It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rare Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2004, 05:55 PM   #1

HealthBdMember HB User
Question Chronic Back Itch?

For a long time now I've been having a very itchy back. Actually, it's one spot on my back - under my right shoulder blade. I scratch it and it still itches, because it feels like it deep under my skin. Along with the itch, it sometimes slightly feels similar to a sunburn, too. And it seems like I feel it more when I take my shirt off.

I've looked in the mirror a few times and I've never seen anything wrong with my skin; no rashes, dry skin, or break-out of any kind. So what could be causing the itchiness? Since I can't get rid of it by scratching, could it possibly not be my skin, but perhaps nerves instead (though I don't feel nervous often)? (I once poured hot wax on it, but that didn't help, lol.)

P.S. I don't take any medication and I'm healthy otherwise.

Last edited by HealthBdMember; 07-18-2004 at 06:03 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to HealthBdMember For This Useful Post:
hummingbird33 (06-30-2012)
Old 07-18-2004, 11:43 PM   #2

kovena HB User
Lightbulb Re: Chronic Back Itch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthBdMember
For a long time now I've been having a very itchy back. Actually, it's one spot on my back - under my right shoulder blade. I scratch it and it still itches, because it feels like it deep under my skin. Along with the itch, it sometimes slightly feels similar to a sunburn, too. And it seems like I feel it more when I take my shirt off.

I've looked in the mirror a few times and I've never seen anything wrong with my skin; no rashes, dry skin, or break-out of any kind. So what could be causing the itchiness? Since I can't get rid of it by scratching, could it possibly not be my skin, but perhaps nerves instead (though I don't feel nervous often)? (I once poured hot wax on it, but that didn't help, lol.)

P.S. I don't take any medication and I'm healthy otherwise.
I am not sure what causes it but I too have chronic back itch. And since my shoulders have gotten so bad I cannot reach my arm around to scratch it, and can't even lift my arms to hold the back scratcher for it.. I have been found crying like a baby when Ross gets home from work, part from frustration and part from not being able to scratch the itch that got so bad I couldnt stand it. Ross scratched it finally and my legs actually gave way because it felt so good and relieved. My legs actually gave way WOW that is one bad itch. I have since used the lidoderm patch on it and it seems to work until I get a rash from it if I forget to have Ross take it off in time. I cannot reach around there to do it. What a downright helpless feeling.
I hope that you find out what is causing yours...I really do not know what causes mine except that I have Fibro and that may have something to do with it.
Heres wishing you some non itchy days and relief from the pain of the itch.
"Above All do No Harm" Love and Healing light to All of You...kovena

The Following User Says Thank You to kovena For This Useful Post:
hummingbird33 (06-30-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2004, 08:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User
Re: Chronic Back Itch?

My husband and son do that when they are allergic to something.......like meds or food

Old 07-24-2004, 08:02 PM   #4

bbear HB User
Talking Re: Chronic Back Itch?

Wow...no kidding I have the exact same thing! I read your post and ..I was like that is me! For a couple of mo's now....under my right shoulder blade.....it itches a lot.....like a bug bite...but yet nothing there....I've tried Hydrocortisone cream with no luck......and I'm on the verge of going to a Dermotologist.......I'm lost too...please let me know if you find out what is causing your itch......Thanks Tracy....
P.S..I'll let you know what is causing mine as well if I find out!

Old 08-01-2004, 04:25 PM   #5

HealthBdMember HB User

Wow, under your right shoulder blade, too. This is so bizarre.

I'm starting to wonder now if it could even possibly be a muscle that itches, because sometimes while I'm washing dishes my upper back gets sore, like it's stressed. So I wonder when my muscles start getting better if they itch just like when skin heals (i.e., scab).

Also, it doesn't itch constantly. When it's not itchy, it feels like a little irritation, like a slight abrasion or something like that (maybe even like a bee ******* under my skin, but not painful...if that makes sense).

Thanks for replying and please let me know when you find out what is causing your itch. I will let you what is causing mine if I ever find out. Good luck with getting rid of yours.

Edit note: "s-t-i-n-g-e-r" was censored, though I have no idea why.

Last edited by HealthBdMember; 08-01-2004 at 04:29 PM.

Old 08-20-2004, 05:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

The itching and pain type that you described all sound like it is nerve related.I have this in a much larger surface area caused by nerve damage during spinal cord surgery.It is possible that you could have a herniation of a disc in the lower c-spine or upper T-spine.That is the area that is innervated where your symptoms are.it really sucks, i know.I have that maddening itch and horrid second degree burn type burning pain down one entire arm and across both shoulder blades.Let me just say eeeooowwwccchh!!i would check into this with your doc.If you are having this type of pain,it could be an indication of a much bigger problem.Good luck,marcia

Closed Thread