It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rare Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2006, 03:43 AM   #1
(female)

Pyloricstenosis HB User
Pyloric Stenosis in Adults

I'm 22 yrs old and for the most part I have had a very healthy and happy life until this past January where I started having what I call the "rotten egg burps." I went to my primary care dr. and was diagnosed with having ulcer like symptoms and I was put on prevacid. Shortly after in early march I started throwing up after eating. To make a long story short I went to the gastro dr. and convinced that I was having ulcer problems he told me throwing up was normal and I got sick every day for three months dropping 30lbs. I was hospitalized for dehydration after passing out where after several tests it was determined that I had a gastric outlet obstruction. I had about six endoscopes with dilatations that proved unsuccessful and the burping came back almost instantly. I decided to have a second opinion done and found that after about six more dilatations I bled internally and the talk of surgery began. The prognosis was pyloric stenosis which apparently is very common in children but almost unheard of in adults. The drs. felt that I could possibly have annular pancreas after doing an MRI and scheduled an exploratory surgery that would take care of whatever was going on. I don't have annular pancreas. I have pyloric stenosis and no cause for it. The first surgeon I talked to said no to surgery unless I had gone to Boston or New York to have studies done on me because I am so rare, and yet the surgen at the same hospital went ahead and did it anyway. I had a pyloraplasty and the side effects are dumping syndrome and I guess sometimes anemia. The procedure could have been done laproscopically but because they had intended it to be annular pancreas they cut me from under my rib cage to below my belly button. I don't mind the scar although it upsets me that further tests were not done to know for sure and lessen the area affected with scars. I don't have the burps but I still have an awful taste in my mouth from something that is unexplainable. I was also told in passing that they detected H-Pylori in me at one time or another but all byopsis were negative for chrones and cancer. Its been two weeks since the surgey and I'm on an emotional roller coaster. I'm angry that I have something this rare that no one knows what to do I feel like I'm the experimental patient and honestly that's what I am. I don't really know what I am trying to get out of this post but I guess at this point anything will help.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pyloricstenosis For This Useful Post:
Mohammed Tag (03-10-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2006, 06:35 PM   #2
(male)

jeff007 HB User
Re: Pyloric Stenosis in Adults

I can completly understand what you are saying about your problem. I am 28 years old and i have pyloric stenosis but was diagnosed with it when i was 6 weeks old. My doctor said that i was to stay away from spicey foods and contact sports but the stuborn person that I am figured everything would be fine. I decided to go away for the weekend and had soup with some hot peppers my friend grows and boy did I ever regret that. I was up all night with the thought i was going to be hopitalized but i fought it and im recovering now. I can't even stand up straight cause my stomach hurts like a bad bruise. Ive never experianced anything like it in 28 years and hope to never experiance it again.
Take care of yourself and watch what you eat.

Jeff J

Old 10-04-2007, 05:25 PM   #3
(female)

Karen42 HB User
Re: Pyloric Stenosis in Adults

I am one of the unusaul ones to have had Pyloric Stenosis also. Usually they say that it is the first born son that has Pyloric Stenosis. My brother was the 3rd born son he had it, Also was very sick with the chicken pox. It took the doctors awhile to tell my parents that he had Pyloric Stenosis. I was born two years later. I started with the same signs my brother had. I was dignosed with Pyloric Stenosis before I had lost much weight. Why am I one of the unusaul ones to get it.. Two reason. I am a female.. which is very rare. and 2nd not to many families will see two in on family. Because I wasn't as sick as most babies who are dignosed late, I was a very strong baby. I was put into a baby straight jacket. I broke out 2 or 3 times according to my mom. I am trying to find out if others have experinced some of the same problems I have. When I was 8 I was very constipated that when I was finally able to go I had a golf size ball, that was under my scar. Since then I have had times when I move in a certin way it will also cause it to appear. They have done CAT scans to see why I get this budge, but still at the age of 42 I have no answers. I am schedule to have a Colonoscopy done at the end of Nov. They are know saying they think their maybe problems in my intestines. I am not sure if this has anything to do with my pyloric stenosis or not. I just know that my brother has never had these problems. But then again could it be because I broke out of the straight jacket and caused some damage to the doctors did to repare my overgrown muscle.

Closed Thread