It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rare Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008, 09:52 PM   #1
(female)

Maryellen77 HB User
30+ years of several kinds of Urticaria

I have had 30 plus years of urticaria with the symptoms starting mostly at night at first, but sometimes during the day also. Very intense to the point of being unbearable. Also occurs when removing tight clothing which could be the delayed pressure type. I finally found relief in taking 5 to 10 ml of amitryptline which is a generic form of Elavil. If taken regularly, my urticaria is nonexistant but it returns after a week off the medication. My physician says that amitryptline has more antihistamine qualities than it does mood elevation. It is also a great pain reliever, as I have had chronic pain in the legs for 5 years. One of the side effects for me was sleepiness but after a few weeks I adjusted. It helps to take it at bedtime. I was able to cut my dosage after a number of years to 5 mg (1/2 tablet) two times per week and it still continued to keep the urticaria completely silent. I was put back on 10 mg per night when the pain syndrome started. It helps greatly with it, but I am having a hard time eliminating the sleepiness now. Possibly due to my age. I hope this helps someone. I had to go to 5 different doctors after researching on the computer to get one to prescribe it. But that was quite a few years ago and more doctors are open to our computer research now. A cause for my urticaria and pain has not been determined. I am just happy for total relief in the urticaria and partial relief in the pain. I do know that 40% of the urticaria sufferers have thyroid problems. Urticaria and thyroid problems are thought to be autoimmune.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread