It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rape / Sexual Abuse Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
(female)

millersong HB User
Sexual Abuse/ Rape and OBGYN

I was sexually abused as a child. It lasted for 5 years, and most of it was pretty violent as well. As you probably can guess, it has shaped a lot of my life. I never went to an OB/GYN until I was 34 years old and pregnant with my first child. Because we were trying for a "normal" delivery, my husband, who went to most of my office visits with me, told my OB about the abuse. She was very understanding, and when the induction was taking too long and I was in severe pain, she opted for a C-section. After the birth of my child, I never went back to the OB. This past year (4 years later), I got pregnant again. Since I knew a C-section was going to be how my 2nd child was born and since my husband could not go to any of my appointments, I did not tell anyone about my past. At this new place that I go, people see different doctors and midwives throughout their pregnancies. I met the doctor who delivered my baby only once before the operation, and then I saw two different doctors in the hospital for postnatal care. Now I have my 6 week check-up, and I am terrified!!! I have never been to the OB/GYN except when I have been pregnant. I am not saying that the visits were easy; they weren't, but I could get through them. Now, I am having panic attacks just thinking about going. I am scheduled to see a different doctor. I know that I am going to panic, so how do I tell her about my past? Is she going to believe me when I obviously made it through 9 months of visits? I know that I need to tell her because I will freak out. I need a plan of how to tell her, of what to say. This might make it easier in my mind. Any suggestions? Please help!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: millersong
cryingforever (12-14-2010), writeleft (12-13-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2010, 02:22 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Sexual Abuse/ Rape and OBGYN

I am terribly sorry for all you have gone through in your past. Your anxiety about ob visits is completely understandable and I understand how difficult this is for you.

I would certainly let the doctor that is going to be examining you know of your past, and I would encourage you to share this information with her. It is not necessary to go into any detail.

I would ask that the information goes into your chart, so that anyone who cares for you will be aware and take the special care of you that you need.

As far as how to tell her and what to say, I would just leave it simple and to the point. Thank goodness that there has been a new awareness of the devastation sexual abuse causes those who have suffered at the hands of an abuser, and have the knowledge and training to treat you very sensitively.

Perhaps you have a friend that can join you, and support you at the visit.

I also imagine it may be possible for the doctor to administer a little medication to take before your visit to calm your nerves and keep your anxiety at bay. You could certainly request this in advance, and this could help greatly. I know many doctors do this for fearful patients, and it never hurts to ask.

I wish you all the best, please let us know how this works out for you.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:41 AM   #3
(female)

misty073 HB User

I too am sorry about your past (((hugs)))

I was also abused as a child for about 13 years (never violently) and I would suggest councelling. I went for a year about 12 years ago and I am currently going to be starting again to deal with my anxiety.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

cryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB User

could you write a note to her? or does it have to be a conversation?

Last edited by cryingforever; 12-14-2010 at 03:40 PM. Reason: adding extra words

Old 12-15-2010, 04:39 AM   #5
(female)

millersong HB User

I guess it does not matter if the information is given in a note or a conversation. I tried a note once with my first child but could not hand it to her.

Last edited by millersong; 12-15-2010 at 04:40 AM. Reason: adding another sentence

Closed Thread