It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rare Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2008, 04:33 PM   #1
(female)

connormom HB User
Question My five year old son has periodic fevers - PFAPA (Periodic Fever Syndrome)

Hi..I just found this board after 2 1/2 years of periodic fevers for my now 5 year old son. They began when he was just about 3 and he tested positve for strep a few times..but not every time he had a fever. We had a tonsilectomy scheduled, but the ENT decided the pattern was not strong enough to put him through the surgery. Over the last few years he can go up to 3 months with no fever, but then just when we think it is over he goes back to the every 21 day cycle. He was diagnosed after blood work, etc with periodic fever and we currently treat him with motrin and tylenol and wait it out. I am curious about the tonsillectomy your daughter had and if it helped..I am hesitant to start the steriod treatment..but he can't go through school losing a few days every 3 weeks. The episodes definately are more regular during the winter months..he is on his 4th fever since the beginning of Nov.

I feel so bad for him..his symptoms are restless sleeping, heachaches, dark cirlces and no appetite. Any insight is appreciated!!

Old 01-06-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
(female)

iprincessirene HB User
Re: quick update on my daughter - PFAPA (Periodic Fever Syndrome)

Hi, I'm new here and very frustrated on looking for an answer to my daughters monthly fevers. I read your post and realized maybe there is an answer for us. My daughter is 5 years old and has had fevers since I could remember.All the doctors ever say is it is a viral sickness in other words just a cold, but why every month.That is just too much stress for her body! Can you please help me on giving me advise? How did you get your doctor to listen to you? Mine doesn't even want to do blood work.Says it's to much and they would'nt know what to test for.I'm so frustrated because they think I'm just an exjerrated mother. I will mention this AFAPA next time. Thanks for your time.

A worried MOM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2008, 10:05 AM   #3
(female)

connormom HB User
Re: quick update on my daughter - PFAPA (Periodic Fever Syndrome)

Hi..I definately was told the same thing initially and it never sat right with me. Eventually a different pediatrician suggested seeing a rhuemetologist and she diagnosed it as periodic fever. The blood work he had gone through basically ruled many things out..lyme, etc. I had tracked his episodes for over a year by the time I went to Children's Hosp in Boston. Mainly they would be 3-4 weeks apart, sometimes longer..in the spring and summer mostly. She had suggested prednosolone but I was weary of the side effects. He has had 4 at regular intervals since the beginning of November and now feel we should revisit something besides Motrin. I am seeing the doctor on Thursday and will update you after that.

It is hard to watch the children feel so sick, but from all reports they should grow out of it and will not have long term issues..only bright spots!!

Old 04-05-2008, 08:14 PM   #4
(female)

noahsmama HB User
Re: My five year old son has periodic fevers - PFAPA (Periodic Fever Syndrome)

We've got an 8 year old boy who's had the fevers every 3 weeks for a year. He has been missing a lot of school but doing fine academically, and I'm a stay at home mom, so we decided against the steriod initially. We were worried about the side effects. But after a few nastier than usual bouts of fever, we felt sorry for his suffering and decided to give it a try. After ONE, very low dose (20 mg) of the steriod Prednisone, his fever went away and didn't come back (except for, of course, 3 weeks later). So instead of suffering with a sore throat, fever, low appetite, etc, for most of a week, he suffered for half a day. Now, it's been 3 weeks again, and his fever is back, so we've just given him one more dose.

Anyway, it was totally worth it for us. He is miserable when he has his fevers, and doesn't eat much for a week or two (he's already stick thin), he misses a lot of school, and we could never take a vacation because I don't want to pull him out of school just for fun, when he's already had 20 absences...

Good luck to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by connormom View Post
Hi..I just found this board after 2 1/2 years of periodic fevers for my now 5 year old son. They began when he was just about 3 and he tested positve for strep a few times..but not every time he had a fever. We had a tonsilectomy scheduled, but the ENT decided the pattern was not strong enough to put him through the surgery. Over the last few years he can go up to 3 months with no fever, but then just when we think it is over he goes back to the every 21 day cycle. He was diagnosed after blood work, etc with periodic fever and we currently treat him with motrin and tylenol and wait it out. I am curious about the tonsillectomy your daughter had and if it helped..I am hesitant to start the steriod treatment..but he can't go through school losing a few days every 3 weeks. The episodes definately are more regular during the winter months..he is on his 4th fever since the beginning of Nov.

I feel so bad for him..his symptoms are restless sleeping, heachaches, dark cirlces and no appetite. Any insight is appreciated!!

Closed Thread