It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rare Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
(female)

stephyp HB User
how to treat gilberts disease

hi there i was told by my docter that i have low levels on iron which would be a cause of gilberts disease. I wasnt given much info from my doctor about what i should do from now or why i have it. after speacking to my parents they confirmed i had Jaundice as a child. My main concern is fatigue and yellowing of the eyes (which is constantly there) cold you please give me any info on this and what i should do from here on? I am currently taking iron pills to get my iron levels up. Thanks

Old 02-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
Re: how to treat gilberts disease

Hi there,

Iron deficiency and gilbert's disease are two different entities. Gilbert's disease is a benign disorder where there is a slight deficiency of a liver enzyme which "conjugates" bilirubin so that it can be processed and eventually excreted by the kidneys. With this deficiency, the levels of UNCONJUGATED bilirubin rise in the blood, and because it can't be excreted by the kidneys, you can see a little bit of yellow in the eyes. Usually the yellowing is not a problem until the body is under stress as in an illness.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread