It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rare Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2005, 05:09 PM   #1
(female)

lindy2 HB User
burning tongue

Has anyone else had this disorder? burning sensation on tongue. Tongue looks normal but feels like scalded with something hot. I did not eat or drink anything hot. Had it for about 1and1/2 weeks, went away and came back for a day. Now it's gone again. Can anyone tell me what would cause this?

Old 01-14-2006, 01:13 PM   #2
(female)

west1670 HB User
Re: burning tongue

Hi

Do you get tummy troubles as well? I read in a nutrition book that a burning tongue can be a sign of the stomach lacking in gastric digestive juices.

It recommended the following:-

*Teaspoon of swedish bitters daily
*Cup of dandelion tea twice a day
*Teaspoon of apple cider vinegar before each meal
*HCL (hydrochloric acid) tablets

Hope this helps

X

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2006, 02:09 PM   #3
(female)

macaroni HB User

Lindy2,

I'm certainly no expert, but in trying to track down some neurological issues that I've been having, I've run across lots of information on B-12 deficiency...burning tongue is one of the symptoms. West1670 is on the right track, because a B-12 deficiency can be caused by not having proper stomach acids to process the vitamin. People who have celiac disease (also called pernicious anemia...these folks have a gluten intolerance) often have issues with low B-12 because they lack the "intrinsic factor" that breaks down gluten, as well as B-12. If you've had any kind of intestinal issues, especially problems with wheat, I would definitely look into your B-12 levels. Low B-12 can cause all sorts of problems, in case you've been suffering from anything else. Good luck to you!

Old 03-02-2006, 08:37 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

penybobeny HB User

Could be thrush, especially if you have recently been on a course of antibiotics.

If it is thrush you could try treating it at home by getting some active culture yogurt smoothies, just swish it in your mouth (gargle) for about 30 to 40 seconds three times a day and get a new toothbrush as soon as the burning stops.

As you can see, there are many many reasons for a burning tongue...

peny

Old 05-04-2006, 01:33 PM   #5
(male)

de49152 HB User

I've come to believe that my burning tongue is a result from my jaw clenching habit. It seems to irritate the lingual (lower jaw) nerves, causing the numb/burned sensations. Anyone else notice this?

Closed Thread