It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rare Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2008, 07:17 AM   #1
(female)

jack1908 HB User
Exclamation Hurtle Cells detected

Hi everyone
I have had a 7+ cm nodule on the left lobe of my thyroid found three years ago. After some recent symptoms of hypothyroidism I had the nodule rechecked as my blood work resulted in normal readings. After a fna my doctor notified via telephone message that hurtle cells were found and he recommended surgery to determine cancer. That was last week.

I do not have an appointment until this Friday so have been researching on my own. So much information out there but this message board has been most helpful. From my research thus far I am considering requesting a total thyroidectomy as opposed to a only my left lobe and the nodule removed.

Also does anyone know the likihood of hurtle cells eventually manifesting to cancer even if they initially reveal no cancer? Any feedback is sooo welcomed. Thanks. Debbie

Old 04-07-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
(female)

Ashley79 HB User
Re: Hurtle Cells detected

Hi Debbie,

It looks like you created the thread correctly. I agree with requesting a toal thyroidectomy. I think I read somewhere that hurthle cells will eventually turn into cancer but I'm not sure. I have a folder with all my research so I will look for it and let you know where to find the information. If your not confident in your Dr then you are doing the right thing looking into another one. It's important that you are both on the same page with your treatment. Wishing you the best.

God Bless

Ashley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2008, 06:23 AM   #3
(female)

jack1908 HB User

Thanks Ashley- I guess you found it! My doctor, who I have only seen 3 times, the first being a couple of years ago when the nodule was first dicovered, and at that time he said it was the size of a golf ball (!), he sent me for a MRI and he also did a fna which came back with no suspicious cell growth. He said to just monitor it.

I wish he would have recommended it be removed then and maybe now I wouldn't be in this predicament. Woulda, shouda, coulda, ...won't waste time there! So he leaves me this message on my voicemail last week, about the results of the fna and Hurthle cell findings and the suspiciousness, and not knowing whether or not it is cancer until I have surgery, and that he doesn't do surgery anymore so he is referring me to another doc in his practice. Then when I call him back the following day he is too busy to speak to me to answer any questions and an appointment isn't available for 2 weeks, with him or the doc he is referring me to. So yea, I'm looking for a new doctor for sure. I do meet with his associate on Friday. The only answers I have learned about my condition are only through my research on the internet. All new stuff to me! What a way to be told such scarey news. My whole experience at the ultrasound/fna procedure was another nightmare. That's another story... None of it feels good to me, so looking for some sense of comfort in a very uncomfortable situation!

This is a bit long-winded! Thanks for being there. Debbie

Last edited by jack1908; 04-08-2008 at 06:23 AM.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:02 PM   #4
(female)

Ashley79 HB User

Hi Debbie

Sorry for such a slow response. We have had two soccer tournaments and I have a horrible cold now.

Anyway, that really sucks! I can't believe this doctor would give you such information through voicemail. Once again I think it's very important that you are comfortable with your doctors. With so much going through your mind at a time like this you need to be able to trust your doctors. The less stress the better. I also think considering the possibilities with such a large nodule they should be moving quicker. But I am not a doctor. My surgeon refused to do the biopsy my primary Dr requested and scheduled the surgery instead, which worked out in my favor. I think it was scheduled not quite a month from the biopsy date. It's great that you are educating yourself to make sure you recieve the right treatment. Don't give up. You will find the right surgeon.

God Bless
Ashley

Old 04-17-2008, 06:39 AM   #5
(female)

jack1908 HB User

Hi Ashley
Thanks for the support! Sorry about the nasty cold- allergies here, and dreadful! I found a surgeon in San Francisco at UCSF, and was "cleared" to be seen after they received my records. My first appointment is May 2nd. Finally, excited to talk to a real face about this situation and not pages of research on a computer screen, as helpful as the computer has been.

So, thinking positive and looking forward to the appointment! I will keep you posted. Thanks for being out there, you just don't know how helpful it is to have such a kind person respond back to you when you are going through such an uncertain time. Thanks so much! Debbie

Closed Thread