It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rare Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #1
(female)

jennylee30 HB User
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome

I don't like these internet health issue things, but I have Thoracic Outlet Syndrome and I need help.
I have the rarest form of TOS and I am waiting to get an appointment at UCLA for surgery. I developed an extensive blood clot due to this condition. I already had an unsuccessful angioplasty and now I need a rib removed.
I am/was a very athletic and health conscious girl. Now I have to take blood thinners, and deal with an achy, swollen (sometimes light purple) arm.
Any information or advice would be awesome.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:36 PM   #2
(female)

cherie1955 HB User
Re: Thoracic Outlet Syndrome

I just had TOS left first rib resection 10 days ago. Very painful post op but the TOS symptoms have pretty much disappeared. My surgeon says the post op pain will subside over time. I am not sorry I had the surgery as I am beginning to get the feeling back in my hand and my blood flow is greatly improved.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2008, 07:36 AM   #3
(female)

cyndee42 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennylee30 View Post
I don't like these internet health issue things, but I have Thoracic Outlet Syndrome and I need help.
I have the rarest form of TOS and I am waiting to get an appointment at UCLA for surgery. I developed an extensive blood clot due to this condition. I already had an unsuccessful angioplasty and now I need a rib removed.
I am/was a very athletic and health conscious girl. Now I have to take blood thinners, and deal with an achy, swollen (sometimes light purple) arm.
Any information or advice would be awesome.
Hello,
Hopefully by now you have gotten some results, i also had a subclavian blood clot with mine. I just had my first rib and scalene muscle removed on April 28, 2008. I have had this since Nov. 2007. It was a long process to get through the system which i hold my family Dr, responsible for. I lost my vein due to how long it took to get sent to the right place. All seems to be going ok so far. It took two attempts to get to my rib because of how muscular i was. They tried axillary first, then had to abort that out to try over the shoulder 20 days later. Good luck

Old 05-28-2008, 10:59 PM   #4
(female)

Nanny948 HB User

I had tos surgery a couple of years ago, and did great for about 6 weeks, and then all the symptoms came back, along with feeling way worse than I had felt prior to the surgery. The doctor did not remove the 1st rib. He choose to decompress the nerves and veins. I since have been told by 3 doctors that usually the 1st rib is removed. I was wondering if your surgery is still sucessfull. I have heard a lot of times these surgeries do not hold. I don't understand why this is, but my surgery sure did not hold. Thank you for any information that you could give.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:22 PM   #5
(female)

swazy94 HB User

Hey, I am having my first rib removed for TOS on Wed. I am wondering if you all could give me some help on what to expect in terms of recovery. Anything would be appreciated. I have had my gallbladder removed and my appendix removed, so I am not a stranger to surgery. I am just not sure what to expect post-op or in terms of recovery once I leave to hospital. Thanks!!!

I had posted on the main page, but I read your replies and thought maybe you would read this and respond. : )

Closed Thread