It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rare Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007, 09:31 AM   #1
(female)

momi26kdz HB User
Question Teenager with weird symptoms

and the drs. seems stumped. Let me see if any of this sounds familiar to anyone.
He is 14 years old and has been having flare ups of joint pain in his knees, ankles, wrists and elbows for about a year. Not chronic pain, but flare ups. When not in a flare, he has the occassional pain in some joints, primarily after he's played basketball or something of that nature. When he's in a flare, his joints hurt constantly, some even to the touch. Some are red, warm to the touch and swollen. He also runs low grade temps, especially in the evening when in a flare up, and has almost constant nausea and fatigue. He doesn't have muscular or bone pain with this, just joint pain. The drs. hesitate to diagnosis arthritis, because his pain isn't chronic. He tested negative for lupus, lyme disease, RA factor, bloodwork came back fine, though he showed to be slightly anemic. Last year, he ran a really high fever for 10 days. Finally, after about the 8th day, the diagnosed him with "what we think is pneumonia". He had just started having the joint pain then, and it has gotten progressively worse over the last year.
As I said, the main component of all this is that his pain is not chronic, but rather flares for a few weeks, and then he's ok for a few weeks. Oh, he also has some pitting of his fingernails, but shows no other signs of psoriasis.
Any thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? The drs. told us yesterday (we took him to St. Louis Children's Hospital) that the best they can do is wait til he's in another flare and then do some tests.
Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2007, 01:40 AM   #2
(male)

chessknt87 HB User
Re: Teenager with weird symptoms

Not to belittle your concerns, but just try to wait it out. The hospital you have been referred to is very good (see rewards in [url]http://en.****pedia.org/****/St._Louis_Children%27s_Hospital[/url]) and I am sure that they will do the best they can to diagnose him. You need more information (i.e. the results of tests during a flare) before you seriously start researching it online.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:44 PM   #3
(female)

linda ficano HB User

hi.. i've been logging onto this site from time to time. My son has been diagonoise with FMF .. his symptoms seem to relate to your son. with the constant nausea and pains. What was your sons sedimentation rate? My son has a high rate when he is in a flare up. After having his blood checked by a commercial lab is when we got the confirmation it was FMF. You might want to go this route after his trip to the hospital. Unfortunately, for my son the traditional medicine "colchicine" was unsucessful for him and lately he has been relying on steroids. He is a college student and right now is in the process of taking his exams before summer vacation. We have an appointment with his doctor on the 14th to discuss the possibilities of trying a new type of perscription in which he will have to give himself injections. Anything to try and get this under control. He started getting sick in his last year of high school and FMF usually begins pre adolescents. We haven't been able to link this to any other family member but we do have a mediterranean back ground italian and spanish. Hope this info. helps.. Hang in there!

Old 05-08-2007, 12:58 PM   #4
(female)

momi26kdz HB User

When I originally posted this, I had no clue what direction to look at or anything. Through a seach of joint pain, that led to something else, that lead to something else (you know how that goes!) I came upon the periodic fever syndromes. BAM! Sounds EXACTLY like my ds. Problem is, his fevers aren't extremely high (runs continual low grade fevers when in a flare), and his ethnic groups are Hispanic and American Indian. I didn't find either of those in any of the syndromes. A year ago, when his fever was really high, his SED rate was 70, which isn't terribly high, although high enough. One of the PFS I was reading about said that an area on a lung can be misdiagnosed for pneumonia or a shadow. That is exactly what happened last year (Feb. 2006). They said they "thought" it was pneumonia, though they weren't sure. And he ran a high fever for 10 days (high meaning 102-104). Right now, he's not flaring, no pain, no fevers, so we're just having to wait it out.
thanks for sharing your experience.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:28 PM   #5
(female)

jenimami HB User

You might want to go to the myositis board I think you may find some of them related, there are a few kinds of myositis. I have it. It started when I was seven ,my poor mom and me, had to wait ten more years to find out. The docs were also stumped. But you never know,but he does sound like me. My kind of myo is the rarest which is located in one area called focal myo,but his sounds like it may be I think poliomyo, Myositis is a rare muscle disease usually located in the bodys extremeties, arms legs neck wrists. The muscles become inflamed,swollen and sometimes the area gets red.Even if it's not myo. I think you should see a rheumatologist anyway. And if you have no luck with this place. I recomend the mayo clinic in fl they will treat you like you're gods there. they're eager to help a rare case.good luck.from one ma to another.

Last edited by jenimami; 05-30-2007 at 09:30 PM.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:33 PM   #6
(female)

klp86 HB User

hi momi26kz
Have the doctors looked at autoimmune causes other than Lupus? I am 21 and was diagnosed with vasculitis recently. I have a lot of the symptoms you have mentioned: Joint pain, low fever, nausea (lost 35 lbs.), chest pain with no obvious cause (treated for bronchitis multiple times), fatigue, and swelling and redness in joints (especially ankles and feet). My feet feel like they are on fire. I also always get worse at night. I get knots in my arms and legs, discoloration in legs and feet, have an elevated heart rate, and have recently lost some sensation in one of my feet. The Cleveland Clinic is a great place to find information. I hope this helps.

Closed Thread