It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rare Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
(female)

alisam HB User
rashes that look like scratches that come and go

my son suffers from some strange rashes that can appear anywhere on his body, look like scratches on relief (higher on the skin), sometimes itchy.
they can appear in any size and shape and out of nowhere, last a few minutes and disappear.
sometimes he just touches a part of his body and they appear....
he has been told by doctors it might be hives but he tried all antihistamines possible, with no change.
any ideas?

Old 04-09-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: rashes that look like scratches that come and go

A couple of things come to mind...first of all I would recommend that you take pictures of these rashes so the doctors can see exactly what you are talking about.

Secondly, you might want to compare your son's rashes to other rashes, like the erythema migrans rashes to see if there are any similarities.

Thirdly, you might want to explore the possibility of the bacterial infection, bartonella, also known as cat-scratch fever, which is a bacterial infection that presents with red rashes that look like stretch marks...other symptoms of bartonella include swollen lymph nodes, muscle/joint pain, nausea, vomiting, chills, anxiety, and problems sleeping.

But again, take pictures so you have some documentation for diagnosis.

Good luck!

Bethsheba

PS I just realized you're "new"...Welcome to the boards!!

Last edited by bethsheba; 04-09-2009 at 07:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2009, 12:49 AM   #3
(female)

alisam HB User

thanks for your reply.
how do i load pics?
also it does not seem to fit the possibilities you suggested.....
the strangest thing is that they appear if he puts some pressure on a spot....

Old 04-10-2009, 06:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Alisam,

You're welcome for the reply. Board rules forbid pix...so please don't load them....and I couldn't tell you how to load them even if I tried, grin! I simply mention those possibilities as something to investigate as sometimes one thing leads to another...and the important thing is not all docs know what they are looking at so if you can gather additional info, it may be of help.

Several conditions present with rashes...I doubt that the condition is rare, but more likely not easy to diagnose.

If I come across something later, I'll post. But the only two conditions I can think of right now that present with rashes are lupus and lyme disease.

Bethsheba

Old 04-10-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

I'm guessing it's Dermatographism, aka skin writing. I have that and cold urticaria (cold hives). Both are considered "physical allergies" and they can be brought on by heat, cold, pressure on the skin, water, sweat, even extreme emotions. Most of the time folks only have one or two of these.

Your son may need more than antihistamines. Do take pics if his doctor hasn't seen the 'scratches' yet. Hot showers can make dermatographia worse.

Good news, kids often outgrow mild physical allergies.

Last edited by AuntieLeela; 04-10-2009 at 08:52 PM.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
(female)

zjct HB User

Hi have you ever found out about these rashes your son had? we are going through similar experience with my daughter, .... hers on the other side appear out of nowhere, without touching the skin. looks like scratches and they dissapear within 1 minute. no itching.

Thanks.

I hope he is better now.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:19 AM   #7
(female)

alisam HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjct View Post
Hi have you ever found out about these rashes your son had? we are going through similar experience with my daughter, .... hers on the other side appear out of nowhere, without touching the skin. looks like scratches and they dissapear within 1 minute. no itching.

Thanks.

I hope he is better now.
hi
my son started like that too, only later the scratching started. it was actually hives: it is not clear where hives come from and why but, he found some good combination of antihistamin and as long as he took it it was fine. it went away by itself after a few months

Old 05-11-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
(female)

kgm89 HB User

I have the same issue with rashes that show up like scratches. I was perscribed fexofenadine 2 times a day but it doesn't help. I know i have super sensetive skin. I never notice any reason for these rashes to show up. but when they do they itch and get hot. They go away faster if i put something cold on them. They will show up anywhere on my body. I would love to figure out how to get rid of this and to know what exactly i am dealing with.

I have been dealing with this for about 2 years now. It embarrasing wearing shorts or short sleeves or even a bathing suit because if my rash shows up everyone will ask... Who scratched you?!

Last edited by kgm89; 05-11-2011 at 10:27 AM.

Closed Thread