry such a horrible experience happened to you. if he didn't ejaculate inside you there is minimal chance that you got HIV. You did the right thing by checking yourself. You are in my good wishes and prayers. Try to get a support group to talk about what happened to you. Best of luck.

Old 08-16-2005, 12:49 PM   #5
(female)

LoveAthena HB User

Thank you all for your responses... I really do apperciate it. So does not being internally exposed to a fluid that carries HIV.. I think there was external exposure but not a lot. I am just worrying myself to death thinking about the logistics... I mean even if he was HIV positive which I don't know if he is or not but the cops said he wasn't in a "high risk" group whatever that means, it doesn't mean I automatically get the virus after one short exposure? right?

Old 08-16-2005, 12:56 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

last1 HB User

Dear Athena: I'm not sure that there is data to support either position - that HIV contracted through rape is higher or lower than other encounters. Because rape is a violent crime, there can be expected to be more trauma to the vaginal vault which may increase the chance, if there is ejaculation within the vault, of the transmission to be completed. In other words, with rape, there is going to be more tearing of the intersticial lining of the vagina and thus, through the tears, semen can enter the circulatory system. The important thing is that there was not ejaculation inside you. This is not to diminish the horrible experience you underwent.

If there is an increase in the number of people contracting the virus through rape,it may be because the rapist, generally, is indiscriminant in their partners, do not practise safe-sex, and are violent people. Thus, this may increase the chances. If the rapist is HIV negative then, even with the rape, there is no chance of contracting the virus. It is ony if the perpetrator is HIV + and that person ejaculated within you is there a chance of you becoming HIV +.

You've done the right thing by being tested. Bless you and your courage.

Old 08-16-2005, 01:12 PM   #7
(female)

LoveAthena HB User

I am just confused.. I didn't get tested for awhile because the sexual assault woman at my university said that there was basically no chance of getting HIV from being raped because of it being one encounter and being healthy helps not getting the virus. She said that she had not heard of someone catching the virus from being raped.. But was that bad advice? Was she was just trying to make me feel better? I mean it wasn't a violent rape.. I was drugged and my rape kit didn't find fluids inside me just some trace of fluids outside. So I don't really know if it was violent or not.. ugh like I would settle for any other STD... I could deal with syphallis or whatever. I know I can't move on from this if I didn't get tested. But after I went throught this year... what if I am postive? I can't deal with knowing I am going to die in a couple years.

Old 08-16-2005, 01:42 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

angel4u HB User

My Dear Athena; I am assuming this person is now rotting in jail or was arrested for the violation? It would only make good sense that if this person was caught he would have been tested. You said the police said he was not high risk, I do not think they can disclose when a person is negative but in crime they can if he is positive. It is really good that you were tested anyway just to be on the safe side. I would suggest though that you find a rape survivor group to go and talk out your feelings, it is hard to get over this alone or if not over at least able to deal with.

To Cflas: you crack me up with your, "vaults and interstitial spaces" lol. At least you gave me a chuckle but I wonder what other readers where thinking? Just teasing ya love your answers........

Old 08-16-2005, 01:45 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

angel4u HB User

Ps: Athena we are all going to die at some point in our life, but not from hiv. Stop worrying and go find a group to talk this out with...........

Old 08-16-2005, 02:04 PM   #10
(female)

LoveAthena HB User

Ok obviously if I keep thinking about this for the next couple of days I will go insane. On this board it said one exposure with a HIV postive person was a 1/500 of contracting HIV right? And who knows if he was HIV positive or not... I should chill out.. I guess I don't have any control over this situation now anyways

Old 08-16-2005, 03:18 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

last1 HB User

Well, you do have control and I think you have taken it - you have come here, you are asking pertinent and important questions, you have a sense of yourself and all of that demonstrates a person who is gaining control.

I think the woman at you Health Center was trying to keep you calm but I don't want you leaving here with erroneous information. The fact is that, under the right conditions, unprotected sex with internal ejaculation with a person who is HIV + can infect you. That is why everyone is telling us to be safe and practice safe-sex. Your healthiness does not prevent you from getting HIV if you are sexually intimate with the sharing of body fluids with a person who is HIV +.

Also, it has been proven that one time is sufficient to contract the disease.

Take care of yourself as you have been.

Angel: about the "vaults and intesticial spaces" - I guess its just the medical stuff. Glad it made you laugh! It is true and all of my friends will concur that sometimes I am very much fluffed-up with myself. chris

Old 08-17-2005, 09:38 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

panaSONIQUE HB User

Athena-
If you have full unprotected sex with someone who is HIV+, then you have a 1/500 chance of catching HIV according to statistics. Although this is a high number, it can take one act of unprotected sexual intercourse to become infected, or you may never become infected. HOwever, that 1/500 goes to show you that HIV is not as easy to transmit as gonorreha or chlamydia. The virus needs certain conditions to thrive, and if you have intercourse once, as long as those conditions are there, you'll become infected.
But, the reality is,it most likely won't happen. You've gotten the courage to do what most women dont, so I think that right there shows how truly special you are. Even if you did test positive, you are a strong woman, and I don't think anything can bring you down. Keep your chin up, and keep us posted.
-Sarah

Old 08-17-2005, 03:32 PM   #13
(female)

LoveAthena HB User

What do you by certain conditions? And I don't understand: "Then you have a 1/500 chance of catching HIV according to statistics. Although this is a high number, it can take one act of unprotected sexual intercourse to become infected, or you may never become infected. "
Also I took antibotics after the fact- maybe 5 hrs afterwards at the hospital.. would that of helped kill the virus or slow it down.. or?? God I am so confused and I still have to wait. I am really scared

Old 08-17-2005, 04:58 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

panaSONIQUE HB User

Statistics,raw data states that every act of unprotected sexual intercourse with someone who is infected with HIV can carry a risk of roughly 1/500. However, statistics dont take into account reality. I just stated this fact b.c you said you wanted stats, and also because it shows that HIV is not as easy to get as any other STD. However, if one were to look at statistics, they may be mislead into thinking that they can have unprotected sex 500 times in with an HIV positive person before becoming infected which is a poisonous thought. Certain conditions include tempurature, viral load of the other person,condition of your canal etc etc.
In a nutshell, the odds are in your favor because a)you dont know if hes hiV+ or not, which means that theres a 50/50 shot just there, and b) because it was only once,its considered less of a risk then someone who has unprotected sex, multiple times, with someone whos infected with ejaculation. The odds are in your favor. Sorry about the confusion hun,

Old 08-18-2005, 09:34 AM   #15
(female)

LoveAthena HB User

Good news! I am HIV negative! Thank you all for your support.. It has been a pretty scary couple of days. God bless you all for your kindness and strength

Closed Thread