It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rape / Sexual Abuse Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 05:01 AM   #1
(female)

janedoe512 HB User
weird physical problems showing up while trying to process emotional effect of rape

ok, this is super embarassing to post, but I feel like a freak.

I have been processing being raped, and processing it a little bit, sort on my own, and trying to get counseling help (but my insurance is being terrible and the counselor I was working with moved away just as we began to talk about this).

I have started to have um... well... I keep waking up having wet the bed. My time of the month is also very very abnormal. I fin***y told my primary care doctor, and he already knew I had PTSD, but not from what and it is more than just the rape). His first question in response to my embarassing nocturnal bladder probelms and abnormal periods was to ask if I have been raped. I stared at the floor and blurted out yes.

He gave me a refferal to get checked out further medic***y, and also is helping me find a counselor too. I am *freaked out* about seeing a doctor about any of this, or a counselor.

I feel like a freak. Has anyone ever expereinced anything like this? COuld this re***y be related to the rape? somekind of psychological / somatic way my body is freaking out?

sorry if this is super disgusting to post about.

jane

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: janedoe512
Desai Diamond (10-27-2012), Phoenix (11-19-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: weird physical problems showing up while trying to process emotional effect of ra

I have heard of this, and so too had the doctor, from his reaction. Bedwetting is very distressing, but don't make yourself out to be a freak or disgusting because of it. As you process the rape and other stuff (hopefully with therapy of some sort), this will disappear. Can you find a rape-support group in your city? if you check out hospitals, police services, they may have advertisements about this. You need, I feel, to be in contact with other people who are going through what you are. You will not feel so isolated and freakish. Best wishes, Sera.

The following user gives a hug of support to Seraph:
Phoenix (11-19-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
(female)

yrsofpainsucks HB Useryrsofpainsucks HB Useryrsofpainsucks HB User
Re: weird physical problems showing up while trying to process emotional effect of ra

You are not a freak. I was raped when I was 14 and started wetting the bed. this is how my mom found out. I wouldnt tell her and she thought it was kidney problems. I am now an adult and feel bad about the money she spent on dr's that couldnt figure out why. urologist sent me to gyno-and being a virgin before the rape it was obvious I was no longer. so long story short mom found out. This is a very tramatizing thing that happened and your mind can effect many other parts of the body including but not limited to bed wetting and irregular periods. Any kind of stress can throw off a womans cycle. I procecced and delt with 90% of this on my own. I was resistant to my phsyc dr's and would talk about it to no one. I am now almost 30 and have delt with a lot of it but not easily. I hope that you can find the support, help and love that you need. And we are always here as well.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
(female)

casper77 HB User

This is very normal. I remember hearing that bed wetting after children are potty trained is often a tail tell symptom of abuse... I realize your not a child, but that doesn't make it, they use that for kids because they can't describe the trauma, that doesn't mean it doesn't occure in adults also. Don't feel like a freak its very natural even if it doesn't feel like it. I hope things get better with time. My prayers go out to you.

Reply Reply