It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rare Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2008, 08:45 AM   #1
(female)

rmcc07 HB User
hurthle cell carcinoma

I just found out, thru a fine needle bx, that (I have a multinodular thyroid) the largest nodule (cold) has hurtle cells. I think that this means I should have surgery to check this out further. My doctor has not called me back yet and I'm extremely frustrated and worried. Do you think I should push for the surgery?

Old 03-09-2008, 12:33 PM   #2
(female)

Ashley79 HB User
Re: hurthle cell carcinoma

I think you should. I was scheduled for a biopsy but intead they decided to take out my left lobe to actually test the nodule. This was on 2-20-08. Wednesday I was diagnosed with hurthle cell carcinoma and I'm going back into surgery 3-18. I wish I'd had the total thyroid removed the first time. The problem with hurthle cell is they can't diagnos cancer until they examine the actual nodule. My nodule was 7.5cm which worries me. The report said it appears to be limited to the thyroid but doesn't say anything about vascular invasion. I am only 28 and very scared. My Dr has given me the worst case senario just so i can be prepared if has spread. They are also going to test my lymph nodes during surgery. If they are also cancerous they plan to remove all the lymph nodes in my neck and possibly some muscle too. This is still new to me. I've been researching alot and reading other peoples post. I now have a ton of questions for him. I'm scared because no one else seems to have had such a large nodule or such aggressive treatment. But he told me they were going to be very aggresive because i'm so young and they want to get it out of the way while my body can handle it. So my advice is to have the surgery in order to get the correct diagnosis. My nodule was ignored for a year because it fluctuated in size and my harmone levels were fine. Also i didn't notice it until it was quite visible. Has anyone else had such a large nodule? Wish you the best and keep us posted. Maybe we can go through this together

Ashley

Last edited by Ashley79; 03-09-2008 at 02:14 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2008, 11:37 AM   #3
(female)

brigid99 HB User

To Ashley and others,

I had a total thyroid removal on Feb. 27, 2008. I had two tumors. One was quite large. In fact, one of the surgeons made the comment that it looked more like they were doing a C-section than a thyroidectomy!

The main tumor was 8.3 cm x 6.0 x 5.3 and according to the pathology report (which I just got yesterday at the drs. office) showed both vascular and capsular invasion. Categorized as a hurthle cell carcinoma. The smaller tumor (.5 cm) is follicular of probable malignancy.

I am not sure what this really means, since I am just now doing research on the cancer aspect of what I have now that I have a definitive diagnosis. I meet with the radiology dr. later this week.

I had my Fine Needle Biopsy in January of this year and got an indeterminate test result on it probably due to the fact that it IS very difficult to tell if it is cancer if the slides show the presence of hurthle cell involvement.

I am very glad that my surgeons recommended a TOTAL thyroid removal. If your endo dr. or any surgeon recommends a partial removal--run--fast!

I have been told that this is a very treatable form of cancer and that reoccurance rates are very low. I prefer to remain optimistic, but also it helps learning more about this disease. I have also been told by my surgeons that anytime you have this type of tumor and it's smaller than 4-5 cm, that it makes it an easier surgery and the likelihood for recovery and remission, is greater.

All the best to everyone!

Old 04-05-2008, 08:53 PM   #4
(female)

Ashley79 HB User

To Brigid

There is alot of good information out there, especially on these boards since they are first hand experiences. It's very scary and I know how you feel. Being optomistic is the best approach to this. In fact I think it's the only logical approach. Luckily I didn't have any invasion so I was spared some of what lies ahead of you but you will be ok. If you have any questions or just want to vent post it and i'll respond. May God bless you.

Lots of Hugs and Prayers

Ashley

Closed Thread