It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rare Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
(female)

stacyeb HB User
Could my 8 year old son have PFAPA?

Hi,

I'm new on this board, and I posted this question in a reply on another thread (and I think I messed up on the heading--it shows I'm a newbie!), so I thought I'd repost my question.

I also have been wanting to write about my son who will be 9 in August. Last February, he had a serious bout with strep (positive quick test at the ER) that took two rounds of antibiotics to wipe out. However, after that, he started having periodic fevers, usually about 26 days apart, although there have been a few times that lasted less than this and once longer. It always starts the same way: chills, low grade fever that slowly builds to around 103-104, red swollen throat (but not sore), white spots on throat and tonsils, no appetite, malaise, and headache. He doesn't usually have any other symptoms, although we're in the middle of one right now and his nose is itchy. The fevers last around 4 or 5 days and are worse in the evening than in the morning. He is normal the rest of the time, although I have noticed that his appetite has lessened since all of this began. His brother and sister never come down with this. And he's been cultured and quick tested--always negative for strep. We went to an immunologist last month who mentioned cyclic neutropenia, but when she saw his blood work (taken at the end of the last time), he was slightly anemic, had an equivocal results for Epstein Barr, and had a sedimentation rate of 27, and she seemed to think it ruled out cyclic neutropenia, although I don't think this was thorough enough (His neutrophil count was normal at the end of his last fever). We are waiting on his cbc from yesterday to see what it looks like at the beginning of a cycle, since he started getting sick a few days ago.

Has anyone had a child who started having symptoms later than the preschool years or infancy? Is it thought that a cold virus could set it off? Do other children have learning disabilities or other delays who have been diagnosed? My son also has ADHD, sensory issues, speech delay, and dyslexia. Thank you for your help! This whole experience has been so terribly worrying. Stacy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread