It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rare Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
(female)

crystal44 HB User
Question MY 7ry OLD SON HAS PFAPA (PERIODIC FEVER SYNDRME)

My 7yr old son was seen by an infectious desease doctor due to recurrent high fevers with headaches, sore throat, sinus congestion, stomach aches, back aches and sometimes a cough. We were told that they think it is PFAPA. His fevers come every few weeks and they range from 103 to 104.7 and it takes us rotating tylenol and motron every two hours just to keep it around 101 to 102. Inbetween episodes he is perfectly normal. He does have problems with his eyes hurting and being blood shot, has anyone else had that problem? We have been directed to give him a dose of prednison at the start of his fevers to try and reduce the number of days the fever will run. They have also mentioned taking out his tonsiles. What do you think about these two treatments?

Last edited by crystal44; 04-22-2008 at 05:20 PM.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

claflamme HB User
Re: MY 7ry OLD SON HAS PFAPA (PERIODIC FEVER SYNDRME)

I am at a lost my daughters rheumatologist tested her for 2 of the periodic fevers hyper IgD and mediteranean fever we waited 2 months almost for the results and they were neg. We all thought for sure she has hyper IgD because she has recurrent fevers. Since 1 yr old she is now almost 4 1/2 yrs old.
They only last between 1-3 days but are 102-105 degrees. With no known cause or infection. They come in groups and occur every month. around the same time. Then take about a 4 month break. Then when we think they are gone for good they return and start the cycle again. I think usually a virus or a cold may start them. Like she was on a break from then, Then she got over a cold and she got her first one again april 5th. I guess we'll see if this is it again in may.
If anyone has any thoughts please let me know. We have been clueless since she was a year old.
Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
(female)

noble03 HB User

Hi..I am new to this but have been on a desperate search for some answers. My 7 yr old son has very HIGH fevers, usually every 4-5 weeks. When he was about 3-4 he had them every 28-30 days. They last 5 to 6 days and we empty bottles of fever meds into him. the docs all do the same thing, check the throat, test for strep, test for Mono always Neg. They look at me like I am crazy, I have even brought in notes that covered a few years back. What do I do next? Also he does have an "allergy" problem and takes daily Zurtec. Otherwise he is very healthy...only had antib 2 times in his life.

The Following User Says Thank You to noble03 For This Useful Post:
karlsberg (08-24-2011)
Old 05-11-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

claflamme HB User

You could ask his dr about testing for periodic fevers, The only treatment for them is a low dose of prednisone, That they say helps them. But as the child gets older the fevers will space apart and will become less frequent and usually the child will outgrow them. (hopefully)
Good luck,So far my daughter hasn't gotten another one yet.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:49 PM   #5
(male)

bek23 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by claflamme View Post
You could ask his dr about testing for periodic fevers, The only treatment for them is a low dose of prednisone, That they say helps them. But as the child gets older the fevers will space apart and will become less frequent and usually the child will outgrow them. (hopefully)
They do eventually resurface. I'm 26 and have PFAPA and mine started reoccuring when I was 20. Not nearly as frequent for me though. Once ever 3 months or so is the norm. I once had two fevers 6 weeks apart but that hasn't been the norm since then. Intensity and duration isn't always the same. Last August I had a fever of 104. The last two times(January and April) they've peaked at about 101. The fevers that are more intense last about 5 days... the lower ones last about 3 days.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:05 AM   #6
(female)

cissa4 HB User

Be careful not to confuse PFAPA and the heriditary periodic fever syndromes such as TRAPPS and the others. Children will outgrow the PFAPA, but the heriditary ones are a whole different ballpark. These you do not outgrow, and have some more serious symptoms that you live with your entire life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claflamme View Post

Old 06-18-2008, 08:40 AM   #7
(female)

blondiegirly26 HB User

Here is a very helpful thread about this topic: [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=86861[/url]

its no longer open, but it was very helpful for me to read all of the postings on it

Closed Thread