It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rare Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
(female)

mrschoppachop HB User
What is wrong with me???!

I found this board by searching for delayed pressure urticaria. This is my first post and I am leaning toward thinking this may be what I have. Sorry in advance if this is long...

Looking back, I am recalling more and more strange things have happened since the beginning. The first was this - I have a scar from the removal of a cyst. It's at the lower end of my tailbone, right at the beginning of my rear end crevice. It was 17 years ago that I had it removed. In Feb, it just started itching out of control one random day. I scratched at it and put some ointment on it because it was very raw and *****. within a week or two it had healed.

The next episode was after a long day at work in Feb. Came home, kicked my shoes off. Within a half hour, my feet became swollen, red and terribly itchy. I elevated and iced them and they were better the next day but very sore.

After that, it was always something new showing up when I would wake up in the morning. My ear would be swollen, hot, itchy. I would wake up with random hive looking marks on the backs of my arms or my upper thigh or stomach. Usually no bigger than the size of a quarter and not really itchy. By the end of the day, they would be gone but would reappear the next morning in different places.

At this point I decided it was time to see the doc. He said it was an allergy. Gave me antihistamine and sent me on my way. Antihisthamine seemed to help a little bit but I was constantly having issues with my feet. Even wearing comfortable shoes, at the end of the day I would have welts on my feet. Even on the bottoms of my feet. Once they were iced and elevated, they would get better but the next day they would hurt. Then after a day of hurting, they are gone.

Finally about a month ago, it became worse. I developed a "hive" on my inner thigh one morning. By that evening, it had become huge, swollen, tender, itchy. By the next day it was just horrible looking. It had to be at least 7 or 8 inches long and 4 or 5 inches wide. The next day I immediately went to the derm who took one look and said "Lyme". Sent me to an infectious disease doc, who also took one look and said "Lyme". By the time I got to him, I had another one on my other inside thigh and this one was turning purple, almost looking like a bruise. Now this was possibly due to the fact that I had been wearing a dress all day and my thighs were rubbing together. He sent me for blood tests which all came back ok except for high C-Reactive Protein. At my next visit, he said that it was probably Erythema Nodosum. Told me to go home, look it up. I did, and that really didn't seem to fit with my symptoms. He gave me Methylprednosolone which I took and helped. I only had the 6 day pack so as soon as I started to end the pills, it came back. Plus I hear that it's not a good drug to be on for long periods of time.

I had been taking antibiotics since he prescribed them, for about 3 weeks, when he misdiagnosed Lyme. They had helped a little bit. It seems that any time I come in contact with anything for long periods of time, I end up with welts/hive like things. I get them on my palms, fingers, etc. i get them on my feet as I said, from the rubbing of wearing shoes. I get them around my mid section from wearing a bra all day. I pluck my eyebrows and the area becomes red and itchy. But I don't get them all the time which is puzzling.

I also consulted the Nurse Practicioner at my job's wellness clinic. She didn't seem too concerned and said it was probably either hives or EN. I am now going back to the Infectious Disease (Lyme) doctor in 2 days. I don't think he's the right doctor to be going to at this point. I really don't know what doctor to go to. Oh, also during this time (I had had hives before I became pregnant) I found out I was pregnant and had a m/c within 3 weeks. The docs don't think that it's related to the m/c but I am not so sure.

Since being off of the methylprednosolone, already I have had a welt on my pinky finger that lasted 2 days. I also woke up one morning and my ear was so swollen and red and that lasted for 2 days. Last night i started breaking out in smaller hives on my inside thighs. There were at least a dozen on each thigh. Through the course of the day today they seemed to get better.

I am really feeling at a loss for what I could have and I just want a real dx. I am concerned that I may have something else that the docs are missing.

I really hope someone out there has been through this and can offer some insight on where to turn.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2007, 11:20 AM   #2
(female)

dreemilyn HB User
Re: What is wrong with me???!

I cant really offer too much advice but I just wanted to say not to give up and to stay strong..it'll get better. To me it really does sound like some type of allergy. Have you been to an allergist to get testing done to find out what things you are allergic to? It could be something you're eating or something you come in contact with. Keeping a food journal might help but Id definitely go and get allergy testing done if I were you. Anytime someone has hives, its usually due to an allergic reaction. Thinking of you!

Old 07-23-2007, 09:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User
Re: What is wrong with me???!

Hi Choppa---I too through the years have been suffering with all kinds of hives. Some doctors say it's thyroid because the antibodies keep going up and down and sometimes it's cold urticaria, pressure-induced urticaria, etc. One reaction that I had whenever I was exposed to pseudoephedrine(the junk in Sudafed that they're trying to outlaw), I got what is called a "bullous fixed drug eruption" that looks just like Lyme Disease. It gets huge and blisters up and I end up at the emergency room where they put me on antibiotics internally and externally. If you try to pin point everything that you've been near or ingested, you'll probably find a connection. I had to detoxify my whole body and slowly put things back in to see that I was sensitive to dyes and additives. I also have found that if I have an infection somewhere or have something wrong internally, it's like Nature's way of telling you it's wrong and get it fixed. I've been getting them more because I found I have a bad gall bladder and diverticulosis. Needless to say, I'm getting them fixed. I hope this is somewhat helpful. Take care & God bless--Hopeto

Closed Thread