It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rare Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2009, 07:34 AM   #1
(female)

lotusseeds HB User
Question PFAPA with PANDAS?

Anyone have a child who had PFAPA and their child also had facial ticks with it? My ENT thinks my son also has facial ticks realted to PANDAS. Just curious.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
(female)

krwalters HB User
Re: PFAPA with PANDAS?

My child has not had facial tics but my neighbor's child did and she even consulted a neurologist and was concerned about Tourette's syndrome. She sts since his tonsillectomy last summer, the facial tics have disappeared. Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #3
(female)

curlzz31 HB User

We do not yet have a diagnosis for our 2.5 daughter, however, the PFAPA description fits her to a tee (fevers every 3 weeks for a year, sore throat, lasts 5 days, well in-between etc). She also suffers from a sporadic motor tic, which always gets worse when she is fevered. The paed. says to ignore them, and she has been assessed by neurology also who concurs.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:51 AM   #4
(female)

msnyder HB User

My son has had the PANDAS symptoms for six years. It has gotten worse over time with repeat exposures to strep. It seems he gets relapses even from exposure or virals. It causes explosive moods, obsessions over marked likes, urination frequency, chorea movements which are tics of his fingers and toes, ADD which causes a lack of focus on the right things, inability to fall asleep and to seperate from me.
We have had real trouble getting Dr's to treat and understand his symptoms. Currently at age seven he is on several meds for symptoms 10 mg Abilify for tics and mood swings, 18 mg of Concerta for attention and obsessions, and Omnicef to keep the strep away. We are currently seeing a psychiatrist because the other Dr's are not sure how to treat. I have read IVIG and a steroid burst can help. If anyone else knows how to treat I would love to talk.
By the way, the symptoms originated during a high fever which turned out to strep. I thought initially the fevers brought on the tics but the Dr's said the tics were a sign of the illness. It seems after fevers the tics always come out again. Each episode lasts about two months where he cracks his fingers and toes. The Dr's laughed when I told them I thought the fevers caused the tics.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Fevers and facial tics can be caused by Lyme disease...so yes, there may be a connection. Psychiatric symptoms (mood swings, ADH, and bi-polar symptoms) can also be symptoms of Lyme.

Patients with undiagnosed infections may get worse with steroid treatment...

If symptoms get worse with antibiotic treatment, it may indicate the antibiotic is doing its job.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-08-2009 at 07:02 AM.

Closed Thread