It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rare Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
(female)

L Annie HB User
Hurtle cell cancer

I was told yesturday that this is what I have and I am scared to death what am I look at. Am I scared and would like to talk to someone(s) how know what it is like to deal with this not just a doctor who put b.s. into everthing he is telling me.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: Hurtle cell cancer

what did the docter use to make this diagnosis? Did you have thyroid surgery? I think you may get more responses on the thyroid board....you may want to post there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2008, 02:03 PM   #3
(female)

L Annie HB User

He did they biosy and I am having it taken out next week I am not sure if this is the right thing to do or not did you have this also

Old 02-20-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
(female)

L Annie HB User

Rosa are you still there

Old 02-20-2008, 02:14 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Annie View Post
He did they biosy and I am having it taken out next week I am not sure if this is the right thing to do or not did you have this also
He can't tell if you have Hurthle cell cancer from the biopsy. He can tell that you have Hurthle cells which MAY (or may not) be cancerous. Best course of action with Hurthle cells is to remove that side of the thyroid. I had hurthle cells in my FNA biopsy, but when they removed the left side of my thyroid and sent it to pathology, it was benign. It still had to come out. You're doing the right thing. Do you have a good surgeon who does a lot of thyroid surgeries?

Old 02-21-2008, 12:59 PM   #6
(female)

L Annie HB User

Hi Rosa Yes this is his field of Dr. He is really a good doctor he gave me numbers for some of the people he has treated. He did a different teat with a piece of my thyroid that they took off the side of my thyroid.It hurt more then the fnb.Annie

Old 02-21-2008, 01:11 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm glad you have a good doctor, that makes all the difference.
What test did he do?

Old 04-06-2008, 01:04 PM   #8
(female)

jack1908 HB User
Unhappy Re: Hurtle cell cancer

Hi
I have had a significant sized nodule (7+ cm) on my thyroid for three years. I am 51 years old and have been experiencing symptoms of hypothyroidism for the past several months and despite my blood work coming back normal I decided to go for a recheck of the nodule, which seemed to be getting larger.

A couple of small new growths were felt by my doc and a new ultrasound revealed 2 cysts and a new 2cm size nodule. I was ordered a new FNA for the older nodule and the new ones. The ultra sound tech could not locate the 3 new growths so only the larger, old nodule was biopsied. The FNA came back suspcious with Hurtle cells. I am scheduled to review the results with a surgeon next week.

I have been doing as much research as possible. It seems like a request to have the entire thyroid removed at the time of surgery may not be unreasonable, even if the Hurtle cells are benign, it is just a matter of time before that can change. The stress of this possibly reocurring later seems like a waste of energy when just having a total thyroidectomy is not that bothersome.

I would appreciate any feedback before my appointment nest week. Anyone dealt with this? What was the outcome? Thaks so much, all feedback welcome! Debbie

Old 04-06-2008, 11:10 PM   #9
(female)

Ashley79 HB User

Hellow again Debbie. My first piece of advice is to start a new thread on these boards. You will get more results that way and be notified by email when someone responds. That was one of the first pieces of advice someone gave me here and she was right.

I never had a FNA. They just wanted to remove the nodule regardless of what a biopsy said. I did have to have surgery twice and I kinda wish I'd had the complete surgery the first time instead of a partial. But at the same time going back a second time Knowing that it was cancer they removed a lymph node to make sure it hadn't spread. That would be a question I would ask my surgeon. "Do you plan to test any surrounding tissues during this procedure just in case it is hurthle cell carcinoma?" The surgeons "dug" around in my neck for a while during my second surgery checking for any abnormalities. The pain wasn't horrible...but who wants to go though it twice?

Keep reading the posts in here, they contain great information. I'll be looking for your new thread. God Bless. Ashley

Old 04-07-2008, 08:32 PM   #10
(female)

jack1908 HB User

Hi Ashley
I tried to start a new thread but not sure that it worked. Did you see it anywhere? I'm new at this kind of thing and not so computer savvy I suppose. Thanks again for your response.

I got in contact with a Dr. Orlo Clarks office today at UCSF Medical Center and had my medical results faxed there. I found his name on this site in another message I was reading through. I am hopeful that I can get in there but would hate to have to wait too long. We'll see... Anxious to hear back. Take good care. Debbie

Closed Thread